Curious Young Buck

tuned4life

Looks like the same stupid buck that lives in my back yard, eating all our hostas and shrubs. Not scared of me either, he figures I'm old and slow. We've been coming across some deer ticks which is my major concern, not wanting to come down with Lyme's disease. Not much I can do about the deer on my property, 4 and 6 foot fences are no problem for them. We bought a product called "Liquid Fence" which is supposed to stop them from eating your plants, it is perhaps the single most revolting smell, I have come across, I puked the first time I used it. One day I expect to find them in the chaise lounges with a pina colada, although that wouold be tough without an opposable thumb.

We've got lots of deer in the suburbs around here. The does are a bit timid, but some of the bucks don't care if you mow the lawn around them. After living in Eastern Canada for so many years and never seeing a deer, I still think it's really cool to see them, plus I don't have a garden.

Rats with antlers indeed. I lost a good friend last year to a deer that ran into the side of his Harley. Three bikers killed in 1 week around here last fall. Keeps me from buying one. I have hunted the critters for all of my adult life. One of the most adaptable animals on the planet- next to the coyote. If folks knew how good they taste when properly cooked- they would be an endangered species. A friend of ours got a totalled car leaving my house- hitting one- in the middle of Charlotte. You cant even put pansies out around here- they will find them and eat them up in a single night. A few years back- we lived on venison and did not buy beef and pork for like 3 years. I still have an 1800 acre deer lease but I dont care to shoot anything unless it is obviously a big mature doe or a wall hanger buck. Now the DNR biologist is on our @ss to kill them out or lose our doe tags. Overpopulation. Worried about blue tounge- deer disease. I have just enjoyed watching them for the last 2 years. This year will be different.

The little guy in that pic ain't stupid. He knows that nobody is going to bother him. Otherwise he would be in the next county. They are incredibly intellegent.

I still have an 1800 acre deer lease but I dont care to shoot anything

Sounds like I should come visit you in the fall.

I shoot a couple of Caribou a few years ago, that was some fine eating!