Volvo V70....Any thoughts?

Tarheel

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am very Partial to VW Passats. Two weeks ago my son was driving my 2001 VW Passat Wagon. He pulled out into an intersection (he thought was clear)
a lady flying down the street clipped the Left Rear side. EVERY Airbag on the left side deployed , the wagon was slung 180 degrees. My son Walked away with NO scratches at all.....................

Total damages 4,500.00 dollars . Left rear Quarter panel will be replaced, rear under frame straightened, new rear bumper Tail light, Interior Rear Floor hatch along with a new 6 Disc CD Player (that was cracked in half). My Body shop man told me it would take 2,000 more before they would even consider it Totaled..........

So I love Passats ! I also have a 2003 VW Passat 22mpg City / 30mpg Highway on both models !

Another thing to Strongly think about: Ford currently owns Volvo. The reports say that they are going to Sell Volvo Off in the Near Future.................

Thanks Bill. Your son was very fortunate to have escaped with no injuries. One thing I have learned about wrecks is CarFax reports will come back to haunt you if you trade in your wrecked car. Even if it is satisfactorily repaired and drives fine you will be offered next to nothing in trade. That happened with the wifes Saturn wagon. Someone ran into her car in a mall parking lot and now Carfax list structural damage in their report. Accurate but does not note that all parts were replaced and with new body panels the cosmetics were actually improved. Something to keep in mind when negotiating a claim.

Ford owning Volvo isn't as relevant as the fact that people walk away from wrecks in Volvos all the time too. They are also built like tanks and are very nice cars. Ford got a lot of good technology from Volvo in the years they have owned them.

They are both great cars. I would say it's a tough choice.

Good morning Bruce and thanks for your comments. The salesman also mentioned that Ford had learned a lot from Volvo about safety issues.

The car in question is a black 2008 V70 with tan leather and drives and rides great. Volvo is reducing it to below invoice (about $8 K off sticker) because it is a year old. The wife keeps a car for a long time so even though the price is hard to swallow there may be little chance of changing her mind.

My daughter is driving a 2007 Passat. It's got some electrical problems that the dealer hasn't fixed, even under warranty. There are some other quality problems, but I'm not recalling what they are at the moment.

Because of the quality issues, I wouldn't buy a Passat.

Bill, glad to know your son was uninjured. Good testimony for the air bag system.

Tarheel, my best advice is get your wife what she wants.

Bruce,

Good Point also. Tarheel if you wife is going to keep it a long time........and it sounds like she Really, Really wants it . Go for It and Enjoy.

The color sounds rich, and I too love the ride quality in Volvo's. Good Luck.

If I ever decide to sell that Passat, I may just Donate it to a Charity for Tax purposes since it is paid for..............

Tan leather is good, but black paint is not as good if it is hot and sunny most of the time. I see a lot of cars on the barely used market here that are black. It only takes one summer to realize what a heat sink a nice dark color can be. Good luck with whatever decision she makes.[au]

I am alive today thanks to a 98 Volvo V70. I got t-boned by a Mercedes SUV going close to 45 mph, and was knocked out for a couple minutes. When I came to I saw the firemen carrying the body bag, and would have shouted "I'm not dead yet!" if everything didn't hurt so much. Went out and promptly purchased another V70 when we could.

If you buy used, get one that has the complete maintenance records, and ensure all required maintenance has been done. They are expensive, but your family is worth more than cutting a few corners. Besides, they can fit a set of KHorns in the back, no problem.

We've had a 2008 XC70 (the AWD V70) for about 6 months now and think it is a fine car. I wouldn't hesitate recommending it to anyone.

I will admit that it took some getting used to on our part because we had never had a foriegn car before. We have always driven Ford cars/trucks and we wouldn't be driving the Volvo if Ford didn't own them.

One thing that is VERY cool on it is the rain sensing wipers. You hit a switch on the wiper lever (right side of the steering wheel) and the wipers only swipe when the windshield is wet. It's great on those misty days.

It is probably the most comfortable car I have ever driven. Excellent road trip vehicle and my family is safe in it.

Good luck.

Several people at work have had both of them.I would go the Volvo route over the VW. Like any other foreign car they really stick it to you after the warranty is out. The dealer here is a first class jerk. Every time the guy next to me goes for service he has to fight to get a loaner(my absolute deal breaker pet peeve) and they try to sell him unnecessary repairs. With that in mind I would try to buy the Volvo with a deal on an extended warranty. Not my choice but they are great- well built -safe cars. Maybe you could get yourself some new gear if you buy her the Volvo????????

Thanks for all the good suggestions. The wife has made it clear through body language, if nothing else, that she wants the Volvo. So we won't be remodeling the kitchen or enlarging the master suite for now. Cost of repairs is a big dread for me plus breaking in a new dealer[+o(] will not be much fun.

Now do I self finance and pay myself back monthly or do an adjustable home equity at 4% and claim the deduction[^o)]

Very good and welcomed advice from all. Thanks guys.

Tar,

I know you where just thinking aloud, but honestly- if you can walk into a Dealer with Cash...........you'd be miles ahead. This way if some thing

happens.............you/or your wife own it outright...........no banks, lawyers, or BMV title switches to deal with..............

Lucky Dog

Volvo = Happy Wife = Priceless.........

JB- You know just when to jump in with the Perfect one liner...............I was drinking coffee , when I read your Post............

There you go JB. I think a Malibu is built on the Saturn Aura platform or vice versa. So much of that sharing going on such as the Volvo V50 being built on the Ford focus and Mazda 3 platform. But a hundred years from now who is even going to remember?

Now its off to work so I can make those car payments so the little lady can run to the grocery store in a nice, safe, vehichle[:S]

Yes Bill......you could say JB is Top Notch when it comes to one liners.