What's the max SPL out of a speaker.

tim3

Hey fellas,hav'nt had to bother you lately because I finally got a pair of Khorns.I know I probably owe Amany of you some $ for asprin that you needed after banging your heads against the wall with all my ridiculous questions.My K's are 1996 with AK3 crossovers.I upgraded to Bob Crite's woofers & the CT-125's.As all of you know,my fascination is achieving a speaker to reach a 109 db.I ordered a pair of Fostex T90A tweeters last night.They are 106 db. & have a 35KHZ limit.I know many people say 20K is the limit to human hearing,but I weant to a sight that produced a sound spectrum that went up to 22K HZ.,& I heard that freq. with no problem.I don't know how the Fostex compares with the CT-125's,but I just wanted to see if I could hear a difference with a high freq. tweeter.Anybody have an opinion about the Fostex & the CT-125.I've waited & looked at ebay,craigslist & Audiogon for a pr. of pre-owned Fostex T90A's or even more so the Fostex T900A.Nothing ever came up.I'm wondering if this is because that everyone that got the Fostex tweeter was happy with it & did'nt want to part with it.Come to think about it,I hav'nt seen a pair of Bob's CT-125's for sale either.I really have a high regard for Mr. Crites.He has endless patience with me & he & his wife are so incredibly nice on the phone.I understand that the max. SPL I can get from my K's is 121.I was wondering if switching components in the speaker could change that.I really don't expect to try to up that 121,but this si just for my own knowledge.Lastely,I was wondering what people think of my K's with the upgraded woofer & tweeter.If the squaker of the K(K-55-M) is of high quality,or do any of you that have K's,upgrade the midrange,& if you do,with what & why.Just to let any one know who is considering responding to this post,I power my system with a Parasound HC 3500(350 WPC).I also have 2 21" Tekton subwoofers.Each being housed with a 12 cu. ft. cab. & being powered by an Adcom 555ll bridged(600 WPC) & an external crossover.Thanks for everyones opinions & suggestions.P.S. I would'nt repeat this info.,if I thought it was private,but to anyone who knows &/or admires Bob Crites,he has recently had a stint put in(my dad also had the same procedure) & seems to be recovering well.Bob has helpt me(I'm sure with clenched teeth,endlessly)I hope his life is long & happy.I got into the Klipsch game post Paul's crossover.My thoughts & respect is the same to me with Bob as I'm sure as many of yours is & was with Paul's.Feel better Bob.Thanks,Tim.

Sorry to hear about Bob’s stent

Hope he has endless patience with your editing

You need to use paragraphs

They make reading much easier

The max SPL of a speaker is determined by the physical limits of the components

While you might get a few DB more out of them, you are also driving them beyond their physical limit

That means damage!

Which is ironic, because classic Klipsch horn design is usually very easy on their components:

• The woofer is large, but works very little; there is no cone to move (and deteriorate)
  • The horn diaphragm does the work, and there is no cone to move (and deteriorate)

121 max SPL is way above anything you will ever need

Or enjoy

In fact, it is not only painful SPL, it is also damaging to your ear!

Amen to the above.

I'd forget about numbers, specs and test data. The klipschorns will play loud enough, period! Just enjoy the music. If you still feel the need to tweak, I would look elsewhere in the system and focus on sound quality. You've already got the quantity thing nailed down! Just my humble opinion.

BTW, congrats on the fine speakers! I used to have a pair of '98 k-horns with the AK-3 network, myself.

I'm so sorry that when I graduated high school,my only choice was to go in the armed forces & help with uor nations security.I did'nt have the option of going to colledge like you on your Ivy league pedistal.When I got out of the forces,I went right to U.P.S. where I do 180 stops a day & deliver 1000 pkgs. a day.I'm a blue collar worker & proud of it.I've been busting my *** for U.P.S. for the last 25 yrs. at 12+ hrs. a day.I'm so sorry I don't have the educattion & proper grammer your used to.Have you ever heard the saying,if you can't say anything nice then...I'm sure you'll come back with a long well wriiten response to degrade me even more.I admitt that my lack of education makes me sound like a Maine hick,but that was obviously God's plan for me & I accept it.The only reason I post what I do,is because I'm trying to learn.I guess none of you ever enjoy cranking up the music.Rest assure,I will never bother any of you again.I now know that I don't drive a nice enough car & don't live in Florida where the wheather is beatiful all year around.Again,I am only trying to learn & you've accomplished your goal at making me realize I'm an uneducated blue collar low life.I guess God had to create some of us to dig the ditches.P.S. I'm sorry for the bad grammer.Your humble Maine hick Tim.I'm happy for you that God checks to see what colledge you went to before he opens the gate.I'll never impose on your forum again.

you've accomplished your goal at making me realize I'm an uneducated blue collar low life.I guess God had to create some of us to dig the ditches.P.S. I'm sorry for the bad grammer.Your humble Maine hick Tim.

Tim, your grammar and spelling was never commented on. I'll comment that it's not the worst I've seen on this site. The point was that when all the text is in a single block, it's hard to read. If you hold Shift and hit Enter twice at the end of a sentence, you can break your message into bite-size paragraphs that are much easier to read.

There are lots of blue-collar workers on this forum, including me, and I don't think any of us consider ourselves to be low-lifes. As for being from Maine, some of our most respected members are from there, so don't be offended by a simple comment (which has also been addressed to other posters when they leave their message in a big clump of text) asking you to break your message up a bit.

Speaking for myself, I've learned a great deal on this forum and owe any ability to sound knowledgeable to the experienced members who've shared what they know with the newer members. I hope you choose to stay.

you've accomplished your goal at making me realize I'm an uneducated blue collar low life.I guess God had to create some of us to dig the ditches.P.S. I'm sorry for the bad grammer.Your humble Maine hick Tim.

Tim, your grammar and spelling was never commented on. I'll comment that it's not the worst I've seen on this site. The point was that when all the text is in a single block, it's hard to read. If you hit Shift-Enter-Enter at the end of a sentence, you can break your message into bite-size paragraphs that are much easier to read.

There are lots of blue-collar workers on this forum, including me, and I don't think any of us consider ourselves to be low-lifes. As for being from Maine, some of our most respected members are from there, so don't be offended by a simple comment (which has also been addressed to other posters when they leave their message in a big clump of text) asking you to break your message up a bit.

Speaking for myself, I've learned a great deal on this forum and owe any ability to sound knowledgeable to the experienced members who've shared what they know with the newer members. I hope you choose to stay.

I don't know what type of computer Tim uses, but if he uses a Mac with Safari like I am doing now, the forum software will not format his post properly.

There were three paragraphs in this post when I typed it.

Bob

I don't know what type of computer Tim uses, but if he uses a Mac with Safari like I am doing now, the forum software will not format his post properly. There were three paragraphs in this post when I typed it.

This last forum software "upgrade" seems to have been a step backwards. I hope the next update/upgrade sorts things out.

I don't know what type of computer Tim uses, but if he uses a Mac with Safari like I am doing now, the forum software will not format his post properly.

There were three paragraphs in this post when I typed it.

Bob

That is true. Switching to Firefox fixed this for me but then you don't get the cool features in Safari. Oh well.

Not that it's any of your business,but I signed up,with my parents consent at 16.To list my home pnone # & personal info. is way out of line.This is obviously a very hateful, aggresive attack on me.I'll give you another fact about me that I'm sure you'll love.It will probably make your whole week.In March 21,2004,I went in to wake my son to go to Sunday mass.I found him dead in his bed.When I tried to pick him up to hold him,I could'nt because he had been down so long he was very stiff.He was my only son & only child & I suffer terribly with every single day.There does that make you happy.I think what you've done is very wicked.As much anger & hurt I'm feeling right now,I hope you never have to go through anything like that.You should be very proud.

To list my home pnone # & personal info. is way out of line

Yep, I gotta agree with Tim on this one.

Tim, I don't know what all is going on in this conversation. I'm terribly sorry to hear about your son, I can't even begin to comprehend what you went through then and continue to go through today.

As for the forum, I hope you realize just like you probably have some nice folks you love to deliver to and some other folks you would really wish you didn't HAVE to deliver to, this is much the same. Sometimes, some things are typed out and the typed word doesn't convey the same as it would were it spoken.

Sounds like you've made your mind up but I'd personally hope you stick around a bit. I do agree with you though that the listing of your personal information is out of bounds.

Perhaps he'll edit it or maybe Amy can clear it out?

As all of you know,my fascination is achieving a speaker to reach a 109 db

I didn't know this. Something you might do if you want it to be very loud at times, look into the Jubilee when "Mr. Budget" is in good shape. the Jubilee will play at least as loud (if not louder) than the Khorn BUT.... when cranking it way up, will sound more clear than the Khorn at similar level.

Just do a search on 'Jubilee' and get a fresh pot of coffee.

• Klipsch Employees

With 300WPC for an amp and a good front end, Khorns in a 17x24x9 foot room you can reach 124db + @ 15 ft in front of the speaker.

I have done it playing "forplay" by Forplay.

I am sorry that some folks here can be such butts.

Stick around and have fun, over look the folks that need overlooking.

I'm terribly sorry to hear about your son, I can't even begin to comprehend what you went through then and continue to go through today.

I'd personally hope you stick around a bit.

Tim,

I too am very sorry to hear about your loss. I simply cannot imagine that. Everytime I look at my children, I can only thank the good Lord that we have made it another day.

I agree with Coytee - Stick with the Forum - You gotta' read between the lines so to speak. Most forum members as far as I know are really good people, but everyone is "different" in how they come across in their writing. Most members, of course, mean no harm, but on some days we just are not paying attention to how we say something... and the result is a disaster (hopefully just temporary glitch...).

Goal of 109dB? Trey Cannon may just have the best answer for you!!

PS note: From one veteran to another: Glad you are otherwise safe and sound; and stick with it here around the Forum. Lotta' folks probably think I'm crazy, but hey, what's life without being unique!!