Odd signs

kelA

Have you ever seen a sign that you thought was rather odd? Well post them here. On a recent trip down to Knoxville, my girl and I was walking along a boardwalk and spotted this. Read all the fine points and you will see what I'm talking about.

post-16822-13819476615366_thumb.jpg

nd a strange business name. This is an actual Apple Orchard name in Virginia. Amy you can delete this if you see its inapropriate. But you have to admit its a funny name and you know they had to know when they picked thier last names to name it. The story is that there was the Seaman Orchard the the Flippen apple distubution company and they merged.

post-16814-13819476653452_thumb.jpg

Have you ever seen a sign that you thought was rather odd? Well post them here. On a recent trip down to Knoxville, my girl and I was walking along a boardwalk and spotted this. Read all the fine points and you will see what I'm talking about.

What a crappy park . Soo , what can you doo there ?

So no glass containers, pets or diarrhea in the fountains. Man that eliminates a lot of the fountain-visiting population.

I saw a street sign out in the country once that said "188rd Street" instead of "188th Street"

Then there's this town in Austria:

http://www.snopes.com/photos/signs/austria.asp

http://googlesightseeing.com/maps?p=1258&c=&t=m&hl=en&ll=48.067842

Which brought up some placenames in the UK:

"...which argued that there was a serious deficiency in our mapping product, due to its lack of the best-named town in all of Austria.

I was reminded of this a few minutes ago by an article I came across in the NYT, discussing the best of the worst town names in the United Kingdom:

In the scale of embarrassing place names, Crapstone ranks pretty high. But Britain is full of them. Some are mostly amusing, like Ugley, Essex; East Breast, in western Scotland; North Piddle, in Worcestershire; and Spanker Lane, in Derbyshire.

Others evoke images that may conflict with residents’ efforts to appear dignified when, for example, applying for jobs.

These include Crotch Crescent, Oxford; Titty Ho, Northamptonshire; Wetwang, East Yorkshire; Slutshole Lane, Norfolk; and Thong, Kent."

The sign is gone now but years ago, I was always ammused at a combo of signs at one traffic light. Of course, the light is red, yellow and green. For the last two colors, there was no problem but on a sign post at the intersection there were also signs posted that said:

No turns on red light (Right turns on a red light are legal in Ca. in most places)

No parking anytime

No stopping anytime

So just what were you supposed to do when the light turns red?

Highway sign in PA, halfway between Indy and NYC-

Mile Run

Two Miles

I actually drive 14 miles out of my way to get a photo of it on one of my annual NYC trips. It's on film, will try to dig it up.

My dad took a photo of a hand lettered sign in some backwoods when he was inspecting bridges. It read 'NO TRESSPING' (spelled just like that)

from Flippin, AR

My dad lived in Flippin for 13 years. My wife always loves his story about the time that a car drove off the Flippin bridge and the Flippin police and the Flippin firetrucks and the Flippin ambulance were all there blocking the Flippin road.

This National Forrest sign in & of itself is not odd - but taken in context with what my friend Randy is doing just cracked me up. When he pulled over 'cause he couldn't hold it any longer and started "going" I thought for sure he'd seen the sign - but he didn't. I was laughing so hard that I almost didn't get the shot. It still cracks me up to this day.

Tom

post-4338-13819476887682_thumb.jpg

from Flippin, AR

My dad lived in Flippin for 13 years. My wife always loves his story about the time that a car drove off the Flippin bridge and the Flippin police and the Flippin firetrucks and the Flippin ambulance were all there blocking the Flippin road.

That's hilarious.