Anybody familiar with McIntosh amps?

y7deluxe

I have a set of CF-4's and CF-3's but I'm powering them with a 100watt per chan receiver. I'm guessing I won't have any problems running my speakers with McIntosh amps? I haven't had much time to research this because I just found them tonight and the listing was just put up today...

I found a guy on craigslist who is selling his fathers stuff(Its all
mcintosh there is a tuner, 3 amplifiers, preamp & a cd player). He didn't list any serials, but he showed a picture. He's asking
$200 for everything which seems extremely low for McIntosh equipment. I
don't know anything about McIntosh other than it's high quality stuff.
Does anybody have any idea what it's all worth?

pic of the 5 mcintosh units

Well the post was just put up tonight and the guy hasn't responded to my e-mail. One of my buddies mentioned that he could have forgotten a zero on the end of the asking price. So I'm going to offer him $190 for it over the phone. If it's a typo, I'll find out then. I can't ask if he meant 2k though, else he might start wondering ;) Thanks for the quick responses. Wish me luck guys.

Well the post was just put up tonight and the guy hasn't responded to my e-mail. One of my buddies mentioned that he could have forgotten a zero on the end of the asking price. So I'm going to offer him $190 for it over the phone. If it's a typo, I'll find out then. I can't ask if he meant 2k though, else he might start wondering ;) Thanks for the quick responses. Wish me luck guys.

Don't lowball him if that is a legit post. If it is $2K that is probably a good deal as well.

I was serious because I didn't want to straight out ask him "was it supposed to be listed for $2,000 and you just forgot a zero?" But I re-checked the listing and he mentioned $200 OBO twice in the listing, so I doubt he messed up and forgot a zero twice. I sent him an e-mail:

Hey, if these are still available, can I come out tomorrow and take a
look at them? I'll bring cash and make it quick and easy for ya. If so,
just let me know. I'll need your address and phone number before I head
out. Thanks.

... So I'm going to offer him $190 for it over the phone ...

You are kidding, right? You noticed the number of mcintosh components with their wood cases inside that audio rack, right?

I agree with the other posters above that, that is most likely is a very bad move, especially over the phone. Assuming it is not a scam but a genuine posting, then either that listing is accurate as stated or it is not. If that ad is indeed accurate as stated then the likelyhood of successfully closing any legitimate deal that is that far under the value of even "a very good deal" rapidly decreases with each tick of the clock. If you do happen to hear from the seller, don't negotiate or dilly & dally over $10, close the deal for the $200 asap, pdq, post haste, pronto, el quicko. rapido, das fasto, wham bamm, like yesterday dude!!!!

Ya ya ya... go jump on the deal!

If this is indeed, a legit offering from this person, then he's simply clueless as to its value and I personally would have a bad conscience taking advantage of his ignorance.

Others will disagree with me and that's fine, to each his own. To put it differently, what if you had no idea your car was worth $25,000 since it's an original 1969 Chevelle SS. If you offered it for sale for $500 as a gas guzzler, how would you feel if you discovered the reality after the person left with a straight face, that he was high five'ing his pals after he's gone over the 'deal' he received? (in essence, laughing at you who didn't know better)

A deal (to me) is educated on both sides and one side knowingly offers a value. it's not taking advantage of someones apparent ignroance. With a discrepancy like this, if this is a legit deal, then he IS ignorant (as defined as not knowing) of the market value and it wouldn't be a "deal".

Just offering a different view.

Unfortunately, he never responded to my e-mails. The add is still up online though. Obviously it's been up a long time now, where as when I originally e-mailed him, it was immediately after it was posted. These are the two e-mails I sent:

First: Is this still available? If so, when could I come by and take a look?
Thanks.

Second: Hey, if these are still available, can I come out tomorrow and take a
look at them? I'll bring cash and make it quick and easy for ya. If so,
just let me know. I'll need your address and phone number before I head
out. Thanks.

I'll update you guys if I ever do hear back from the guy. I'm pretty sure I won't, but if I do, I'd imagine it'll go something like this "hey man, sorry, these have already sold"

Then she's better than my wife who'd simply toss my stuff to the street and put a sign on it "if you can lift if, you can have it"

Sad

Probably wouldn't be many takers, then. Now that I think about it, how much do the Quad IIs weigh?I mean, I could probably be there in a couple of hours...