Cayin 860 Mono blocs

USNRET

What are you doin now? I swear, I'd never get rid of the 2125.

CB

Oh really, seems as though YOU got rid of a Mc SS.[^o)]

Seriously, I am looking to try some tubes out and while I am leaning towards a set of new VRDs since they are hard to find used I search for other things.

I found these and trying not to be influenced by the "Made in China" tag I was wondering what they are really like. The seller has made this statement:

I purchased these new in 2007 and have had significant upgrades ($1200) done after consulting with Sonic Craft (Sonicraft caps, Cardas caps, Mundorf & Blackgate caps, precision resistors, discrete ultrafast/quiet diodes, Cardas wiring, +++). I hired a tech from Modwright to install the parts upgrades. Have orignial tubes (EH and Cayin) plus upgraded set of NOS Mullard tubes, and new reissued octet set of all new EL34 Mullards. Many more details and pictures available. They are really sweet amps. I run them with my Modwright LS 36.5 and Joseph Audio RM 33 LE's.

Just checking in with the boys here to get some input.

I don't remember saying I was GETTING RID of the Mc, just in place of. In other words, how is the Cayin on it's own and how would it work with Peach and Belles. Still need to sell the MA6200, MR7083 and MAC 1700 though. CB, you and Chris can't have all the swap out fun although recently Joe is pulling ahead I think.

Have you considered a Stereo VRD? It's less expensive than the mono blocks.

Well now that I look, I can't seem to find that model. I guess I was looking at monos for additional coolness. Tell me more.

Well now that I look, I can't seem to find that model. I guess I was looking at monos for additional coolness. Tell me more.

All I can say is it's the best amp I've owned with my Lascala's. I've had a Craig rebuilt Scott, Jeff Rowland Model Two, and Quicksilver Horn Mono's, and the VRD 45st out performs all of the previous amps hands down(to me). I've not heard the mono's, but I'm sure they're a good step above the Stereo amp. Call Craig, he can tell you the difference in sonics between the two, and I think he gives discounts to forum members also.

Here's a link to a photo http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/storage/4/933786/front%20(Medium).JPG Here's a thread http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/86241/868941.aspx#868941

The VRD-45-ST was a limited production run so it has never been placed on my website. I wanted to get an idea of what I had to charge for a top quality stereo power amp and how well it would be received by my customers... in the end it was too well received LOL!! The thing just about completely killed the 2008 sales of the mono block VRD's which in turn killed my bottom line for 2008. I was so busy building the stereo amps I never looked to see if I was actually able to pay the bills while doing so. My cost to build the Stereo amp is within $150 of the cost of the Mono Blocks but I was charging $500 less for it like a bone head. Then factor in the constant increases in material costs in recent years.... So I ended up at a cross roads... Do I discontinue the stereo amp or do I raise the price to closer to the price of the mono blocks? In the end I have decided to raise the price on the VRD mono's to closer what just about everyone in the know told me I should get for them... The mono's now list at $3199 with forum discount of 10% and the soon to be re-released VRD-45-ST will list at $2599 with the same discount.

I'm thinking about doing and re-release pre order special for this spring/summer of %15 off rather then the normal 10%. If 3 or 4 folks want to get in on that let me know. The down payments will help me offset the expense of re-ordering all the hard parts (transformers and metal work).

The Stereo amp is just to darn nice to not build. It started out to be a low cost offering with some trade offs to lower the price... In the end my sickness would not allow me to let the trade offs required in the end product to keep the price down.

Craig

The VRD-45-ST was a limited production run so it has never been placed on my website. I wanted to get an idea of what I had to charge for a top quality stereo power amp and how well it would be received by my customers... in the end it was too well received LOL!! The thing just about completely killed the 2008 sales of the mono block VRD's which in turn killed my bottom line for 2008. I was so busy building the stereo amps I never looked to see if I was actually able to pay the bills while doing so. My cost to build the Stereo amp is within $150 of the cost of the Mono Blocks but I was charging $500 less for it like a bone head. Then factor in the constant increases in material costs in recent years.... So I ended up at a cross roads... Do I discontinue the stereo amp or do I raise the price to closer to the price of the mono blocks? In the end I have decided to raise the price on the VRD mono's to closer what just about everyone in the know told me I should get for them... The mono's now list at $3199 with forum discount of 10% and the soon to be re-released VRD-45-ST will list at $2599 with the same discount.

I'm thinking about doing and re-release pre order special for this spring/summer of %15 off rather then the normal 10%. If 3 or 4 folks want to get in on that let me know. The down payments will help me offset the expense of re-ordering all the hard parts (transformers and metal work).

The Stereo amp is just to darn nice to not build. It started out to be a low cost offering with some trade offs to lower the price... In the end my sickness would not allow me to let the trade offs required in the end product to keep the price down.

Craig

Your prices are great. The VRD-45-ST looks amazing.

mike

i would pass on the cayin personally i have heard bad things about them with noise levels to high etc.... if craigs amps are not within reach i would suggest going to audiogon and looking up autospec AKA will vincent his amps are easily worth the asking and he guarantees his work i ouned his dynaco mark 3 pair and paired with klipsch they sounded very nice indeed, i also hear his baldwin amps are very nice although i have not heard one myself

Joe

mike

i would pass on the cayin personally i have heard bad things about them with noise levels to high etc.... if craigs amps are not within reach i would suggest going to audiogon and looking up autospec AKA will vincent his amps are easily worth the asking and he guarantees his work i ouned his dynaco mark 3 pair and paired with klipsch they sounded very nice indeed, i also hear his baldwin amps are very nice although i have not heard one myself

Joe

Thanks Joe, I was looking for anyone that had any knowledge or rumors at all of these Cayins. I will more than likely go with Craig's amps and the stereo "maybe" version may be the ticket but in the meantime I was seeing what else was out there. I'm still trying to off load some gear so as not to get into trouble with the boss. I had everything sold three times and as you know 'stuff happens' and the deals fell thru.

Mike

Craig those are real nice looking amps, quick question what is the difference between Ultra Linear, and Triode.

Also i wouldn't think you could beat that price for a pair of 60 watt mono blocks especially with the forum discount he offers. But like Joe says if its not in the budget there are a few others it seems.

Also i wouldn't think you could beat that price for a pair of 60 watt mono blocks especially with the forum discount he offers. But like Joe says if its not in the budget there are a few others it seems

Sorta my point, with Craig's liberal forum discount vs the cost of the Cayins ($2300 delivered). I have heard the VRDs at Cigarbum's villa and they are NICE. I have leaped before and while I can't imagine going wrong with the VRDs I am trying to satisfy myself that I am doing at lease some amount of investigation on what's on the used market.

and to be honest with myself, I have to say I am looking at asthetics rolled in. In other words, I love my MC 2125 and I don't hear a couple of grand difference between the MC and the VRDs but cost/returns at this point is questionable.

but d**n those VRDs look cool in the low light, gotta love that glow. Well, they look pretty nice in the light as well...where's my Bama bucks?

what they hey, NOS you have a PM

I do not know anything about the VRDs other than great reputation thay have in he forum.

I wanted to weigh in my Cayin experience. I love my Cayin A50T. It is biult like a tank and dead quiet. I have compared it to newer MC275, Older MC75s, VTL EL34 monoblocks, Primaluna prologues, Cary AE 6 packs, Rebuilt Scott 99s, Creek SS, and Adcom. All comparisons were close but I have always chosen to keep the Cayin with my Klipschs. There seems to be complementary nature between my amp and the klipsch horns. BTW I also have the Cayin hybrid cd player that is also very nice.

Craig

I remeber you being concerned at pre prototype stage discussions you and I had, that the stereo amp may not be in the same performance class as the monoblocks.Craig has rebuilt 4 vintage amps for me predating the VRD Stereo purchase; we talk a bit.

Perhaps I am one fo the few people to hear both every year. Stereo amp several days a week and the monos at least 4 or 5 times a year.

I do not view ST-45 a lesser quality offereing in the least. Maybe a lesser horsepower offering (Mustang Shelby .vs GT) analogy would be the best way to describe it.

Thanks for the background Craig. If the minimum number of folks sign up what do you guesstimate delivery timeframe to be?

If two or three folks jump in and order I can start building them in late June. It will take that long to get the hard parts in. I'd really rather not take more the two or 3 in at this deal anyway. But I will not limit the number of folks that get in. I'll hold the cut date for ordering on this deal to the May 31st.

Craig