Jubilee and passive networks - long and possibly inflammatory

greg928gts

"I think generally passive networks can only cut frequencies. Roy's eq curves clearly call for a shelving and high bump in the active network for proper HF section with the K69 driver."

So adjust the series resistor (shown in Dean's diagram) for best mid-range balance, and then add the 2µF+40µH bypass (which removes the attenuation above 8Khz).

Got a new Keb Mo CD today and put it on at low volume and realized that I now like the sound of these speakers at low volume, whereas before, with the active setup, I was always wanting to turn them up higher and higher. Which they gladly did! But it's nice to have these speakers sounding good at low volumes, even when I'm sitting and listening intently (not just background). I credit the passive networks for bringing refinement to these beasts.

In spite of my criticisms about the Jubilees, these are the best speakers I've ever heard.

I think my criticisms are mostly aimed at Klipsch for not working hard to make them even better, and for not producing them as their flagship speaker, and for not working to make them Wife-Friendly, and for not advancing the vision of their founder, etc... There's so much more that needs to be done with large fully horn-loaded loudspeakers, and as far as I can tell, the only people doing it are DIY'ers, and that's even pretty rare. There is no other company in the world more qualified or capable of advancing the art than Klipsch, and in my view they are virtually ignoring it.

Rant over. For now.

Merry Christmas!

Greg

Is,nt that what i,ve been bitching about for the last two years?????  No its not there best speaker,, Could be,, but not in its present form.

In your opinion what would it take for this to be klipsch's best speakers. Just don't mention silver wire.

Is,nt that what i,ve been bitching about for the last two years????? No its not there best speaker,, Could be,, but not in its present form.

In your opinion what would it take for this to be klipsch's best speakers. Just don't mention silver wire.

I would be curious to hear the answer also.

Is,nt that what i,ve been bitching about for the last two years????? No its not there best speaker,, Could be,, but not in its present form.

I would be curious to hear the answer also.

Maron, I too would like to better understand your perspective. I have owned most every speaker Klipsch has made, except the Palladium. I bought the Jubilees and find them to be the best speaker that Klipsch makes, cabinet finish not withstanding. I listened to Pals in Indy in the demo room and, while they are beautiful and quite good in their own right, they do not best the Jubilee - imho.

What is their best speaker?

Now I'm confused, Maron. In your previous post, you said, "No, it's not their best speaker.", referring to what I understood was the Jubilee made by Klipsch. Is there a speaker better than the Jubilee . . . .made by Klipsh?

I'm not understanding the introduction of a comparison of a pair of $60,000 speakers made by JBL in a discussion of the attributes of a pair of $7000 Jubilees, made by Klipsch, relative to other speakers made by Klipsch. Please help me out here . . . .

I'm not understanding the introduction of a comparison of a pair of $60,000 speakers made by JBL in a discussion of the attributes of a pair of $7000 Jubilees, made by Klipsch, relative to other speakers made by Klipsch. Please help me out here . . . .

I'm not really sure what Maron's feelings are here and I certainly am not taking any side as I do nto have a horse in this race, but I think that the Jubilee must be compared to any speaker on Earth.

I don't think that any Jubilee owner is guilty of this, but the peanut gallery around here answers every thread by saying to get Jubilees because they are worth the price, but any speaker that is more expensive is not worth it because "for $60,000 you could have had 8.57 pairs of Jubiles." Tough standard that was created, that's for sure.

Lets get something straight here,,,I dont think much, about the present Jube. OK ??? Nore do i think the Everest II is the last word in Speakers,, Although its internal drivers out strip The Jubs,,,.. But If you want to know what is or was the best speaker i ever heard,,, It was/is up in Chicago... By Sherwin Janows,,, It stood 10 feet high,, had four 24" woofers by Hartley-Luth,,, It is a TWO WAY system,,, front end used MASTER TAPES on a ML5- 80 STUDER tape recorder,, Nothing in the Klipsch Company,,,or even JBL Co. Has ever come close to its sonics NOTHING,,, So lets not niggle about PRICE,,To me that has never been an issue and never will.. If you have a problem with that then don,t bother me with your sack cloth piddy poor comments I dont want to hear it,,,Now let me have my nap.. " Merry Christmas"

Regarding some comments made earlier...

I guess I do factor in the cost as part of the equation regarding a speaker's value.

Presently the Jubs are close to 10k, once you add in a crossover, veneer, cabinets for the tweeter, grills, or even upgrading to some very expensive compression drivers, etc (I have estimated on the high side). This is against 60k for the JBLs (in the stock finish). Now the equation is ultimately "value" or quality per dollar.

None of us have unlimited funds. There is always something that needs to be fixed around the house, retirement, kid's education etc. It would be silly to spend 60k on speakers unless they sounded very, very good. Even then, at some point you have to ask yourself if spending that kind of money makes sense given that there are homeless and hungry folks (especially children) in our own communities.

We used to get in arguments about the "best" car etc. It never really made sense, since you can take any car and buy better shocks or tires etc and still squeeze out some improvement.

I thought Maron was going to tell us which was the "best" Kipsch product or perhaps some simple mods to make a Jubilee even better. I guess I did not find the comparison to $60k JBLs as a serious comparison.

Of course, this is simply my opinion.

-Tom

PS EDIT: Maron and replied at about the same time. I have now removed my "sack cloth" and we probably still disagree. The idea of "best" without any context (price or value) still does not make much sense to me.

I thought Maron was going to tell us which was the "best" Kipsch product or perhaps some simple mods to make a Jubilee even better.

I did too.

The idea of "best" without any context (price or value) still does not make much sense to me.

I agree, Tom. I remember Fred Klipsch stating at the Pilgrimage that their goal was to make the best sounding speaker in each price point. Comparing the $7000 ( or $10k, depending on how you calculate ) 2-way Jubilee (Paul's goal of a high-quality, low distortion evolution of the K-horn) to some out-of-context, mega-buck alternative doesn't make much sense to me either. Golly, I would certainly hope that a $60,000 pair of speakers would sound substantially better. I suspect, though, that the unit of additional cost per unit of additional improvement (if any) would be dear.

To me $60,000 is not much,,, But to you bottom feeders i guess its alot,,, So you now want to Mod a jubilee.. Whats the matter ?? The Jube lacking in the last sonic splender????? Klemintovich found out in the first 60 seconds it needed change,,, 402 or 403,,, So lets see what he comes up with,,, He has the deep pockets... I.ll audition,,, Remember the Jube is not a finalized design but a modified cinema system... The origional Khorn in the earley stages had gone through many changes. Dont be dissapointed that i,m not forthcomming... The Khorn was not finalized in a day,,, The Jube too will evolve. Now back to my nap " Merry Christmas"

Good morning, Maron. Yes, to me $60,000 is a lot of money. Before you run back to nap, please help me with one question.

From among the speakers that Klipsch offers for sale today, for us common folk to buy, which do you believe is their best speaker?

Thank you. Nighty-night . . . . .