Tom's humble garage/workshop finally finished

Tom Adams

Well....at a little over a year to complete, my garage/workshop/man-cave project is finally done. It's no where near the size of Michael Colter's, wasn't done in a few months like his and it dang sure aint' got no where near the number of Klipsch speakers his does (I got just one pair of Heresy's). However, one of my first projects - with the help of Dr. Who - will be a DIY sub that will be used for rockin' & rollin' and to hopefully drive all the bugs & roaches crazy.

This first shot is the right side with just a few cabinets in place. The cabinet to the far right that you can barely see houses my A/V equipment.

post-4338-13819476694164_thumb.jpg

This is a shot of the left side. And a huge thanks goes out to my wife for doing the checkered flag border. The other thing you can't see are the provisions on the back wall for the 37" flat screen TV that my wife secretly bought for me. FWIW, 45' of premium HDMI cable and audio cable came from Blue Jeans cable. I know they're not as cheap as Monoprice, but I've had great service from Blue Jeans.

post-4338-13819476696978_thumb.jpg

This last shot is of the flooring we decided to put down. It came from Home Depot and is a floating floor designed for garages. It's pretty tough, cleans easily and is resistant to a lot of chemicals. I looked at all sorts of floor coating/coverings and this was the best compromise for my needs. It installed very easily. 480 square feet went down in about 6 hours with the wife's assistance.

post-4338-13819476699538_thumb.jpg

Yeah, but your shop is prettier Tom. I like all the outlets and checkered motif.

And although I went from groundbreaking to doors and electrical in three months, we just got the drives and walks poured, I still need to paint the durned thing, get the last bits of stone ordered for capping the wainscott wall, and landscaping is awaiting a week of dry weather.

It takes a year, no two ways about it. If this place looks 'done' and pretty by September I'll be lucky.

Now let's get those Heresies flipped upside down if they're not already. Doc can explain. I've done the same to my KP201's that are shelf mounted.

I had a 16 foot equipment trailer in mine for load out during the Indy Fest and plan on backing the boat in there today after it's inaugural voyage of the season.

Michael

WOW Tom that looks awesome. Looks like you thought ahead and put tons of outlets in, that was smart. Are you parking cars in there too or just your scooter?

Steve

Thanks Steve. Nope - no cars, just my motorcycle and my small woodworking tools for now. I've got a motorcycle lift from Harbor Freight coming and plan to maybe do a motorcycle restoration next year. Not sure what that will be, but I've got my eye on a couple of different British bikes (yeah - I'm a glutten for punishment).

I'd like to fertilize this guy I have: http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=159362-46578-C10FR&lpage=none

So it will grow up to be something like this: http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=159362-46578-C10FR&lpage=none

As for the outlets, it's kinda over-kill - especially the ones up top. Those came about after a conversation with the wife when she said that I needed outlets up high so when she buys me some cool neon signs, I'll have convenient outlets to plug into. Gotta love the way she thinks. Either that or she wants to make this place reeeeeeal comfortable so I'll stay outta her hair! [:$]

Tom

Looks great! I can't wait to see what kind of sub you and the Dr. come up with. Horn loaded no doubt.

That square hole you see in the ceiling is the manifold opening! Just kidding - that's the attic access. LOL.........

Thanks for the compliment. Dr. Who & I have been chatting and we've settled on amplification (Crown XTi 1000), but haven't gotten specific about driver(s) or enclosure. I'm not limited to size, but would prefer to not move the thing once in place. I've got this crazy idea of making the enclosure look like a refrigerator so it will "blend in" to the decor. Not sure I can pull it off though.

Tom

Yeah, but your shop is prettier Tom. I like all the outlets and checkered motif.

And although I went from groundbreaking to doors and electrical in three months, we just got the drives and walks poured, I still need to paint the durned thing, get the last bits of stone ordered for capping the wainscott wall, and landscaping is awaiting a week of dry weather.

It takes a year, no two ways about it. If this place looks 'done' and pretty by September I'll be lucky.

Now let's get those Heresies flipped upside down if they're not already. Doc can explain. I've done the same to my KP201's that are shelf mounted.

I had a 16 foot equipment trailer in mine for load out during the Indy Fest and plan on backing the boat in there today after it's inaugural voyage of the season.

Michael

That's a very nice compliment - thanks Michael. Having to do as much of the work as I could to save some $$$$, plus working on it when time/weather permitted, plus trying to pay for it as I went, was the big factors in it taking so long. And as much as I hate to admit it, there were some weekends I just said "SCREW IT! I'm going riding." LOL....... But yeah, it can take longer than planned sometimes. What I found was that it was all the little detail stuff like caulking and trim and painting and touching up. Crap - I bet I spent 3 hours just trying to figure out the best layout for the cabinets!!

All the lower outlets are 20amp and there's (3) circuits - right wall, left wall, back wall. All the upper outlets are 15amp. The big honking outlets on back wall are 30amp 220V for future big mo' air compressor or whatever. I've got (2) 20amp 110V and (1) 30amp 220 stub-ups outside for whatever backyard project the wife throws at me. Hmmmmm.........outdoor theater has a nice ring to it donchathink??? All told, I've got a 200amp service to the building mostly 'cause it wasn't any more expensive than 120 or 150 amp.

And yes, the Heresy's have been "flipped" to get that woofer closer to the upper corners (know that trick already - I just look stoopid. hee, hee). Surprisingly, they put out a decent amount of bass, but all that volume - especially when the garage door is open - really sucks the bottom end out of them. I'll rememdy that with my Dr. Who aided sub. Good thing the closest neighbor is .25 miles away!

Tom

Very nice, very clean. NICELY finished!

Mine is not quite as good looking, not by a long shot but I DO have enough room to swing a dead cat though[:P]

This is looking in from the front main door.

If you look closely, you will see a pair of H1s on the balcony. They, with the help of a pair of JBL 4311s fill the shop with great sound (yes they really do!) driven at the moment by a Marantz 70s era receiver.

EDIT, after looking closer, those are the JBLs you can see and the H1s sit on the top shelf now in addition to the JBLs on the center shelf. Yes they really do fill all 52,500 cubic feet of the shop, quite nicely I might add!

post-14862-13819476815112_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Great looking workshop I like the colors and the fancy stripe around the room. You need to take a few more pictures and just hold on to them, It will never look this way again, no matter how much you try "stuff" will get in there and take up your neat and organized space.

Very nice work, it makes no difference how long it took you did it right.

In truth, there are 3 anvils in there, you can only see the small one!

Tom's garage wins the looks HANDS DOWN! A very nice job of finish work for sure, I can just see him kicking back, watching something on the plasma (ya know one is goin in there!) with a few buddys, sharing a nice afternoon.

My shop on the other hand, well you need to watch where you are sitting as you might get dirty but it is home to me in my own special way.

Electrically in my shop, we put dual duplex outlets every 8 feet (four sockets) but wired them with 12-3 wire so each box has TWO x 20 amp circuits available anywhere in the shop side. I keep tools on the left and audio gear on the right. I put them at 4' from the floor so they're not buried by workbenches and stuff. Don't even have to bend down to plug in gear.

We also put an extra outlet by the main box for compressor, and there's another circuit on the garage/storage side. Lighting ison separate circuits also.

I think I'll go install my 220V A/C unit tonight, it's been in the 90's here. I arranged a 'window' opening high up above the workbench so the cold air will disperse and then fall in my work area.

I'm only 19 k ft3, so the village smithee has me beat two fold with his aircraft hanger.

No real decor here yet, unless you include old gas station signs and some enlarged Klipsch brochures hung around the room.

M