First time in a Klipsch theater $8.50

Brac

So, been thinking of taking an hours drive to flagship cinema, waterville Maine. Today I went and saw Transformers ROTF, suffice it to say, I considered asking for my money back. (not because of the movie) The sound was so lacking as to be anemic, there was a total lack of any low freq. sound, seemed like nothing below about 60 hz. It was'nt an issue of volume all though it was very low, the sound was just not there. I have 100times the LF in my living room with forte II's and no sub.

That what I get for not just waiting to watch in a real theater, MY OWN!

With respect to the levels around 100hz, 40hz is 10dB down, and 30hz is 20dB down (fig.6).

http://www.google.com/patents?id=-2s2AAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract&zoom=4

Keep in mind that around 30hz~40hz with the levels around 90dB (moderate levels in a theater), 3dB is percieved as half (or double) the volume. With some program material this might be percieved as no real bass.

Yes my last IMAX experiences were comfortable seats and great visuals, but with JBL sound horribly lacking in realism. Overall too loud, distorted, terrible surround speakers. Just doesn't hold a candle to a REAL KLIPSCH PRO cinema or mine at home.

Yes my last IMAX experiences were comfortable seats and great visuals, but with JBL sound horribly lacking in realism. Overall too loud, distorted, terrible surround speakers

My experience as well. [:(]

There's a Klipsch theatre that I've been wanting to check out about 40 minutes away.

SWL...small world...my parents have a place in Twin Lakes...I get up there several times a year...never thought I would see anyone from the boards living there. We may be neighbors some day in the future haha.

That's cool......give me a shout next time you're in the area. I'm always interested in another members opinion on how my systems sound in comparison to their own. Where do you live?

There's a Klipsch cinema in Lake Zurich, IL. Regal Cinema I think it's called.......been wanting to check it out for some time now. The IMAX theatre I was at was in (I think) Lincolnshire, IL. The bass sounded pretty good but everything else sounded maxed out. Very un-impressive.

I live down in Bloomington in central IL. My parent's have a place in Northbrook (I think I know exactly the IMAX you are talking about...I think it is the one on the corner of 12 and Aptakistic (sp?) Their place in twin lakes is on the NW shore of Lake Elizabeth. I'll give ya a holler next time I am in the neighborhood and have some free time.

With respect to the levels around 100hz, 40hz is 10dB down, and 30hz is 20dB down (fig.6).

I believe that was measured in 1/2 space.

The 884 is 10dB down at 18Hz...
http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/kpt-884-specifications/
The port is tuned to 18Hz too so you can boost the bottom end if you wanted (until the port overloads).

With the depth of most modern theaters, I'd wager the 884 is being used on the bottom...not the MWM.

Current theater design (read as you can't sell seats behind the screen) usually doesn't allow for the 45-inch depth of the MWM and its ilk. The 23-inch depth of the 884 allows for plenty of bass in a smaller footprint.

As for bottom end performance, when I was sitting in on the voicing of a Malco theater here in NW Arkansas, the response of the multiple 884s was flat to 30 Hz and during a test screening of Transformers (digital DLP projection), peak levels in the 20-40Hz octave easily hit 130 dB halfway back in the house. According to the theater owner, the audio level was 4-6dB below the normal cinema levels!

Lee

"I believe that was measured in 1/2 space."

Which is the way they are used in a theater.

"With the depth of most modern theaters, I'd wager the 884 is being used on the bottom...not the MWM."

I would hope so.

"The port is tuned to 18Hz too "

The spec sheet you linked to says 23hz, it's 10dB down at 18hz.

This is why I no longer go to the theatres, I use to think it was fun but now with the advent of Hi Def and getting into audio my system is easily 10x better in every aspect than any theatre I've been to locally. I've tried to locate a klipsch theatre but the locator never works for me.

if someone woulod be willing to check the locator for me I would appreciate it. my zip is 68147 Bellevue NE.

If there's anyone locally you can come by my house have a beer or 2 and have a listen.

After thinking about this for a few days, I called the manager at the theater. She was gonna check with someone and see if they were having sound problems. She called me back but I was in a meeting and could'nt take the call. She will call me tomorrow.

Some of the disappointment might be understandable just based on the volume (cubic feet) of the venues.

Suppose you have a couple of CWs in a living room. The bass driver area is about equal to an 18 inch sub. At least some theaters only have one or two 18 inch subs. Yet the total volume of the theater is 100 times that of a living room. Just rough numbers.

We've got it good at home.

Wm McD

3dB is percieved as half (or double) the volume. With some program material this might be percieved as no real bass.

I did not know that. I am aware that it takes twice the amplifier power to increase the volume by 3 db but thought it took 10 db or more to be perceived as twice as loud.

Yeah, the bass would kind of disappear audio wise if it sounded half as loud. Sounds like the theater has some serious issues.

(edit) or is it at 30 - 40 hz 3 db down sounds half as loud? But more decibels at higher frequencies for halving / doubling the perceived volume? Isn't that the Fletcher-Munson research as the fog clears, but only a little...