How much for entire lot?

Coytee

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If that lot were local to me, I'd pay no more than 50% of what I could sell it for, and if I thought I could get it for less, I would try. It would matter to me to know if everything worked or not. The market for selling this stuff is really bad right now. I have all kinds of stuff just sitting waiting for things to get better.

Greg

coytee

used average for the lot is around 12000.00, if i were buying to resell i would offer around 6500 to 7000 to be very fair to the seller (knowing the circumstances and knowing the sellers personally as you did) at that offering you could make up a substantial chunk of your money selling the k-horns and lascallas alone then figure that viva amp and a couple of the other items you would be flush with several items left over for profit or keepers. most dealers would probably offer 4500 to 5500 for the lot

good luck

Joe

" The market for selling this stuff is really bad right now. "

ditto

"I have all
kinds of stuff just sitting waiting for things to get better. "

double ditto

kinda makes you wonder about the previous owner's lifestyle and what happened to him doesn't it?

I stated it in a different thread although it might have been during your PC issues.

This stuff was owned by a guy that was becoming a friend, 48 years old. His mother passed last January (2008) and he inherited about $500,000. He was a professional working (read poor) musician. I understand he was on at least one cd that ended up selling well and that provided him with the income he needed so he could play around and do as he wanted.

He was also morbidly overweight. I tried to get him to join me/us at the Klipsch gathering in Indy.

About 10 years ago, he fell in the shower and shattered the door. His weight forced him to the ground and the glass about severed his arm. He drove himself to the hospital and they debated trying to clean out the blood in his car for about 2 seconds before they just junked it and bought another one. Seems it was worse than any Helter Skelter scene you might have wanted to see.

Also, interestingly, he told me (after I said something about how he must have a big will to live)... he said something that I think became relevant at the end of his life. He said "ya know Richard... dying is easy. It took all the strength I could muster, to live. I could have easily just given in and let go... it would have been REAL easy to do that"

Fast forward to last January... he loses his mother, (I suspect but do not know... that perhaps she was helping him financially) He inherited a bunch of money and having never really HAD a lot of free cash, immediately bought a new Mercedes for himself, bought my McIntosh MC-2102 amp (which is how/when we met) and bought most of the stuff you see in this thread as well as new furniture, gutted the home & repainted it.... Anything that he bought new, was probably bought between last March and September.

Bottom line... he ended up spending his inheritence down to $300.00. Yes, you read that right... $500,000 down to $300.00 in the bank as cash and a lot of items he bought.

I personally, think he got depressed, then the money ran out and he sat there figuring "now what am I going to do?" I can't work and I just blew all my money.

I guess he knew how easy it really was to die, so he put a gun to his head. The hole is evidently still in the bedroom wall. Interestingly enough (I've not seen it) the bedroom wall is a common wall with his neighbor so it's not impossible that the bullet might have entered their space. I'd like to think though that there is probably a block wall between the two places, as a fire break if nothing else and that didn't happen. It's mere speculation on my part that it could have.

So, I told his niece who is his only surviving relative (his sister died a number of years ago) that I'd help organize this stuff, document what's there and help her try to sell it piecemeal OR, if she wanted....I'd be open to buying the whole lot and take it off her hands.

I offered that for a couple reasons...

1. I DO admit to some interest in trying out the Viva amp as well as the Artemis preamp and the Quad KT66 amps

2. I DO want to help her get a fair price

She however, lives about 2 hours away. One thing I told her the other day is, if you try to sell 20 items on for example, Ebay... then she's NOT going to have a fun time when she has to drive to town every other day to pick something up and mail it. Point being, her living 2 hours away does not HELP her at all, as contrasted to her living locally.

Under that logic, (having had someone in Ohio this past summer helping me with my now deceased Aunt and knowing what a MAJOR help it was to me) I was willing to be her local eyes/ears and ship these things BUT in fact, she doesn't really know me and shouldn't necessarily trust me with anything. I realize that although in fact, she could trust me. so be it.

So, now she's interested in me simply taking the whole lot off her hands BUT... as I mentioned to her... she can't expect me to pay 'market' prices (what ever that may be) for something and bear the risk of losing money on it, just to do her a favor. So, I tried to ascertain what a fair price (to her as well) might be and was thinking knocking about 25% off of it.

If I had all this and broke EVEN, that wouldn't offend me. I'm not out to fleece her, nor am I out to pay her $5,000 when it's all only worth $650.00 (just made that up to make my point)

So that's more of the story.

Here's a picture of the bass guitar (someone asked in a PM and I can't post it in a PM)

post-15072-13819437768562_thumb.jpg

I like the part about using the WE 300B to save the EH.

I don't quite understand that as to me, that infers he was using up the WE's to 'save' the EH's...

I understand it to be somewhat different, that he LOVED the sound of the WE's so was using them instead of the EH's. Why else have them if he's not going to use them?

Again, perhaps I misunderstood the angle of your comment. He simply decided to store the EH's in the safest place he had....the boxes for the WE's.

By the way, these WE's couldn't have been bought much prior to maybe june of last year. He committed suicide mid September so these are essentially factory fresh.

with the trim package (edge trim on the doghouse point, handles, enclosed back) these are likely LSI's and should have the K43 woofer. If the access door is recessed into the cabinet bottom it's a pretty sure bet.

Indeed you are correct however some of that trim is missing, mine have Dee's old K33'sBig Smile

AND a porcupine living in the doghouse!

Richard, you've got to cover your time and energy to sell the items. That's only fair too. Don't underestimate how difficult and time-consuming that will be right now.

Though that might be the case, there are more than this circumstance in my life where I do something simply to do it to help someone. The reality is, in those circumstances where you do something to simply try to help someone, you are not going to necessarily view it as a monetary situation.

Heck... I won't even get into the story once, where I was in college, going out on a date...(jacket/tie kinda thing). Was raining out...at gas station and don't you know there was a lady there who had a flat tire.

Guess who volunteered to change her flat for her, in the rain, wearing shirt/tie... getting late for my date. As it turned out, she was also a nurse. Happened to know my mother (also a nurse) and I ended up getting a lot of good press reviews in the hospital for what I'd done for this stranger. I was still late and soaked for my date but I felt pretty good!

So, not everything is about maximizing dollars.... I usually try to maximize the help and figure the dollars will figure themselves out. I usually end up making 'more' this way (in good feelings, not dollars) Heck... I'll spend the dollars....the good feelings can last for years.

This picture is for someone else, pay no attention to it.

post-15072-13819437804256_thumb.jpg

Here's a question for the gang...

She just now left my office and we've discussed several options

1. She can sell piecemeal and do what she wants... (she didn't really like this idea as she doesn't want the headache)

2. I can buy the entire lot but then, what is a fair price for me to pay so I can resell it and not get stuck (I'm a bit hesitant to do this)

3. I could sell it FOR her and take a slice of it for my troubles

Selection number 3 raised her eyebrow... as this helps find the best market price for things. If the spreadsheet I gave her with some of my thoughts as to fair prices is wrong (under inflated) then this option allows her to maybe net a bit more and by having ME do it for her... I'd get a cut.

Hmm... interesting. We talked about a 25% cut so now, if I priced her list fairly, then she's actually going to lose some money BUT she'll have me dealing with all of it and she won't have to. She seems willing to do it this way so she won't have to....she simply want's it "gone" (how many times have our wives gotten rid of something, just to be rid of it???)

During this discussion, I was thinking in the back of my head... "but what if there is something here that a forum memeber wants"????

So, I put this question to anyone who's read this thread or otherwise, wants to share your thoughts.

What if I went ahead and helped her with choice #3. I could list things on ebay for her and deal with shipping and the like, or help with local pickup if that was necessary.

What if a forum member wanted something? Well... I got to thinking... if it sold on Ebay then in theory, we'd be finding a market price for her which should then be a 'fair' price to her, no? What then, if I gave a forum member 15% discount OFF of that market price so you'd be getting a 'deal' that was fair to her and fair to you (relative to market prices). I would essentially, take the forum 15% discount out of MY pocket and be doing a favor for someone and still get paid $1.50 for a McDonalds fries & coke for my efforts and she is documenting a fair value for things.

Am I onto something here or am I looking for trouble?

I'm thinking this is a bit interesting. Memebers can choose to bid or not and if they are the high bidder, they know their actual cost would be say, 15% below the actual final winning price.

Thoughts?

I might add that nothing was concluded today, we just discussed the options in person instead of the emails we've been using thus far. I'm still trying to get my head around how quickly my wife is going to throw me out of the house if I bring home a pair of Khorns, LaScalas and various other items that we do NOT have the room for.

Maybe I'll store them in Ben's doghouse that he's contemplating.... [*-)] [&]

I'm all for helping out, and it truly is a noble thing you are doing.......but you have a "Tiger by the tail " with this one.....

only because the market is so depressed and shipping is still astronomically expensive........You and all of us have seen some of these high ticket items go for a fraction of what they are worth......

I have some deluxe dog crates or I'm sure Groomy will let you sleep with the horses if your wife gets so mad you need to cross state lines....[;)]

This is a time bomb waiting to go off. Price expectations are too high. Value for insurance purposes and value for immediate resale are two different things. You are going to get stuck holding the bag and are in for a long term hobby trying to unload this stuff. Then theres the issues of feedback and shipping damages.

choices should be:

a.) she can sell it herself and you are done.

b.) you can buy the lot at 25 cent on the expected used sell price dollar and deal with all the try to sell issues and she is done.

c.) She can sell the lot to someone else at 25 cents on the the expected used sell price dollar.

I think it would be simpler to offer the pieces here for a fair price. Take 10 or 15% of those. They will be easier, faster, more secure and cheaper sales. What doesn't sell put on the 'gon or eBay (depending on the item) and take your 25%. It will be worth that much for the trouble.