What is this device?

greg928gts

It measures tape speed.

It's probably calibrated for 7-1/2" per second, and maybe 3-3/4" or 15"

That makes sense.

I forgot to, but I could have told you all that it came from a major score a few years ago when I bought out an entire mobile home's worth of gear from the wife of an electronics repair man who had recently died.

It looks like it might measure two speeds, because it has two different sets of markings on the wheel. But how do you tell if the speed is correct, fast, slow? I've turned the wheel at various speeds and the markings just disappear into a blur.

Do you just hold against the tape, like on a reel to reel player? Or does the tape get wrapped around it somehow?

Greg

I don't see how it could be attached to a capstan, but I suppose it could be placed against a capstan if the RTR deck is horizontal, or could sit on a TT plinth to verify platter accuracy. A strobe disc would be simpler. Many RTRs probably don't have much space around a capstan.

........................... But how do you tell if the speed is correct, fast, slow? I've turned the wheel at various speeds and the markings just disappear into a blur.............

When it turns at the correct speed (under the proper lighting) the corresponding set of markings will appear to stand still. I always found that a neon lamp worked well with turntable strobe markings.

LarryC, there is nowhere on an open reel deck to use a disc. You couldn't use a disc on the reels, since they turn at varying speeds depending on how much tape has been used thusfar.

so would you attach that to a tape drive capstan somehow and aim a strobe at it to test drive speed?

Yes and no. The strobe is probably just 60 Hz light flicker. We can't see it, until you compare it with something else. When one of the dials stops spinning it is at whatever speed you want to check for. Speed up and it will appear to slowly spin one way, slow down and it goes the other way.

It's lilke the wagon wheels in old western movies looking like they were spinning backwards in the race to town.