Inexpensive tube options for RF-7s

maseline_98

That is going to be tough. You may be able to find a vintage tube amp for $300 but it will probably need more money to get it working up to it's potential. I think $500 is a more realistic amount of money.

Someone on the forum might know of a deal, check the Garage sale section on the forum for any deals.

What tube amp/s did you hear and did you hear them on RF 7s?

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatube&1220549239

The fisher x-100c 17.5 watts.......$350 on agon....I don't know what you will be getting yourself into repair-wise....a good set of tubes can cost well over $350 (although)the new JJ tesla's.....New Tung-sols do a very nice job for 1/4 the price of NOS

If it were me...I'd get a good SS amp If my budget were only $300......ya got a whole world of choices in that price range....

I picked up an Onix SP3 and have been pleasantly surprised. It is German designed but built in China. They can be had new for $1000 and used on audiogon or ebay for under $700. I paid $550 for mine. There is one on ebay right now item number 280253677085. It comes with 5881 tubes but you can roll any of the 6L6 family of tube including 350Bs which I am running. The 38WPC should be enough for the RFs.

IMG_0445.JPG

Are there any expensive tube options for the RF-7s?

Cost no object? How about Canary Audio Reference One 80WPC 300B PP monster ampifier. Eight matched pairs of 300B tubes per channel.

Ref-One.jpg

ref002.jpgref003.jpg

Rated Power Output:

80 Watts RMS

Input Sensitivity:

0.53 Volts for full output

Input Impedance:

470,000 Ohms

Frequency Response:

+/- 1 dB from 8 Hz to 80,000 Hz

Total Harmonic Distortion:

10W output: <0.07%

50W output: <0.18%

80W output: <1.0%

Signal-to-Noise Ratio:

-100 dB below 80 Watts

Damping Factor:

Power Consumption:

380 Watts (true RMS)

Output Impedance:

4, 8 Ohm

Tube Complement (per channel):

8 x 300B

3 x 6SN7GTB

1 x 6SL7

Dimensions (per channel):

17" W x 30.5" D x 11" H

Net Weight (per channel):

140 lbs

What tube amp/s did you hear and did you hear them on RF 7s?

I actuallly have never heard any tube amps(that's why my budget is so low-->Plus I'm not rich and my WAF seems to be low these days as well...lol). The tube amp is just kinda something for me to fool around with. People have spoke of good things about tube and the Klipsch, but no (reasonable) model has ever been presented for me to take a listen myself. I'm going to be getting a SS for myself for xmas(emo mps-2-->doesn't seem like it can be beat for the $$$). I have "approval" for that(mainly because the ol' lady likes the HT experience that I recently got her into...sometimes she's like a child...she doesn't know she likes something until you force feed 'em it....sshhhhh....don't tell her I said that....then there won't be any new amps...lol)....the tube amp is another thing is a whole another thing...it's just something for me to try on a 2-channel scale and see how it sounds...I'd like to hear my RF-7s a little warmer....

All tube amps don't sound "warm". In fact, most of the low cost chinese types that are out sound brighter and more irritating than some solid state I've heard. If bent on hearing the warm, darker sound -- go vintage integrated (Scott, Eico).

Don't the rf-7's have some pretty wicked impedance drops? Make sure you get an amp that can handle those.

They drop just below four ohms at around 100Hz and again at around 10kHz. I ran mine with a lot of different tube stuff, and I never had a problem. Well, now that I think about it -- I did toast the bias resistors on both my Canarys and my QUADS -- but I'm sure running them into a dead short had nothing to do with it. :)