Any tree experts?

Amy

• Moderators

I think our tree in the front yard is a little under the weather. It's the "main tree" on our property, so I would really hate to lose it. You can see some quick pics here. We pruned some low branches a bit last summer, and again a little this spring. Not too much, but I'm afraid we may have stressed it out?

You can see some sap coming out at different places--some at the nicks in the tree, but other places without nicks. There's also some light green spots on the bark--I have no idea if that is significant. I also took 3 photos where the roots are starting to come out of the ground in 3 places. Probably not a good thing. The leaves themselves look fairly healthy.

I think it's a type of locust tree, but not positive. I was told I should fertilize it, but not sure how.

Any ideas? I may need to break down and get a tree doctor. Bad timing for the expense, though.

Good advice. Some locusts tend to suffer from limb die back. They are not generally long lived trees. The roots appearing at ground level is a characteristic of certain trees and is probably nothing to worry about, there is really nothing you can do about it anyway. You can identify the tree by how and what color it flowers, what the fruit/seeds look like and leaf shape. The tree will get fertilized as you fertilize the lawn around it.

After looking at the photo album more closely, I would guess it is a honey-locust. The bare limbs appear to be the ones that are being shaded out, and again, is a characteristic of the tree. It's probably ok, it's just not a strong, long lived tree.

I know zip about trees, but with that situation I'd get a good aborist to at least say whether it's on the way out or is there a way to save it and pep it up. An evergreen on my property line lost a third of its roots when a new house was built next door, and it started looking pale and droopy. It cost some, not a lot, but I got great advice plus a fertilizer injection (in the tree), and it started looking very good again within a few months.

• Moderators

I agree with Oldtimer, I don't know about Indy but down here you can call a " county agent " and they can send out someone who can answer some of the questions about the die back and sap. They don't treat or do anything but give advice but the person who helped us really knew what they were doing.

We have done this in the past with a giant Pecan tree at our old house, it takes a while for them to come out but it is free and they specialize in trees for your region.

One other thing is when you, or if you fertilize you lawn do you use weed and feed ? The weed killer in weed and feed can affect some trees when absorbed through the roots. Don't know if thats a problem with that type of tree or not, some are more sensitive than others.

If nothing else prune out the branches that have died back especially if in the center of the tree. We have had alot of problems down here with beetles, but I think the cold weather up there makes the beetles less of a problem.

...I got great advice plus a fertilizer injection (in the tree)...

Thanks for clarifying that, Larry. Not you, but there are some here who would achieve "full" status with a fertilizer injection...[;)]

Great illustrative photos, Amy.

Hello Amy, Thanks for resetting my password, I am greatful for that. Your tree is a Honey Locust.. They are a rugged tree with a shallow root structure. It looks to be desease free and pretty healthy. Roots are going to protrude from the ground as the tree ages. The sap leakage is to be expected in a mature tree. I definately would not use fertilizer. You don't want that tree growing any faster. I would avoid trimming except to keep the branches off the house. Insects are your biggest concern, especially web worms, you should spray the tree once or twice a year. It's hard to tell but the trunk doesn't appear to be hollow. Any holes or deep cracks should be filled with morter to keep the rain and black ants out. That tree will probably stand a long time.

Amy: I'm certainly no expert, but: I've attached some excellent information for you contained in a PDF file on Honey Locust Pests and Mites, from the Colorado State University Cooperative Extension Service. I hope you find it helpfull. By the way, limb-shedding is the locust's normal way of dealing with drought, if it's been dry in your area this year. They require moderate watering, but are considered drought-tolerant. It is best not to fertilize them. -Glenn

05571.pdf

As dtel said you could gooogle Marion County Extension Office (blue pages of phone book?) and phone them to find the person there knowledgeable about trees. They can probably answer your questions on the phone. You might even direct them to your pictures. Good information that is free of charge.

My local office volunteered to do an autopsy on some daylillies that I was having trouble with a couple of years ago.[W]