"America�s oldest surviving maker of hi-fi equipment�

Colin

Some reviewers may think “hi-fi,” as stereos were once called, does not include big ole horn speakers, but somebody should tell venerable Sam Telling of Stereophile magazine that “America’s oldest surviving maker of hi-fi equipment,” (page 19, July, 2009) is not Macintosh, but Klipsch & Associates!

Paul W. Klipsch patented the classic Klipschorn® in 1945. Production began in 1946. It is still considered by many to be the finest loudspeaker ever made. It is the only speaker in the world that has been in continuous production for over 60 years! Macintosh is only 60 years old. No wonder they are such wonderful sounding components together.

Klipsch rarely gets the recognition they deserve and it's partly due to the people who never would listen to a horn speaker just because it a horn speaker.

I actually had a "High fidelity" salesman whom sold Klipsch say to me (as he cupped his hands around his mouth), "Yeah, Klipsch are great if you like the way this sounds."

He was trying to peddle some $12,000 pair of B&W's. I guess I looked like I could afford those.[^o)]

Americas oldest surviving maker of hi-fi equipment,

Klipsch makes speakers, not hi-fi equipment in the sense that I believe Sam was referring to; components such as amps, preamps, etc. Sam Tellig reviewed the LS II's prior to this quote and was well aware of the Klipsch history at that time.

IMAO, speakers most certainly qualify as "hi-fi equipment." That's easily demonstrated by hooking up $100,000 worth of the finest source, pre-amp, and amps to a pair of budget speakers.

I'm sure he was referring to the electronics such as amps, preamps, etc., but he should have been more specific.

He was trying to peddle some $12,000 pair of B&W's. I guess I looked like I could afford those.Hmm

Come on guys, lay off the B&W's. Its always the B&W's.

Anyone who makes a comment like that salesperson should not be trusted, but don't blame the speakers. B&W's get criticized for being harsh just like the Klipsch. Either set up right sound great.

Rights after catching him in another lie about a rack that I had bought from him, I had a salesperson tell me that my Rega P9 is a "toy" and that I needed to buy a Pro Ject frm him. I dn't deal with him anymore.

He was trying to peddle some $12,000 pair of B&W's. I guess I looked like I could afford those.Hmm

Come on guys, lay off the B&W's. Its always the B&W's.

Anyone who makes a comment like that salesperson should not be trusted, but don't blame the speakers. B&W's get criticized for being harsh just like the Klipsch. Either set up right sound great.

Rights after catching him in another lie about a rack that I had bought from him, I had a salesperson tell me that my Rega P9 is a "toy" and that I needed to buy a Pro Ject frm him. I dn't deal with him anymore.

I'm not nocking B&W at all, but that happened to be the speaker that he was trying to sell me. I wasn't 12K impressed, though they did sound good. But guess what they were using for a sub.....

RT-12D[:D]

What? I think BMW's sound fine, especially when running them hard through the gears! [6] [;)]

But, seriously, folks; I like B&W's too for certain applications other than HT, but this "clown-of-a-salesman" obviously hasn't heard Klipsch's own $12,000 (pair) speakers yet: The Palladium P-38F's. Professor Thump allowed us Pilgrims to listen to the complete Palladium Theater setup last Friday at Klipsch HQ and OMG! I've never in my life heard anything sound better! -Glenn