Correct Height for Khorns

jcmusic

Well I suppose you could mount the tweeters and midrange horns on motorized ball mounts and have them spin vigourously about to enhance the dispersion pattern. Then you could stand. sit, and walk around if you added the infrared tracking device to track your position. Maybe to put two K-horns in each corner with one side of one along the wall and the other one against the other wall with the K-horns touching each other would work also. Wonder if anybody tried this?

JJK

When I had my Khorns I always thought they sounded best when I was standing up and walking around. I didn't enjoy them as much when seated. The lascalas I have sound best to me when seated and I don't enjoy those quite as much when standing. Hopefully that makes sense. The speakers in my avatar have such constant directivity it doesn't matter where you are in the room, sitting or standing no difference.

FWIW, I always thought one of the great virtues of Klipsch, especially K-horns, is that they sound almost the same no matter where one stands or sits in the room, even along the sides of the room, and they have a very natural sound even from the next room. This was true back when I had 2 healthy ears, and it's still true with just one.

However, I've never been focused on the mystical "sweet spot" and can't do it now with literally monaural hearing. I have seen some guests fret over not finding it easy to sit in a sweet spot in my relatively long and narrow listening/living room. I just sit at the side of the room because that's where the sofa is.

The big advantage of the K-horn AFAIC is that the treble drivers are higher than most of the furniture in the room, making for good room dispersion without worrying about where to put chairs, sofas, tables, or cabinets. For all these reasons, I think they are at the best height now. $0.02.

When I had my Khorns I always thought they sounded best when I was standing up and walking around. I didn't enjoy them as much when seated. The lascalas I have sound best to me when seated and I don't enjoy those quite as much when standing. Hopefully that makes sense. The speakers in my avatar have such constant directivity it doesn't matter where you are in the room, sitting or standing no difference.

Yup. I've been thinking of raising my couch about 8 - 12 inches. At least in my room that is where they sound best but I think I've found another solution to the problem.

Ok guys thanks for all the replys, now for those who don't understand. We are talking about khorns here with all orignal drivers and in the way that Klipsch installed them, so all that about vertical and horizonal is out the window. In a previous post I said something about 5'9 for those who missed it, anyway I got the answers that I thought I would so no big deal.

Jay

K77 works about the same in either orientation.

Standing up if close to any speaker can be problematic due to purposely narrow vertical dispersion pattern. If you can be at a distance so much the better.

I used to lay on the floor and listen a lot and feel the bass move the room.

whatever works for you. I like mine the way PWK invented them just fine.

The correct position for a stock Khorn top end is just above ear level. Due to the difference in sound wave travel distances the bass is delayed relative to the midrange and the mid is delayed relative to the tweeter. These delays cause the vertical polar pattern to beam steer toward the delayed sources - i.e., tilt downward.

With most furniture and body sizes, the stock Khorn's top end is in the correct position.

Don't worry, PWK knew what he was doing. He got it right.

Yup. I've been thinking of raising my couch about 8 - 12 inches. At least in my room that is where they sound best but I think I've found another solution to the problem.

GaryMD has a raised listening chair in his basement Khorn room. I know, I toppled the durned thing [:$]

VERTICAL dispersion is not criticle, 120 degrees,,,Do you guys know how much 120 degrees is???? BUT with this type of dispersion cieling and floor reflections can confuse the ear,,,When standing or sitting. The K77 or T35 was origionally designed for vertical Installation. But rotating to horizontal Fits tweeter to a lower profile hood cabinet. And looks better.... NOT like the Jubilee that looks like Crap.