• Recent Topic Activity

• Recent Posts

• DJK port.... going down the rabbit hole in 3... 2..... 1..... 😁
    • My were 1987 bar room speakers and were a real mess. The photo above is with new veneer on, the process is slow and takes a skilled person to do it cleanly. It took 3,  4x8 sheets of veneer to get all the grain going in the right directions. The V shaped area of the dog house is the real problem getting enough weight on the veneer during the drying process is the issue. Also dealing with the front leading edges can be tricky with grain flow and direction.   Also finding and applying the right stain takes some time and experimentation all part of the wood working expertise I hired. we used scrap pieces of veneer for testing.   Would I do it again yes, but I would also seriously consider building a pair as time and cost would likely be similar. If you build I would have the squaker mounted from the front versus your current setup and I would do the same for the tweeter. Why better signal dispersion with possibly a wider sound stage. See current La Scalla design.   At a minimum get a new washer for you Squaker as it will be dried out by now, also open up the dog house from the bottom and check your driver, one of mine had a tear in the paper part of the driver. Before sealing up run a bead of glue in all the inside edges to make sure the space is air tight.   Good Luck going forward
    • You could sand and stain with whatever finish you prefer. Paint the interior of the bass bin black as it would be murder to get in there and sand/stain. Edge banding will cover the edges of the plywood.
    • Wuzzzer says the KG series… Frzninvt says CF-2…   …matches the KV2. Thank you both very much. You have given me places to begin the deep dive to help my friend.    Side note: Clicking on the “follow topic” switch did not cause the forum to send email notifications for your replies. Tony    
    • My supply control module just blew and I don't have any way to fix it.  Do you still do any of this work, or know anyone that does?
    • ANyone have contact infor for Deano ?
    • I’m guessing you didn’t notice that you’re replying to a post from 2004?  🤷
    • OK, yes, I own a pair of 1980 LaScala's with rebuilt ALK x-overs by the Grinch who stole Christmas, I assume you all know about Al.   Anyhow, these birch cabs are not in superior shape. The theme in my listening room would be closer to walnut modern-looking furniture. The blond-looking unfinished birch wood with its 7-ply showing sides seems out of place.   I thought about finding a wood-wooker to apply walnut veneer but I am having problems finding anyone local who is qualified to do such a job. Plus, I have no idea what that would cost.   I also thought about doing something less complicated and just building a tweeter and mid horn speaker grille like shown on the attached image plus covering the exposed 7-ply on the front-facing edges with a flat mould. Of course, I don't know where to buy the speaker fabric as shown in the picture.    I was wondering if anyone else on this forum has been through this same exercise in trying to make these Cornwalls more appealing to their wives with the modifications mentioned above?      
    • I just picked up a pair of Ak5 for $2000 in Cherry I think, they are not walnut. I am going to my local lumber yard and getting some hardwood to make the risers for the top hats. I do not like the new style. Unlike when I bought my 1st pair in '74 they will be powered by a pair of McIntosh Mc30s. When I die I expect to see PWK waiting at the pearly gated for idiots like me that used stupidly powerful solid state amps like my old Marantz 240 and later a Phase Linear700b. I fully expect Mr. Klipsch to give me a well deserved kick in the keister. I am going to use the AK5's for optical soundtrack films. On either side of a 14' scope screen. I would love a pair of Western Electric horns but they cost over $100k and are the size of my Yaris. My mother has my 1st pair of KCBR (I bought from from Superior Sound when I was 19 for $1635)and uses a Mx110  and a Mc240 with them. She is 87 and uses them every day. I am 69 years old now.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      2.4m
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    PDBEAR