Daughter heading into surgery tomorrow

dkp

David, you have a beautiful family. I've said a prayer for your daughter Sophia and will continue to do so. My youngest daughter underwent surgery at TX Childrens hospital last month. I can appreciate what you're going through. I pray for strength for you, your daughter and your entire family.

Carl

WOW, definitely in my thoughts and prayers. It IS amazing what technology and surgeons have to work with these days. Knowing what they are capable of by using these new tools and knowledge can really make surgury something a little less to worry about since earlier days. Amazing.

Best wishes to a speedy recovery.

Wow, a heartfelt thanks to all who have posted. Your comments mean a great deal to us. Sophia just went onto the bypass machine and is now at the point where the repairs are being made. Everything has progressed very smoothly today, although her oxygen level was about 7/8 points lower than normal.

Carl-we saw an electrophysiologist here at DeVos Children's Hospital around a year ago when they were looking deeper into Sophia's rhythm issues. The physician came from a Texas hospital, perhaps the one you were at. His name is Arnold Fendrich and he would be listed under with their pediatric cardiologists.

Thanks again to everyone who has posted.

A quick update: Sophia is finished with her surgery and is now in her room in the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit. Everything went very well throughout. We saw her briefly as she was being transferred from the operating room to her room in the PICU. We were able to give her a quick kiss and then she was whisked off.

As you can imagine, we are on the edges of our seats as we await the phone call informing us that we may go see her.

PostSurgery014.jpg

I wish I had a before and after picture of her hands. If any of you have ever seen someone who is in Congestive Heart Failure you know what the nailbeds, tongue and lips look like. Sophia's nailbeds have always been blue and her fingers swollen to the first knuckle. You can see faint traces of this in this picture but the difference is absolutely astounding. Just seeing this has brought us to tears.

She is still on the ventilator but is breathing 29 breaths per minute on her own and the vent is doing about 10. They are planning on removing the vent sometime today. The rack of meds and iv pumps behind her is also being diminished. Her heart has been relying on the pacemaker a bit more than they expected but most of that data was surgery +24hours and there are still many, many variables that all play into one another that may be affecting that. All in all she is doing great.

As a matter of fact, she stirred greatly this morning when she heard our voices. They are still medicating her to keep her still but I imagine she's going to really be fighting it within the next 24 hours. Sophia is definitely a fighter and they will have a hard time keeping her still. What an absolutely emotional few days it has been and will continue to be. I'm definitely going to need a vacation after this.

Thanks again to all who have posted in this thread. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Those nailbeds look wonderfully perfused and well oxygenated. I saw this thread earlier and hesitated to post because I have seen these go sideways. These are not simple procedures and she has gone through a lot. Look for good and consistent blood pressures, regular pulse rates and EKG patterns, good urine output and no fevers. Her level of consciousness should come up more and more and soon she'll be out of SICU and out to the floor. Congratulations and continued blessings.