BluRay Player recommendations

USNRET

I currrently use a PS-3 for BR play. My Denon AVR-4306 doesn't decode the newest audio but has 7.1 analog inputs. AFAIK, there is no way to get the 7.1 analog out of the PS-3. It would be nice if the player would do SACD / DVD-A as I have a few of those. My TV is 62" DLP 720/1080i but hopefully I can get one of the kids to toss a toy thru it so I can upgrade. Anyone have a recommendation for a BDP? I saw Noah's comments on the Sony BDP-S550, sounds okey dokey, just checking to see if there are any others available at this time. For the life of me, I have a hard time determining which player will output the newer formats over analog.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Yeah, unfortunately for those that need to use analog, the PS3 does not have that ability. A lot of guys recommend Oppo as well.

For the life of me, I have a hard time determining which player will output the newer formats over analog.

When determining whether a DVD player has them, there are two places I check. Say your looking at the Denon DVD-1940CI. First place I look is the "Detailed Specification". It says "Built-In Dolby Digital, dts, DVD-Audio, SACD* Decoders with 5.1 outputs". That's what you are looking for. Another way is to look at the rear of the DVD Player by clicking on the "View More Images" at the top of the page and clicking "Back". You will see on the right it says, "5.1ch Audio Out". That's how I look to see whether or not it has what you are looking for. My guess (but only a guess) is the Oppo would be a good contender to the Sony BDP-S550. Good luck.

You are correct in that you aren't able to get the 7.1 analog outputs from the PS3, but your PS3 does decode the HD audio formats and send them over PCM through an HDMI cable. As long as your receiver is capable of receiving PCM through HDMI (which from looking at the manual online of your receiver it appears that it does) you are actually hearing the HD audio formats as long as you select them on the Blu-Ray disc's audio menu.

To verify that the PS3 is outputting DTS-HD, True-HD, etc simply hit Select on your PS3's remote and on the top of the screen it will show what audio format it is outputting.

There are pors and cons for most of the players out

The Sony S550 is probably on the best player you canget for the money. The fact that it is a sony player makes it nice and like the PS3 it is well supported but the PS3 still has a faster loading time. I have seen them as long as $ 279 and for that price it is virtually impossible to beat

If you already have the PS3 you might consider wait until the OPPO Blu ray player comes out. It might be worth the wait.

I’m actually part of the Oppo BDP-83 EAP and it is a really nice player. I don’t have all the various media types to test it to its limits but Blu-ray and standard DVD playback are exceptional. Its menu system is very well laid out and even the packaging is first-rate.

I’m not a Gamer so I’ve no experience with the PS3 but I did own a Denon 2500BTCI for about a month. The Denon is literally built like a tank with all the metal plating inside to isolate the various internal components and outside influences. But while Blu-ray discs looked great it was sub-par on upconverting standard DVDs – it just didn’t have the guts when it came down to it. The BDP-83 is a Universal player and while there are still firmware updates coming, by the time it’s released it should be at or near the top of the feature/performance pile for only $500.

Did my post get lost in the shuffle? HE DOESN'T NEED A SEPARATE BLU-RAY PLAYER FOR HD SOUND! [;)]

Just make sure the audio out on your PS3 is set to Linear PCM and not Bitstream.

If you want to thank me for saving you a few hundred dollars, go ahead. [8-|]

Wuzzer, help me understand. PS-3 to Denon AVR-4306 via HDMI yields DTS-HD and Dolby True HD with Linear PCM selected? Denon says NO, and will not be updating firmware to enable it.

If you want to thank me for saving you a few hundred dollars, go ahead.

I thank you for just helping period but I'll up the thanks if this actually works!

Your Denon will not display "DTS-HD, Dolby True HD, etc.... It will however say " PCM or LCPM Multichannel 5.1 or 7.1, depending on the BD disc you are playing. When playing a movie, just hit the display menu on the remote and it should say "Dolby True , DTS-HD etc.. Your PS3 will actually be doing to decoding and sending it to your Denon via PCM. It will work. You do not need another player. I have a buddy who also has a Denon avr 4306 and he has no problems with it. Wuzzer is correct.

Your Denon will not display "DTS-HD, Dolby True HD, etc.... It will however say " PCM or LCPM Multichannel 5.1 or 7.1, depending on the BD disc you are playing. When playing a movie, just hit the display menu on the remote and it should say "Dolby True , DTS-HD etc.. Your PS3 will actually be doing to decoding and sending it to your Denon via PCM. It will work. You do not need another player. I have a buddy who also has a Denon avr 4306 and he has no problems with it. Wuzzer is correct.

I 'preciate the help but you guys will have to type slowly now. I insert 'The Dark Knight' labled Dolby TrueHD. I set the PS3 audio set up to HDMI; automatic. I set the BD audio to PCM. I see "multi-channel " when I hit the 'display' button on the PS-3. I have my AVR audio in set to auto, I see multi channel displayed on my AVR.

Now I switch the PS-3 to Bitstream and I see Dolby 5.1 on both the upper right OSD from PS-3 and DD 5.1 on my AVR.

Is multi channel in same as DTS HD / Dolby TrueHD?

The PS3 cannot Bitstream HD audio signals. If it could, your receiver would be doing the decoding and it would show the HD audio format on your receiver. If you select Linear PCM in the PS3 audio output and also select whatever HD audio format is available on the Blu-Ray disc's Audio or Language menu then you are receiving the HD audio signal to your Denon. Your Denon should let you choose between different surround formats as to your liking.

Hit Select on a PS3 controller while watching a movie and look for what is shown in the upper-right corner of the screen. It should display DTS-HD or whatever HD audio signal is encoded on the disc.

My Onkyo defaults to "MultiCh" when I do this. It also allows me to select a THX mode, stereo, etc.

Basically if you can hear sound by doing the above things, you are definitely hearing the HD audio.