My first impressions of Cornwalls

PhilMays

Thanks to Spongeworthy (and I REALLY mean it) I got to hear these things for the very first time. He sold me a pair of verticle CW's for my mains.......anyway, I simply unplugged my forte II's and put the CW's in their place. The sound is amazing! Open....airy.....full....I was fully sold on Crosby, Stills, & Nash Southern Cross....I had a smile as big as I don't know what...my wife simply said..."don't you think that's overkill"....WTF does she know...LOL!!!! Anyway, I have to play with placement and of course the room isn't close to being accoustically ready, but DANG they sound GREAT!!!!! forte II's have more bass, but, not nearly as open. In fact I could never really turn up the volume from my Marantz 2385 on the forte's....The CW's I had it ROCKING!!!!.....Signed, Happy in Timberlake!!!!!! Keith, sorry I didn't call you first!!!!

we're just finding out from Roy that the K604 horn in the forte II is a 60x40 degree Tractrix, compared to the 90 degree exponential in the CW, there is a huge difference in the mids alone. If you enjoy the swap to CW, you may have been suffering from too small of a sweet spot with the forte II.

Academy left today. Sorry for the delay. I packed it up like nobody's business.

Michael

Thanks Michael! I agree that the sweet spot has increased quite a but! No prob's on the Academy! It's simply a very nice, very open, very full speaker and I couldn't be happier! MY wife of course thinks their too big....LOL....I told her to go back to the horse barn it's my dang mancave!

Excellent. I hated selling the Cornies but they weren't being used. The consolation is they went to a good guy who will appreciate them. Always cool to make a new forum buddy too.

I will own another pair down the road for sure. The last time I listened to them, I was amazed that a 35 year old speaker with no updates could possibly sound that good.

Enjoy Phil.

I had a smile as big as I don't know what...my wife simply said..."don't you think that's overkill"....WTF does she know...LOL!!!!

Right on! This statement is so true of us Klipschsters!

My wife finally got in tune with the fine sound of Klipsch. She will even go out of her way to go into MY drum room to turn on the stereo and listen to what she likes. She still doesn't let them really open up, though.

Cornwalls.......Nice.

Was at Hardrock Cafe' tonight and the place is loaded with wall hung Klipsch

Good to see that they've finally upgraded. It's embarassing to go out with a bunch of Klipsch buddies to a place thats supposed to ROCK and finding someone else's speakers there.

Especially in this town. They should be everywhere!

Excelent post . I am considering the purchase of a pair of Forte IIs in ths local Craigslist. I would be buying the Fortes as rears or surrounds for later on in a heritage HT/Music setup with Corwnwalls or Khorns as fronts/2 channels. After owning both what do you think about this idea? I see you are from NC. I am in Charlotte. Do you know of anyone in NC-SC-VA who regulary deals in used heritage stuff ?I know that there must be somebody but I am having trouble finding any dealers or individuals within driving distance who buy or sell Heritage due to space. thanks in advance Congrats on your purchase.

I've never heard of any dealers who specialize in used Klipsch Heritage. I think you would be best served to be patient and regularly check Craigslist, A'gon and here on the forum.

As far as mixing Fortes with Khorn and Cornwalls................well, they really aren't the ideal speakers to mix and match. The Fortes use a different horn than the "true" Heritage line. Fortes match the Chorus, Quartet and Academy (and others I probably forgot) while Cornwalls, Khorns, Lascallas, Belles and Heresys are considered the true Heritage line and all timber match each other perfectly. Many mix these anyway and while they do sound fine, if you are a stickler, it would be best to keep them separate.

This will be interesting for sure. I'll have my reciever hooked up downstairsnext week, or the week after and will try out a few SACD's to see how they do match up. As far as total match, in a home theater application, I'm not sure it is that important on the surrounds. I'm more worried about the Academy and the Cornwalls.

If this doesn't work out, I'll just move the Cornwalls to a 2 Channel rig and place Chorus II's as my mains with the forte II's and Academy center.

SO MANY OPTIONS!!!!!! Dang exciting stuff!