New Star Trek Review...

Schu

it was too loud. I didn't realize I needed to take ear plugs to watch the movie. Some of the scenes were piercing to my ears.

Come on, I like to listen to music turned up sometimes but man its got to be smooth and fairly warm I cant take that screaming crap.

Yeah I agree!! I had a headache when I got out of the movie.

Probably be the last movie I watch at a theater. I enjoy watching movies at my house a lot more. Also what is the point of spending money on a home theater system.

I liked the movie and thought they did a good job with it.

Technology conflicts - I found my self wondering what the producers were thinking....how on earth can the technology portrayed in this film be more advanced the the technology portrayed in the orginal series. The original series used walkie-talkie communicators, computers said "working" during wait times for basic commands, etc

I am quite certain that if Roddenberry had the same kind of budget and technology that was available for this movie, he would no doubt have taken advantage of them and made something just as impressive as this movie came out to be.

Curtural conflicts - the most out of wack aspect.....during the original series there were no aliens on the enterprise, much less the acadamy...

Again, from what I understand, Roddenberry wanted to have aliens on the Enterprise and in the Acadamy, but again that working with a shoe-string budget, even for those times, he could not afford the elaborate makeup that would've been required to create the different alien species. Yeah, compared to what this movie was, those original episodes of Star Trek do indeed come of looking pretty hokey. But still, some pretty cool storylines, though (probably why I still dig out the DVDs now and again and watch them. I have every single episode of Star Trek on DVD, accept I am still missing Season 3 of Enterprise and Season One of the new remade version of the original series)

Probably be the last movie I watch at a theater. I enjoy watching movies at my house a lot more. Also what is the point of spending money on a home theater system.

I also pretty much rather just watch the movies in the comfort of my own home on my system (like you said - what is the point of spending money on these HT rigs anyway?), but every now and again, there is that one movie that I just gotta see and don't want to wait until it become available on DVD. Kinda funny, though as I was sitting through the previews for some upcoming movies, here I was thinking "That looks pretty cool - but I think I'll just wait for the DVD."

I also pretty much rather just watch the movies in the comfort of my own home on my system (like you said - what is the point of spending money on these HT rigs anyway?), but every now and again, there is that one movie that I just gotta see and don't want to wait until it become available on DVD. Kinda funny, though as I was sitting through the previews for some upcoming movies, here I was thinking "That looks pretty cool - but I think I'll just wait for the DVD."

Yeah, I did the Imax thing for Dark Night- it was my LAST time- too distorted and the surrounds were just not realistic. Never again....

From Speakerfritz

Technology conflicts - I found my self
wondering what the producers were thinking....how on earth can the
technology portrayed in this film be more advanced the the technology
portrayed in the orginal series. The original series used
walkie-talkie communicators, computers said "working" during wait times
for basic commands, etc

Curtural conflicts - the most out of wack
aspect.....during the original series there were no aliens on the
enterprise, much less the acadamy...

Not to be to much of a fan but in the animated series there was Lt. Arex and Lt. M'Ress.

http://www.danhausertrek.com/AnimatedSeries/Cast.html

Was everybody stoned when they made these shows back in the day? The prop guys had to be rolling on the floor when this aired.

captain-kirk-wtf.jpg

LOL, must some type of Alien STD.

Yea, he got it from this chick

Scottie, this planet's organic growth field is out of control! Quick, beam me up before it gets any bigger!

I saw that movie this weekend, actually it was an enjoyable experiance for an $8.00 matinee. I would say I have seen about 50% of the original Startrek on late night TV growing up (channel 11 WPIX in NY). It was, well pretty good to just campy. The Next Generation I thought had some pretty cool stories. I really liked the movie Galaxy Quest. I have never dressed up as any StarTrek figure except as Councilor Troy, but can you blame me?

We got to see it tonight at our local iMAX. Wow This movie far exceeded expectations. I may go see it again. I was about sick and bored of the Star Trek fanchise. In my opinion it was circling the drain. I have seen almost all of it and been a fan of some. I'm so glad they decided to just say screw it and just make a really good movie. Nothing wrong with alternate timelines. Good sci-fi flicks are few and far between but this was one of the good ones.

Leonard Nimoy: I was very pleased. I am familiar with his work,
I'm a fan of his work. I think he's an extremely talented gentleman.
We had a very successful meeting, myself with J.J. and a couple of his
writer/producers. The conversation went extremely well, because I got a
sense immediately that we were on the same page in terms of what
Star Trek
could and should be about. I thought they had a very strong grasp of
what the characters were about, and how the chemistry between the
characters should work. I was very pleased.