36 hours from now - Exit Mundi?

pauln

The Large Hadron Collider is scheduled to activate in one day and 12 hours, see countdown clock here.

The scientists have acknowledged that there remains a very, very, very, very small probability that the microscopic black holes created in the collider may accidently consume the entire earth... they are not supposed to exist long enough to cause any trouble, but if a couple of them combine the evaporation rate may not be fast enough to overcome the subsequent accumulation rate, in which case the resultant little black hole will get larger as it consumes the machine, the scientists, then the facility, the region, the continent, and eventually the whole Earth. Or more likely, not...?

It may be impossible to guarantee a zero possibility of problems or even catastrophe, but the researchers at CERN don't strike me as careless or suicidal types. This project could bring out some really interesting new knowledge and I'm curious to hear about it.

At least the objection is sort of realistic, unlike the objections that surfaced during the MoHole project, when some were concerned that drilling into the Earth's crust could release demons from Hell. It was a sea-bottom project, but I suppose the folks fearing the demons assumed they could easily swim up through the 11,700 feet of water to harass us.

The Russians drilled an extremely deep hole into the crust, the Kola Superdeep Borehole, completed in 1989, 12,262 metres deep (40,230 ft or 7.62 miles), that later inspired the "Well to Hell" hoax.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Well_to_Hell_hoax