So That's That Then

Rented a Doge Grand Caravan yesterday, my son jumped onboard with iPod & dash aux input as official Road Trip DJ and we were off to Houston. 9 hours later we were back in Dallas with a beautiful pair of light oak Klipschorns!

What can I say? You guys that have them are nodding your heads in a "I told you so" kind of fashion. Those that don't I encourage you to listen at your earliest.

Mine are paired with the 1961 Pilot SA tube amp and the two (or is it three) seem to work great together, only the slightest hint of hiss from the HF and absolutely no hum. My job now is to play through my entire music collection. See you in 5 years!

2297_12-1.jpg

Doesn't the long drive give you the feeling that you earned these speakers

Actually listening to my son's iPod for 9 hours gave me the feeling I'd earned these speakers!

Joke OK?

Good start on commentary. Now about the weather, the vehicle, what road food you ate, what went wrong, how late you stayed up wrestling them into the house....you get the idea. Some guys on here live vicariously through the exploits of others. Give em something to get em through the weekend, mmmk?

Michael

Doesn't the long drive give you the feeling that you earned these speakers

Actually listening to my son's iPod for 9 hours gave me the feeling I'd earned these speakers!

Joke OK?

Good start on commentary. Now about the weather, the vehicle, what road food you ate, what went wrong, how late you stayed up wrestling them into the house....you get the idea. Some guys on here live vicariously through the exploits of others. Give em something to get em through the weekend, mmmk?

Michael

Michael, the road from Dallas to Houston is "uneventful" to put the best face on it. Pleasant enough for driving, but not anything to write home about?

OK for all you wanting the "full story" here it is:

It was a dark & stormy night...no wait...I mean, I remember at a very young age...

Found them on ebay of all places via a search with Search Tempest which scans local Craigslist & ebay auctions for you. The gentlemen had a Buy It Now price (I can't be bothered with the bidding having had a number of sellers drop out at the last minute) so I contacted him & we settled on $1,700 for the pair. All this time I'm on a business trip (multiple actually) so I'm worried that he's going to think I'm some kind of scammer "out of town right now, will send you a bank check for $60,000..." He's cool though, we agree on a Paypal deposit & cash at settlement. I got back home on Easter Sunday and set everything up for Tuesday.

I didn't want to do the U-Hual piece of crap for 50 cents/mile thing so I contacted National Car Rental and found out they have Chrysler Town & Country Mini-Vans with seats that fold into the floor. I called the local Dodge dealer & got dimensions, the K's would fit perfectly! Now it was off to Houston on a bright sunny Texas spring day with bright wildflowers lining Interstate 45 (God bless you Ladybird). With my 13 year old riding shotgun & piloting the iPod we were at the seller's house in under 5 hours. He had a pretty extensive collection of equipment & a full theater/listening room. We quickly hooked up the K-Horns & verified all was OK, humped them down the stairs to the van & then we high-tailed it before he came back to his senses!

Drive back was uneventful save for tacos & borracho beans at Taco Cabana & the obligitory (in Texas anyway) stop at Dairy Queen. Rush hour greeted us in Dallas but finally we were home and carefully unloading speakers. 1st problem; the spade lugs on my cables were too small for the K's bananas so it was off to the Depot before I could listen to anything. Soon enough we were all hooked up & working, the wife unit helped lift the horns into place and we were off to the Cathode Tube Races.

1st listening session was short as I needed to get the rental van back & retrieve my car, plus my ears were fairly pounded from the highway & my son's taste in music! Anyway, a quick dinner back at the house & then the anticipation is finally over. Where do you start? Something you know? Something to really test them? I chose Lee Hooker's The Healer as the first cut...needless to say the listening session went late. My wife's comment was the best (she's been married to a sound engineer for years) "hmm" she said "sound like studio monitors don't they?" She's right, they have that highly defined soundstage and full but tight low end typical of the double 15"/horn JBLs or Westlakes. When the music starts you jump! They started out a little bright but by the time I'd got to Clapton's Ocean Boulevard everything had smoothed out nicely.

Tonight is vinyl, I've been saving myself.

Now you know the rest of the story.

THAT'S what I'm talking about! The, finances, the scenery, the tacos, the scramble to return rental vehicle,the wifey helping to life the horns into place (?), the obligatory connector fiasco, the argument with self as what to play first.

mmmmm Dairy Queen mmmmm

Thanks for the journey. Now bask in the glorious sounds. I have company coming over in about an hour. I think I'll go play my Khorns for a bit, just because I can.

Michael

Ahhhggggggg! What I would give for two corners!!! [8o|] Nice find Phil and thanks to Michael for demanding a "story"! LOL

I am so jealous! Well, I have La Scala's, so I am not THAT jealous, but still a little jealous!

I bet your son's Ipod just made your first listening session that much better. Thanks for sharing the story.

Dennie

[+o(] Green with envy. Thanks for the story. I'm one of those vicarious KHorn lovers.... someday... a fella can dream can't he?

Took me years before I actually heard a pair and yeah, while I've not really listened to a lot of ulta expensive exotics, I've heard a few very good systems and KHorns deliver. I've not head a more live sound from any brand of speaker than I've heard from Klipsch. And when you're listening to music, the real thing is the ultimate reference.

Enjoy! It doesn't get much better. [8][8][H][8][8]

now to get some corners cleaned out or easier to clear out just in case ...