2" 223Hz tractrix horns

Guest David H

What does the sensitivity of the driver have to be before it gets put on horn, about 94dB?

I've never looked at it like that.

So I just found one that is only 6dB down at 1kHz and easily solid to below 100Hz:

http://www.creativesound.ca/pdf/CSS-FR125SR-dataS.pdf

Here's with 1W into 1/2 space (gets way smoother in 1/8 space).

Displacement is under 1mm at this level, which is easily linear with the XBL2 motor. My only concern would be cone stiffness.

post-10350-13819436593018_thumb.jpg

Guest David H

GotHover. Looks much better now that the tweeter mount height is shorter. Can you go any shorter?

jc

Sorry, can't go shorter, it is currently only 1/4 inch taller than the Crites tweeter magnet.

GotHover. Looks much better now that the tweeter mount height is shorter. Can you go any shorter?

jc

Sorry, can't go shorter, it is currently only 1/4 inch taller than the Crites tweeter magnet.

You could always just increase the angle of the vertical expansion... [A][;)]

I'm always thinking about the proportion of sound coming from a driver on a mid horn and the horn itself, and I'm thinking that I'd like to continue working on building horn/driver combos that cut back the size of the horn and put more emphasis on the driver. Another way to put this is a bigger driver to horn ratio. This is one of the things I like about the 2" driver/tractrix horn idea for my Khorns. Taking the driver to horn ratio a step further means building a horn that is shallower and smaller but still keeps the 2' driver, much like the Martinelli horns that Mike K is using with his Jubilee bass bins. Going even farther means moving up to cone drivers for the horn, which probably means a big jump from 2" compression driver to 6" or 8" cone driver. Wouldn't it be interesting to cross the compression/cone technologies into a 3" or 4" midrange driver?

Greg

I've mentioned using a cone for the mid driver before (or upper bass). I've got four 5" Galaxy Audio speakers sitting here to test out, but I'm not sure if they are efficient enough.

Power handling: 100 watts RMS/140 watts max
* Voice coil diameter: 1"
* Impedance: 8 ohms
* Frequency response: 200-18,000 Hz
* Magnet weight: 40 oz.
* Fs: 140 Hz
* SPL: 92 dB 1W/1m
* Vas: .24 cu. ft.
* Qms: 1.34
* Qes: .38
* Qts: .30
* Net weight: 3 lbs.
* Dimensions:
A: 4-3/4",
B: must be rear or flush mounted,
C: 2-3/8",
D: 4",
E: 1-1/8"

I was thinking of 250Hz up, or even 300Hz. These things aren't expensive at all. ($37 at PE) They also make a slightly more efficient model with neodymium magnets for $49.

"Regarding cone drivers for mid horns - I like this idea and I'd like to
read more about it. Does anyone here know of any information on the
internet about using cone drivers in a horn for midrange in a hi-fi
setting? "

check out BD Design for some info.... http://www.bd-design.nl/ the new Oris 250 can be used with compression or cone drivers...

I am using Oris 200 with AER MD3 drivers....I have used many combinations, Altec 811 w/ 902-8T and 511 w/ JBL 2470 and Altec 805 w/ 292-8A....

the phenolic diaphragm compression drivers sound best to me....the Oris are clearly the best I have used though, even with Fostex 206...

Al

ah, the welcome voice of experience.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm done screwing around and I'm just going to pick up five of these when I upgrade my HT. :)

http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?type=29&cat=38

That is a Bill Woods design. I've chatted with him about his conical horns. I'd like to hear his 500 horn.

http://www.acoustichorn.com/

the phenolic diaphragm compression drivers sound best to me....

I have heard this type of comment time and time again. I'm sending the JBL 2482 back to Jeremy. I may try and scoop some of these up on Ebay.

Does anyone know if you can put a JBL Phenolic diaphragm from the 2482 into their latest driver...the 2446? Is dennis (djk) reading this thread?

jc

the phenolic diaphragm compression drivers sound best to me....

I have heard this type of comment time and time again. I'm sending the JBL 2482 back to Jeremy. I may try and scoop some of these up on Ebay.

Does anyone know if you can put a JBL Phenolic diaphragm from the 2482 into their latest driver...the 2446? Is dennis (djk) reading this thread?

jc

2480, 2482, and 2485 are the only drivers that use that diaphragm. They have a deeper gap.

post-17815-13819436604222_thumb.jpg

Why not put a cone horn on a Khorn down to 300Hz. Anyone interested on this? 6-7" radius throat???????? The snare would have a lot of kick :)

I've been looking for a long time for a cone driver that can cover 100Hz to 1kHz...haven't found anything that models up like I'm looking for. However, if you want to throw polars out the window, then it's pretty easy to accomplish with collapsing polars.

Bentz....explain why your search is difficult. You must be looking for something in particular.

Tell me why this wouldn't work:

http://www.bcspeakers.com/product.php?id=0000000043

jc

What do you call that Terry, "The Intimidator"? :)

JC, I think we might all be picturing different things in our heads -- when I opened up Mike's pdf and saw a full range driver and the low sensitivity rating I started to wig out. :) I was thinking more along the lines of a 6.5 or 8" high sensitivity cone suitable for horn loading. Now you come back with the big 12 and I don't know what to think. I thought the idea was for something that could sit on top of a DR or horn bass bin -- running from say -- 300 or so to at least 5000, and then top it off with a quality tweeter?

You can get 10dB of gain by horn loading a woofer, but I think can only get six with a midrange driver. So I was thinking you really need to start with a driver that's at least 94dB.

Yes. Different application...different things...he quoted 100Hz - 1000Hz. That is why I showed that 12"

For what you are talking about........already enclosed...just put on a horn....

http://www.eighteensound.it/index.aspx?mainMenu=view_product&pid=264

Now that might be a stretch to get to 300Hz with that 8" though.....but looks pretty.

jc