Here we go again. How does wood sound?

tigerwoodKhorns

First $89 fuses. Now, how does wood sound as AN AMPLIFIER STAND???

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?aamps&1221774466

I remember reading a thread on how maple has good bass, oak has better midrange, etc. These are stands. The thing that you put your equipment on. I went from a granite stand to a glass stand. Guess what, no change.

I refuse to drink the kool aid.

I wonder what happens if you put an amp on a wood block sitting on a metal stand. I bet th emetal oscillates at its natural frequency and makes th emusic sound "veiled."

I think to make an amp sound right you really need to get a few tons on sifted earth. Make two big piles in your living rom and put your amp in the pile. Them cover with more dirt. That will take care of vibrations and shild it from RMF, it also cretaes a perfect ground. Just don't let the piles of dirt touch each other or you will have a nasty ground loop.

Wood....schood....metal.....schmetal, none of this matters unless you get you speaker wire raised off the floor a minimum of six inches by non-resonant cable isolators made of pure Siberian Vinyl.

You clearly show your inexperience. You need to strip the insulation off of your wires and separate the individual strands. Then use $25 (each) isolators to keep them separated. Rejoin the ends using pure silver (no solder) and you are ready for audio nirvana.

lol, i was just talking about this kinda stuff with my dad and how crazy and stupid it is, good to see others think the same.

btw, electricity cares nothing about vibrations... if theres a path then its going for it, doesnt matter if its at a funky harmonic or not... my onkyo reciever is sitting on the 2nd shelf of my computer desk, and its a glass top, i wish it was wood only because its heavier than the planet, yes its a bazillion pounds, and i think it could break the glass lol

where can i get some silver barbed wire? is that at the baller army surplus store?

lol, i was just talking about this kinda stuff with my dad and how crazy and stupid it is, good to see others think the same.

btw, electricity cares nothing about vibrations... if theres a path then its going for it, doesnt matter if its at a funky harmonic or not... my onkyo reciever is sitting on the 2nd shelf of my computer desk, and its a glass top, i wish it was wood only because its heavier than the planet, yes its a bazillion pounds, and i think it could break the glass lol

where can i get some silver barbed wire? is that at the baller army surplus store?

Hey Roadcone.....Interesting that you bring this up as by your handle I assume that you are a car tuner or at least race....

Audio is one of the only industrys where megabuck "magic" tweeks fly........I suppose because there are no quantifiable results, only personal taste

in strong contrast to the tuner industry.....If a part is 10 lbs lighter it's worth the expense as you will see a direct result in your times with weight savings. But no one would buy $1000/foot ignition wire unless you could strap the car to a Dyno and prove an increase in HP....$1 wire will do just fine......you get the Idea. [;)]

Funny this topic should come up. I've happened to have built my home around an old tree trunk, northern tubewood to be exact, for this very purpose. I can't believe these philistines would even consider an "amp stand" to be as effective. They might as well use a *gasp* audio equipment rack.

Fender,

I did the car thing for about 15 years.  Pleny of voodoo.  Magic spark plugs and wires, cams, heads, etc.  Usually has a 1 page ad with testimonials.  When I got out of it, the package systems were just comming of age.

I agree that there was plenty of voodoo, but when it came time to run a quarter it was time to put up or shut up, and yes feeling confident that your engine had "Magic parts" may be responsible for someone to run a good race......but I've never seen anything quite as ridiculous as the claims of "audiophiles"......Hey if these guy's are stupid enough to buy $3000 power cords ....good for them and good for the economy.......

(we should be seeing some high end gear going cheap that was once owned buy the former employee's of Lehman Bros)

btw, electricity cares nothing about vibrations... if theres a path then its going for it, doesnt matter if its at a funky harmonic or not... my onkyo reciever is sitting on the 2nd shelf of my computer desk, and its a glass top, i wish it was wood only because its heavier than the planet, yes its a bazillion pounds, and i think it could break the glass lol

I am also interested in silver barbed wire. It's the perfect thing for Texas. Did you know that regular barbed wire actually looks rusty after about fifty years? We are talking sterling and not just plate right?