Klipschorn Transformation

Frzninvt

Back in March I went to look at some local Klipschorn's from a lead on an Craigslist ad. I spoke with the guy and met him at a warehouse of his and was mortified at what I saw. To top it all off he wanted ridiculous money for them like $2400 or more. I offered $1500 and walked away. Low and behold two weeks later they are listed on eBay with no reserve and a $1200 opening bid. I waited until the auction was just about done and dropped a bid and won them since no one in their right mind was going to bid on the ugly monsters located up here in the middle of nowhere.

When I went to pick them up the guy didn't even realize that I was the guy that came and looked at them a few weeks earlier then he said the $1200 was supposed to be EACH and that the girl that posted them for him didn't set the auction up right. Oh well!

Anyway the things had slabs of wood not only nailed all over the exterior but it glued on with Liquid Nails in many places as well. I took them to my woodworking buddy who has done my '62 Cornwalls and built my CD and HT racks over the years. Here is the before and after for anyone interested.

Now I am torn about which Cornwalls to keep the Hard Rock Maple ones that match almost perfect or my '80 Walnut Lacquer ones with cane grills.

There were over 90 nail holes that he repaired with toothpicks and larger ones with some small wood skewers. Then sanded them all down you can hardly tell even under very close inspection. They have very nice graining for birch.

Those were some seriously ugly Khorns, but they're gorgeous now!

The attached photo shows a Khorn that Forum member Shape Shifter and I went to check out locally. The seller's late father was a pediatrician who paid a carpenter to camoflauge them against a room done entirely in white.

Those were some seriously ugly Khorns, but they're gorgeous now!

The attached photo shows a Khorn that Forum member Shape Shifter and I went to check out locally. The seller's late father was a pediatrician who paid a carpenter to camoflauge them against a room done entirely in white.

That is wild looking.

How is shapeshifter haven't seen him on here in years? He sent me some great jazz cds a couple years ago.

Here's another photo of one of the white elephants. The room these were in at the father's house is not the son's basement shown in the photos. He couldn't weight to get rid of them.

The son told a story about playing loud rock music when his father was away and blowing the tweeters. To conceal his crime, the son bought two new tweeters and threw the old ones out. He nearly cried when I told him they could have been easily repaired and that non-working EV-T35/K-77s can fetch $150 each on eBay. At that point, Shape Shifter kicked me in the shin.

They looked dreadful, but sounded fine. I don't know what became off them.

Perhaps we should start "Ugliest Klipschorn" thread.

Seti, you asked: "How is shapeshifter haven't seen him on here in years? He sent me some great jazz cds a couple years ago"

I wish I knew. Shortly after we scoped out the white elephants, he told me that he and a new girlfriend were riding his Harley to a jazz festival in Detroit. Sounds like other interests occupy his time. Does anyone know his status?

Seti, you asked: "How is shapeshifter haven't seen him on here in years? He sent me some great jazz cds a couple years ago"

I wish I knew. Shortly after we scoped out the white elephants, he told me that he and a new girlfriend were riding his Harley to a jazz festival in Detroit. Sounds like other interests occupy his time. Does anyone know his status?

Ah that explains it he must be trapped under a girl. This sort of thing does happen.....