Check Out My New Belles!

garymd

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The G-man was being kind. Two of us carried them up a narrow and steep flight of stairs, through two rooms and out to the drive way. I could not have done it myself. They are heavy mamas and it was not an easy chore for two of us. Could I pick one up myself? I don't know and I don't really give a rat's hiney. I'm glad the G-man is pleased with his new speakers. They look and sound great. I'm also pleased the 83 Cornwalls will be on their way back to Wisconsin in about 8 hours. Although I have another pair at home I missed Dean's Crossovers and now I can put the curley maple pair out in plain view. From MD to PA to WI to PA to DE to MD to DE to PA to WI. The 83's get around don't they!

It was great to see Gary and finally meet Rich. I also got to visit with a couple other old friends and my east coast relatives so it was a good trip. It would have been a great trip except for the 885 mile stretch I have to negotiate most of tomorrow.

BTW, Gary's playboy pad is very, very nice. I'll be bach!

Beee-ute-eee-full Belles!

My vote for most beautiful klipsch heritage of all may just go the the belle. Plus, I'm a sucker for the oak w/ black grilles.

And while we're bragging about our he-manly heritage heave-ho's, I myself have moved a pair of klipschorns all by my lonesome! Tremble in fear, mortals!

I found out just what a task that must have been as Rplace (Richie Rich of course) and I carried them up the steep stairs at my house and into my music room.

Man , I thought you would have learned your lesson a few years ago ! Seems to me you messed up your back helping me load up your old single Belle . Then again my older brother threw his back out helping me get it inside . Next time use a padded dolly with non-maring straps . I moved all 5 of mine several months ago by myself , twice .

Oh yeah , congrats ! They sure are purdy !

Did I mention he had to practically carry these up the seller's basement stairs by himself?

The key word here is PRACTICALLY! I was exaggerating just a bit as he did have some help. I wanted to underscore my appreciation to Scott for a task neither of us realized would have to be performed. All three of us have various back and shoulder problems and I truly appreciate the help I received from both Scott and Rich this weekend. There's no way I could have moved Belles into that house alone. Cornwalls? Probably. Belles? No friggin way!

We didn't have a lot of listening time with the Belles and I wasn't going to use what time we did have for cleaning. I can do that on my next trip. Rich did warn me that I'd never be able to get that last bit of dust out of the corners of the bass bins.

So, anyone know what crossover are supposed to be in a pair of '98s?

I found out just what a task that must have been as Rplace (Richie Rich of course) and I carried them up the steep stairs at my house and into my music room.

Man , I thought you would have learned your lesson a few years ago ! Seems to me you messed up your back helping me load up your old single Belle . Then again my older brother threw his back out helping me get it inside . Next time use a padded dolly with non-maring straps . I moved all 5 of mine several months ago by myself , twice .

Oh yeah , congrats ! They sure are purdy !

Thanks Willy. I told Rich & Scott that when I eventually sell the Belles and move the Khorns into that room, whoever buys them will have to bring a friend or two! I'm done with that!! And yes, I remember very well loading that Belle with you. I almost forgot about the time (about 5 years ago) I picked up a single Belle for Greg (Maine Greg) and moved it from my van to my basement ALONE. I had it wrapped in a heavy blanket and let it slowly slide down the carpeted stairs. It was much easier going down than up. I also think the older Belles were lighter than the newer ones made from MDF. At least it felt that way to me. Maybe I'm just getting old.

Congrats Gary those look great. What are you driving them with? Later Bill

Bill,

Using a Scott 299 and Thorens TD124/SME 3009/Zu Modded 103R. I brought the minimax tube CD player home because it wasn't getting any use. I'd love to bring my VRDs/BBX/Basis from home for an audition but I'm way to lazy for that to ever happen. For a 2nd home/3rd system, the 299 is more than adequate.

At one point during the weekend, Rich and I carried the Cornwalls downstairs and hooked them up in the 2 story great room. Very disappointing is all I can say. I don't think the 299 had quite enough umph along with other room related problems.

Late to the posting party (damn work getting in the way), but I had to chime in on my take. The belles are butes! Very nice looking and much better balanced bass then the cornwalls IMHO. That was by far the most ear time I hvae had with CWs in one sitting. They sure do rock, but the Beles have it in spades over them in detail and sound stage. Not bashing the CWs, just fun to see how different speakers can both sound great and still sound so different.

My personal highlight was seeing Scott Anderson's handy work on the Thorens. I got to peek under the hood a bit, wow a lot going on there. Now I want another TTable. Truly an engeneering marvel. And so different then todays tables you just have to be impresed. As for what really matters - the sound - I think it would be hard to beat for twice the price. That little Scott held its own too.

Garys new digs are sweet...way too girly a decor for a man-pad, but that will take care of itself in time. Can you tell I am jealous? I need a 2nd house just so I have an excuse to buy more gear.

Double bonus that I got to meet two forum members. Scott (bomac) and Dave (veloceleste). Both great guys.

The neighbors must have been a bit puzzled: Hey Martha, not much activity over at that house for months and now all sorts of cars coming and going, guys carrying in boxes and boxes of LPs not to mention them lugging in and out all those huge speakers. WTF, I think that Gary guy must be single as no wife would put up with all those huge speakers and noise.

Shoot, I didn't know you guys were doing the Belle thing! I thought the whole trip was to do the Thorens noise test for me! [;)] Thanks again for doing that. It was fun to hear Rich's voice. I sure wish I coulda been there.

Nice Belles, Gary! If you really want to bring them up to maximum speed, I'd suggest the Trachorn route. I heard Lee Clinton's set-up in Arkansas back in '05, and it was stunning! I'd love to someday mod my Khorns this way, BTW. At a bare minimum, have Bob Crites freshen the existing crossovers. What's in your Khorns? You might be able to try their crossovers in the Belles. Fun stuff, my friend!

Another BTW: I just received the longer Thorens motor-mounting bolts I won on eBay. This mod (bringing the Thorens up to MK II performance, motor mount-wise) *should* help with the noise I'm hearing.

Those Belles are spectacular! Like the oak and black. I agree that the soundstage and the refined bass of the Belles is their hallmark. But I am biased.

Gregg...not to highjack this thread , but I think that Bryan will be bringing a pair of refurbished ( new crossovers, tweets etc) Cornwalls to my house on the 20th so we'll have the opportunity to compare my Belles with them.

Josh

• 3 weeks later...

Just got a call from my pal Craig who informed me that AB2s are the same as AK3s/AL3s because the Belles were never upgraded from AB to AB2 at the same time the others were. Therefore, it seems I won't need to upgrade any time soon and is also why I didn't hear any real improvement when I dropped in the ALK Jrs. Now I just need to play with placement and see what happens. I was wondering why a pair of '98's didn't have AB3s in them. They don't exist!

Thanks Craig! First good news I've had in a while.

I do not know how Scott moved them single handed. The less than robust Parrot helped me load his his Belles into my Dodge minivan for the ride to my home. Not an easy task.

Weight 125 lbs. (56.75kg)

Do-able. Stick out tongue

Awkwardness especially up flight of stairs without damaging finish.

Not do-able. Tongue Tied

Verdict: Tall tale enhanced story. PWK BS Button

Your full of cow pie son.

Nice speakers Gary, congrats. Hope you enjoy them more than the Cornwalls, so you can talk me into a pair.

After a month of listening, I'd sure like to know your opinion on Belles VS Conrwalls.

The beauty of the Belles edges out the Cornwall's classic looks JMHO, but I know the sound is what counts. I've always lusted after the Belles, still do, but Cornwalls will be tough to beat.