Picture of my new Crossovers that I built for my Altec/Khorn Speakers.

Cut-Throat

I have finished my new crossovers with help from forum member ClaudeJ1 - Thanks for your help!

. I have the formulas correct now for 400 hz and 6000 hz. crossover points. I mounted them on Purple Heart wood Bases with a Briwax finish. I used Clarity Caps and Solen Litz inductors. The Banana Plugs allow me to switch amps quickly as I have multiple speaker wire runs to various amps.

My crossovers sit on top of the Khorn Bass Bins, so I thought I'd make them look somewhat nice also!

CrossoverIII.jpg?t=1227654283

CT

Very slick job on the cross overs! Nice idea to use the solder lugs to make a solder connection and affix to a non insulator. It gives you a test point also to boot. Sweet.

I'm considering doing a pair of corn scalas next year, based of some of the builds I have seen on the forums. I'm still in the process of learning how to use the audio transformers shown. I have built several speakers with cap/choke x-overs.

What drivers did you use?

I have finished my new crossovers with help from forum member ClaudeJ1 - Thanks for your help!

. I have the formulas correct now for 400 hz and 6000 hz. crossover points. I mounted them on Purple Heart wood Bases with a Briwax finish. I used Clarity Caps and Solen Litz inductors. The Banana Plugs allow me to switch amps quickly as I have multiple speaker wire runs to various amps.

My crossovers sit on top of the Khorn Bass Bins, so I thought I'd make them look somewhat nice also!

CrossoverIII.jpg?t=1227654283

I have some concern about how close one inductor is to the autotransformer.

Bob Crites

I have some concern about how close one inductor is to the autotransformer.

Bob Crites

I studied this a bit, and did some research. The 'experts' recommend 3 inches of distance, but if that cannot be accomodated that if they are at 90 degree angles to one another, and you cannot see the other inductor thru the 'donut hole' that you are OK.

Anyway, it sounds better than any crossover that I've had hooked up to my Khorns.This illustrates inductor placement. Mine is placed like Figure #7, Which is still acceptable the way the inductor windings are.

coils_9.gif

Most instructions I have seen on the net seem to concentrate preventing inductor coupling. They seem to ignore the effect of metal near air core inductors. Here is a picture of a test of a 2.5 mH inductor on my workbench. Notice that it is pretty good with the error being just about 1 percent.

Bob Crites

post-9312-1381942721154_thumb.jpg

Yep, give Bruce a virtual prize. The little screw is doing that. It is actually sunk below the surface of the table top and still it effects the inductor. First time I noticed this happening was from a screw that was into the bottom of my workbench that did not even penetrate the surface. Just noticed that inductors tested funny when I tested them on a certain spot on the workbench.

The closer to the core of the air core inductor the metal is, the more the effect. Some effect is noted even with the metal outside.

Bob

post-9312-1381942721366_thumb.jpg

Well, that may well work in my favor as the correct inductor value was not available from Solen. I had to buy an inductor that was about .15 off from the correct forumla. Maybe I'll measure the inductor and start putting in screws to get it to within a few Hundreths of a Mili Henry of the correct value[:D]

Trey tested a crossover at a Pilgrimage.... identified who it was put together by as the assembler had often or maybe consistently used steel screws in place of the nylon that was supposed to be used to hold the inductor in place - had a cap I think - and plotted each curve - there was a noticable difference in the curves - hard telling how big a difference in the sound but it clearly tested different.