Peach ll -- Tube amp combo.....

SWL

I want to get a tube power amp to use with my Peach ll preamp and RF-7's.

I'm presently using XTI 2000's that are 475 wpc @ 8 ohms........Plenty of power but not quite the sound quality I heard from a Peach/ 35 watt stereo VRD that I heard a few months back.

I've heard quite a few tube amps in the past few months......now I want the best of both worlds.....the power of the Crown amps and the sound quality of the tubes. Any suggestions?

I mostly listen to rock music........the amp has to be capable of driving the 7's to serious output levels.

Thanks in advance. [:D]

now I want the best of both worlds.....the power of the Crown amps and the sound quality of the tubes. Any suggestions?

Not intended to be a wise butt...

Can you biamp those speakers? (I'm not really familar with RF7's). this way you could put a tube on the top end and keep your solid state on the bottom (a mix I've done at one point)

the amp has to be capable of driving the 7's to serious output levels.

Serious output levels (I'm not sure how you define that) might require serious watts which might requre serious dollars.... with no guarantee that you'll still like the end result (does that 30,40, 80, 4,000 watt amp still have the juice you want kinda thing)

perhaps a faster journey to your goal might be a larger pair of speakers, be they...(insert name of larger speaker or insert name of even larger speaker) I've gotta think that moving to bigger guns has got to be the quickest way to more firepower?

My .02 kinda thing...

[:D]

I would consider trying out one of rht QSC amps. For a straight up SS power amp, they are a good amp. If you knew that 25 to 40 or so watts was enough, see about one of Mark's Crowns that he has modified. Probably now enough oomph for the RF-7, though. The bigger guns options still applies, or course.

Bruce

VRD's are always a popular option. Craig Otsby is known for his good work.

Anything that Will Vincent has rebuilt will be a near work of art.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstube&1219870157

I had a pair of Mark III's that Will rebuilt that were the best amps I've ever heard.

I've read that the original Dynacos are so so..........but the rebuilds are pretty decent sound. What are the ST-70's........70 wpc? Might work well with my RB-75's (bookshelf version of the RF-7's). [*-)]

I am not sure what your set up is, but have you considered bi-amping your speakers?

It would require an electronic crossover before the amplifiers, but that could also present some other advantages (steep filters, time alignment etc). You could then use a modest size amp for the mids and get that clarity in the mids that tube-folks are so fond of and at the same time have plenty of power for the lows. It is not a simple swap since considerable planning is required regarding how the crossover is set up (including volume control etc), but others have done this and a search of threads could be a good start.

Good Luck,

-Tom

Right now I'm running four RF-7's in a bi-amp configuration.......with four Crown XTI 2000's. I'm crankin' along pretty good.

As good as it sounds to my ears.......it took about a week to get used to the sound that I have in comparison to the Peach/VRD/RF-7 setup I heard months back. My system has much more "drive" but lacks the detail and realism of the tubes.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it's becoming evident to me that if I want to match the performance that I now have with the Crown's.......with tubes........it's gonna get pretty expensive........and that I don't need right now.

Perhaps a two-channel tube amp......say 35wpc......with the Peach ll would work better with my second system that consists of two RB-75's?

The ST-70 is 35 wpc. You need a minimum of 60 wpc.

It's not anything I would ever use, I just can't think of anything else that would reach earbleed levels.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatube&1218826696

Ummmm the god awful worst tube amplifier I ever had on my bench. I refused to even bother upgrading it.

The ST-70 is 35 wpc. You need a minimum of 60 wpc.

It's not anything I would ever use, I just can't think of anything else that would reach earbleed levels.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatube&1218826696

Ummmm the god awful worst tube amplifier I ever had on my bench. I refused to even bother upgrading it.

The Jolida or the ST-70?

I'm assuming you're talking about the Jolida..........I recall negative remarks about those amps. How about the rebuilt Dynacos? They seem pretty affordable.

"Ummmm the god awful worst tube amplifier I ever had on my bench."

You say that about almost everything currently made; AES, Cary, Quicksilver, Cayin, etc. When you're on a budget you have a choice between a lot of watts or less watts of higher quality. There's just not much of anything out in the tube world for around a thousand that has the kind of muscle he said he was looking for -- this Jolida is one of the few. The one in the ad has also already been modified by Part Connexion (Chris Johnson of Sonic Frontiers), so it's not likely that it sucks.

"Ummmm the god awful worst tube amplifier I ever had on my bench."

The one in the ad has also already been modified by Part Connexion (Chris Johnson of Sonic Frontiers), so it's not likely that it sucks.

Ummmm yes it's very likely.... The only upgrade that could fix that amp would have to include two new output transformers, a new power transformer and a redesigned power supply.... among other things.......

And no I leave the description of God Awful for a few deserving amplifiers.....

If someone is on a budget and wants "lots a watts" I'd suggest sticking with Solid State and save some bucks long term for a Quality higher powered tube amplifier. Why the heck dive into a tube amp with the maintenance if its going to sound no better then a mid level SS amplifier?

Craig