OT:Do you know anything about life in the Little Rock, Arkansas area?

Trey Cannon

Trey,

I'm in LR every week and think it's a great place. Like everywhere, there are some places better not to go, but there are excellent places to live on both sides of the river for folks of all ranges of income. One among many, Maumelle is a great place to live and lots of folks work there, too. There are tons of folks who commute from Conway or the Benton/Bryant areas which are a 30 minute commute. The River Market District in LR is very cool with shops, restaurants, The Peabody Hotel and such. There are light rail street cars, which have a nostalgic charm, they travel a loop from the River Market across the river and a loop in North Little Rock. One of the old railroad bridges has been converted to a pedestrian walkway connecting RiverFront Park in NLR to the River Market The Clinton Library is right there along with Heifer Project International for anyone with that sort of interest. .

If your friend should want to visit, feel free to pass along my contact info.

Trey,

It depends on what they want and what kind of lifestyle they enjoy.

If you are mostly on the country side I would say Maumelle, Cabot, or Bryant maybe even somewhere in the burbs. I have many friends who live outside of town that commute. This was fine until gas prices went up.

If they like nightlife or are from a bigger city they may enjoy renting an apartment downtown in the rivermarket. I have several friends with condos or apartments and it is certainly fun with always something going on. The trolley roams the neighborhood and goes to Argenta NLR. The Clinton Library has really spurred development and has been a huge economic boom for the area. It also has a great cafe.

Then there is Hillcrest which I think has the best of everything. You can find an apartment easily and have everything you need within walking distance. Grocery stores, many restaraunts, pubs, coffee shops, art galeries and shopping are all around. There are also trails in the neighborhood for active people. It may be a little more expensive but it is worth it.

If you are on a budget and are sure of yourself there is downtown LR Quapaw Quarter. Have an alarm on your car and home. I've only had a lawn mower stolen but it can be sketchy at times. It can be challenging but property is cheap and development is still spreading all over downtown. The recession has slowed development but it is still going on. I have been downtown for several years and it keeps getting better.

Then there is Argenta which is the rivermarket side of NLR. This area is really booming with lots of new real estate, restaraunts, pubs, and stores. I have a couple friends living over there as well. I wish I had bought in Argenta instead of Quapaw Quarter. There are still some bargains but not like it was. The trolley goes to the LR side and should be expanding on both sides of the river in the future.

If you have any questions just drop me an email. I'd be happy to help.

The Clinton Library has really spurred development and has been a huge economic boom for the area. It also has a great cafe.

I've heard you can get a good massage there too! [:)]

My wife and I talk about moving to a warmer climate, but everywhere we look there seems to be snakes, alligators, hurricanes, wildfires, mudslides, tornados, floods, or a local movement to add Spanish to road signs. Here, we get 4 months of cold weather and there's just not much money in Maine. We don't know . . . we go back and forth.

Greg

The Clinton Library has really spurred development and has been a huge economic boom for the area. It also has a great cafe.

I've heard you can get a good massage there too! Smile

My wife and I talk about moving to a warmer climate, but everywhere we look there seems to be snakes, alligators, hurricanes, wildfires, mudslides, tornados, floods, or a local movement to add Spanish to road signs. Here, we get 4 months of cold weather and there's just not much money in Maine. We don't know . . . we go back and forth.

Greg

You can get a massage but you have to wear blue.

There are downsides to anywhere you live. It isn't the tornados that bothers me here but the couple weeks of 100+ degree 70%-90% humidity. That is brutal. I've been in many tornados but luckily never had any damage.

There are downsides to anywhere you live. It isn't the tornados that bothers me here but the couple weeks of 100+ degree 70%-90% humidity. That is brutal. I've been in many tornados but luckily never had any damage.

I don't think that would bother me, I can take the heat. It's snakes!

My Dad lives in Western N.C. and he tells me about the family of snakes he has living on the property and how they are the king of the snake in that area so they keep all the other snakes out, blah blah blah. I'm thinking to myself, how the heck will I just be able to let the dogs out in the morning, I'd be worrying about what kind of mess they'd be getting into every minute.

Then again, it could be like the stories you hear of people in Maine and bears in their back yards.

Greg

I'm thinking there must be a place to move to in this country where the weather is not so severe, there is still some bit of the seasons, no snakes, no tornados, no hurricanes; not where the landscape is totally flat for as far as the eye can see, but there's actually some mountains and lakes and other natural beauty; and (when the economy in general starts to make an upswing) there's a good housing market so I can start my business back up again.

Greg

I'm thinking there must be a place to move to in this country where the weather is not so severe, there is still some bit of the seasons, no snakes, no tornados, no hurricanes; not where the landscape is totally flat for as far as the eye can see, but there's actually some mountains and lakes and other natural beauty; and (when the economy in general starts to make an upswing) there's a good housing market so I can start my business back up again.

Greg

No snakes?

They call it California except for the housing market and earquakes. Oregon is on my shortlist of places I could live. Ireland has no snakes and has the best economy in the uk.

http://www.bestplaces.net/fybp/quiz.aspx

In May of 1987 Paul Harvey said Fayetteville, AR was the best place to live in the US. I don't know of anything that has changed that, except a new stadium for the Razorbacks.

instead of talking politics on this thread, why not just email Amy and beg her to lock this thread.

I don't think that would bother me, I can take the heat. It's snakes!

My Dad lives in Western N.C. and he tells me about the family of snakes he has living on the property and how they are the king of the snake in that area so they keep all the other snakes out, blah blah blah. I'm thinking to myself, how the heck will I just be able to let the dogs out in the morning, I'd be worrying about what kind of mess they'd be getting into every minute.

Then again, it could be like the stories you hear of people in Maine and bears in their back yards.

Greg

It isn't so much heat as it is melting.

Snakes aren't that bad here. I see a couple small ones a year. If I go fishing I sometimes see some big one. Bears are more scary than snakes imo lol.

Greg

No severe weather: Check

4 seasons: Check

No snakes: Check

No tornados: Check

No Hurricanes: Check

Mountains: Check

Lakes: Check

Natural beauty: Check

Good housing market: Check

Nine for nine - not bad: Santa Rosa, Ca.

And, many other places in Northern California.

Good luck Gregg!

Yep. If one can afford, NoCal and Oregon are IMO the best choice. For a working class joe like myself it doesn't work so well (high cost of living/property) - but for degreed professional level incomes, it IS paradise, IMO, and would be my first choice if I could afford the property.

Weekends walking along Cape Mendocino are really nice....