Amtrak experiences?

colterphoto1

I'm thinking of a little cross country jog and wonder if Amtrak would be the way to go. I don't have any gear other than a couple days clothes, can sleep or read in moving vehicles just fine. This particular trip would be about two hours drive to meet the train, then about 15 hours with several stops. I'll have an overnight before my event and again will have a full nights sleep before embarking for home.

The trip will cost about as much as the fuel to get there, save wear on my car, I'll hopefully arrive refreshed. Besides, I like a great adventure and something different. I remember a train trek as a young boy with my folks and have wanted to do it again. And I ran sound at the Union Station stage in Indy for two years, so train stations are dear to my heart. I may choose to arrive at a very grand Union Station which would be a cool addition to the trip.

What is the comfort and noise levels of an Amtrak coach class seat? Comfy enough to sleep? Big enough for a big guy? Meals on board or do you get off at a stop?

In other words, if you did a trip like this, would you do it again?

thanks,

Michael

Nothing like rail travel! Seats are like airline first class. Very quiet and smooth. A good engineer can start a passenger train and you won't even notice unless you are looking out the window.

PAW and I booked a first class cabin from Houston to Boston a few years back. Double bed, sofa day set with a large seat on the other side with a table at the enormous window, private bath/shower. Unbelievable. Even the the cost was competitive with driving/hotel/dining for a trip. Plus, the ride was a vacation in itself.

The club car was a party that went on from when it opened until closing...can't recall when that was for obvious reasons. All kinds of fascinating people to chat with.

Some folks trip on it, others don't get it. If you trip on it, go Amtrak first class and getting there will be about 90% of the fun! Heck, when you are late it's just that much more fun...

Dave

I got stuck on a train from Portland, Or to LA to Little Rock, AR WITH OUT A SLEEPER CAR. One of the worse travel experiences of my life. However, the scenery was stunning.

I assume that would have been the Empire to Chicago and the Texas Eagle south, or the Starlight south and Sunset to Houston, and Texas Eagle north. Very strange. I've never known any of these to run without sleepers, SuperLiners at that.

When was this? While coach is easily as comfortable as first class air, I certainly wouldn't want to spend more than a night without at least a sleeper, and I really prefer a cabin when the treasury supports it.

Dave

Thanks guys. This trip would be the Capitol Limited from Chicago to DC. in the spring.

Dave, sound like you know a lot about the rail system. Any tips on this particular daily route? I'll be travelling alone so a sleeper bunk is not in the budget. Is it really comfy for snoozing overnight on the train?

I got stuck on a train from Portland, Or to LA to Little Rock, AR WITH OUT A SLEEPER CAR. One of the worse travel experiences of my life. However, the scenery was stunning.

I assume that would have been the Empire to Chicago and the Texas Eagle south, or the Starlight south and Sunset to Houston, and Texas Eagle north. Very strange. I've never known any of these to run without sleepers, SuperLiners at that.

When was this? While coach is easily as comfortable as first class air, I certainly wouldn't want to spend more than a night without at least a sleeper, and I really prefer a cabin when the treasury supports it.

Dave

This was a while back and it was just a poor communication
that caused the problem. I didn't have the money at the time to upgrade and they didn't offer a break. I would
like to make a trip west again as it was beautiful.

Little Rock to Chicago stopped in Denver then to Portland Oregon

Return non stop Portland LA Dallas Little Rock

There were sleeper cars but I didn't get one but thought I did. Wasn't expecting to make the return trop but had to at the last minute. Long story. Actually some swingers invited me to their cabin and I almost took them up on it.... That is desperate LOL......

Michael,

I have only taken the train once and it was from Baltimore to Richmond. The seats are as big a first class airline seats, with lots of room. There were electrical outlets so you don't have to worry about battery power. The overhead was large so no problem storing the bag. Since it was my first train ride I really didn't try and sleep, was too busy looking out the windows. Its a vary different view than from a car. I would say the seats were comfortable and could be slept in. If its an overnight trip then your not going to see much anyway. There also was a snack car where you could buy food and drinks. Sorta cool walking from car to car as the train was rolling. Looking forward to seeing you again at Larry's get together.

Steve

Superliner coach seats recline with a footrest...very similar to first class airline. Of course, there the similarities end because you have the club car, dining car, power, and various other amenities... plus the socialization with other passengers. Only ships (Chicago to Washington by ship rather roundabout) and airships (which, unfortunately, there aren't any) offer a finer travel experience, IMHO.

You need to find a buddy (or, ever better, a buddette) and get at least a roomette. You don't want to hang out in it all the time, but its' awesome to sleep in a comfortable bed on a train.

Dave

Superliner coach seats recline with a footrest...very similar to first class airline. Of course, there the similarities end because you have the club car, dining car, power, and various other amenities... plus the socialization with other passengers. Only ships (Chicago to Washington by ship rather roundabout) and airships (which, unfortunately, there aren't any) offer a finer travel experience, IMHO.

You need to find a buddy (or, ever better, a buddette) and get at least a roomette. You don't want to hang out in it all the time, but its' awesome to sleep in a comfortable bed on a train.

Dave

Oh yeah lets bring back luxury airships. Very cool.

>Oh yeah lets bring back luxury airships. Very cool.

Don't get me started. I spend 8 years on John Diadecki's airship list along with around 300 other weirdos discussing the potential of airships in the modern world. However, the dead end of several very promising projects, the most promising being CargoLifter, finally drove me away. These machines are so ideal for the current world, being efficient, green, and adaptable to virtually any scale or need.

It has been my belief, based on a large number of sightings and other intel, that the U.S. has had a large, stealthy airship in operation for about a decade. The "Big Black Deltoid." Some of you may have heard of it, some may even have seen it. It's marked by three lights that form a triangle.

This is a drawing I made of a passenger adaptation of the CargoLift pod. If I recall, based on ship cost, fuel, etc I figured about 50.00 for a coach seat and 150 for first class for Dallas-Houston. Step on to step off about 2.5 hours. Upper deck is coach, middle is common area with piano bar and dining, lower is first class with 360 degree floor to cieling windows.

It could have happened...

Dave

post-9494-13819417664178_thumb.jpg

I'm a big fan of Amtrak between Chicago and Springfield, which I did a half dozen times. Big seats, smooth, and electrical power. That is a two or three hour trip.

OTOH, in 1977 I took Amtrak Chicago to Albany NY and it was a bad experience. Seating was poor, the track bed was like sitting in the back of a pick up. People getting on and off made sleep impossible. Things must have changed.

But can we predict everything? Sleeping overnight in the best of seats is not something I want to do anymore.

If was making the trip you describe, I'd pop for a sleeping compartment and call the price part of insurance for a happy, memorable trip. Maybe bring along picnic food and some good music and headphones, a new novel or DVD, or that computer project to noodle with.

Wm McD

If it is just you why not have the adventure, good , bad or indifferent? Years ago I'd take the Greyhound places just to go. Different people, interesting people, new places and they all turned into great memories. Of course I was 18 then. Anyway I'd say give it a whack. Take a camera and give us all a travelogue in our otherwise numbingly routine lives.

When one of my co-workers married, he and his wife took a six week trip on Amtrak. A deal where you could ride wherever it went during aspecified time frame. They went up to Nova Scotia, traveled across the northern U.S. out west, back down and returned to Chattanooga. They would get off and spend a night, whenever they thought it would be an interesting stop.

I rode on a sleeper car in China, and for a long trip is the only way to go. I never felt unsafe. Put the luggage on the rack and climb into the bunk. Talk with my GF... fall asleep, wake up... chat... fall asleep and 13hrs later we arrived.

Ride Amtrak's California Zephyr between Reno, Nevada and Sacramento, California for a breathtaking view of America. The ride takes you through the Sierra Nevada Mountains, past cities such as Truckee and over Donner Summit, providing you with towering views of the expanse of Ponderosa Pines, mountain ranges and pristine lakes below. A total of some 43 tunnels are passed through and I believe one of them is 9 miles long! You'll also pass along the Truckee River on the uphill side where prospector's panned for gold in the 1800's and you'll see that the old wooden logging flumes of yesteryear's logging days still spout water. I believe the trip takes 4 to 5 hours and my family thoroughly enjoyed it. -Glenn