New Klipsch line vs Heritage for HT

No Disc

and I have not heard any Reference except my RS-7 surrounds. With that said, as a past owner of Chorus IIs, Academy and Quartets, I would have to say either keep what you have or move up to larger Heritage. 4 Chorus IIs and Academy is really nice. My taste as a move up would Belles or Cornwalls but I have not had the pleasure of Klipschorns. Don't know what you are driving them with but I have found a great difference in sound depending on pre/pro/amp. Consider spending on that change.

OR THOSE JUBILEEs before that gets said.

I have had both at the same time in the same room. I like both lines for different reasons. The new line is the best thing going at any where near the price. They will fit into an average sized room and deliver great performance. My original plan was to have 2 channel heritage stuff and a reference HT. The heritage line won me over and the new-reference system was sold. However- i do not think it so fair to compare the two given cost and physical size difference of the 2 systems.The high end of the heritage line is IMHO without equal except for the professional series stuff and that is another ball game.

Yikes, if you want to significantly upgrade from Chorus II, then
you're looking at something like the Jubilee or P-39f. I don't think
Klipsch stepped backwards with the Reference series, but you're buying
mostly looks and aesthetics rather than acoustical performance.

If
you're looking to upgrade, then I would suggest a new center channel.
There is no way an Academy keeps up with the Chorus II. Though I think
your only option will probably be something custom as I don't think
Klipsch has anything that will perfectly match the tonality. The KLF-C7
is only going to be a minor upgrade.

Yikes, if you want to significantly upgrade from Chorus II, then you're looking at something like the Jubilee or P-39f. I don't think Klipsch stepped backwards with the Reference series, but you're buying mostly looks and aesthetics rather than acoustical performance.

If you're looking to upgrade, then I would suggest a new center channel. There is no way an Academy keeps up with the Chorus II. Though I think your only option will probably be something custom as I don't think Klipsch has anything that will perfectly match the tonality. The KLF-C7 is only going to be a minor upgrade.

Yep,them 83's are just for looks,not acoustical performance,prolly the Pallladium too(maybe Klipsch could use this as their new slogan).C'mon Doc,you have every right to your opinion but....the 83's are not "mostly looks"they sound pretty decent actually.

Hmmm....maybe I said that wrong? I don't think the RF-83 sounds worse than the Chorus II at all.....I was just saying that I think the biggest difference is the aesthetic factor...as in, the aesthetics is mostly what you're paying for. I wouldn't trade my Chorus II's for RF-83's, but then I probably wouldn't trade RF-83's for Chorus II's...

I will say though that tall thin speakers aren't being built because that offers better acoustical performance...

Since I have not had much experience with the new stuff, I just wanted to get impressions from those that had tried both. I'm not really asking for the sense of upgrading from the Chorus IIs. All your input helps. I'll hold on to my Chorus IIs for now then.

Thanks so much.

No Disc

I had some Reference but never got the hang of two-way.

You'll find a lot of Heritage guys here on the Forum. Maybe because they're more fun to tinker with, but there is something very comforting about that three-way design by PWK.

I'm with Doc, you'd have to go a long way to upgrade from CH II.

M

I have had both at the same time in the same room. I like both lines for different reasons. The new line is the best thing going at any where near the price. They will fit into an average sized room and deliver great performance. My original plan was to have 2 channel heritage stuff and a reference HT. The heritage line won me over and the new-reference system was sold. However- i do not think it so fair to compare the two given cost and physical size  difference of the 2 systems.The high end of the heritage line is IMHO without equal except for the professional series stuff and that is another ball game.

I do not think you can sum it up much better than was done in the above. If room space is an issue the newer lines are hard to even compete with. The THX Ultra II is exceptional as an HT. The Reference rigs are a pretty solid performer, but having said that IMO PWK just nailed it with his designs that we now call the Heritage line which is why they are still so coveted. If space is not an issue a Heritage rig cannot be touched by any of the consumer lines out there but in many setting they are hard for people to accommodate.

I thought at last years Pilgrimage that the new ICONSeries sounded closer to Heritage than Reference does to me...I think that all the Klipsch speakers sound good...I just find that the 3 way Heritage sounds best to my ears...in my experience, Heresy, Heresy II, Heresy III, LaScala II, Klipschorn (all [;)] ), extended Heritage Quartet sound better to my ears than what has come after them...I didn't get much ear time on the Palladiums...hope that helps...seems you just wanted to know how Klipsch sounds today, not that you wanted to change...

Bill

Rf 83s to Cornwalls- same here- Deal fell through for me on new/display Rf83s for 1600.00 - bought a used pair of cornwalls the next day for 700- Cornwalls- gateway drug to disaster.

I still say that the RF83 is a killer speaker for anywhere around 1800 or less considering what else is on the market.I would have been happy with a pair. Deserves more respect than it is gettting in this thread. Stomps Definitive- Stomps B&K at this price point or above.Don't get me wrong- I am among the worst Heritage junkies on this forum- but- you have to search and wait and drive to put a system together. It is not like you can go buy what you want. New is out for most people.My heritage HT setup would have cost north of 20 grand new- not going to ever happen. I was extremely lucky to put together what I wanted in 3 months. With a Reference system you can just go buy it. Some people dont want to spend all day on the internet looking for speakers and drive 3000 miles to put a system together. One plus for the reference stuff.

it's apples to oranges. Many newer homes don't have the room nor decor to support the heritage line (nor the WAF)....

The reference series fits into modern decor and modern opinion.

I love my Quartets and Academy though, I had a full Rotel/Definitive/Marantz setup ..BP20, CLR1000, BP10's. The klipsch just sounds more real.

I had some Reference but never got the hang of two-way.

You'll find a lot of Heritage guys here on the Forum. Maybe because they're more fun to tinker with, but there is something very comforting about that three-way design by PWK.

I'm with Doc, you'd have to go a long way to upgrade from CH II.

M

Michael,

Your Jubilees didn't convert you to a 2-way kind of guy????

Rog

• Moderators

Michael,

Your Jubilees didn't convert you to a 2-way kind of guy????

Rog

He said the Jubilees sound muffled and not good at all, but what could you expect there still in the shipping box ! [:|]

Sorry Michael, but you have way way more patience than me I would have been up all night playing with them the day they arrived, and for the next week.

I've told Rachel that when I get my dedicated room, I'm going to upgrade to Heritage. once she saw the pictures of them, she said, "ya, you can get them when you get your room, cuz there's no way those are going in the living room". You know, the world would be a lot better off without WAF!!! [:@]