3.1? is it possible?

InVeNtOr

PWK's original Master System consisted of 2 Khorns with a Cornwall centre, with a blended L+R signal going to the centre. There's been some discussion about this and what kind of control box should be used for the best blending. It should sound better than 2-channel stereo, but it won't be surround sound.

i was wondering if you can have a 3.1 set up? i know if you have a 5 or 7 you hook up only 3 speakers but you would loose the side effects. i am curious if you could just have 3 speakers but have all the sound effects up front.

To have the surround effects come out of your L and R ft speakers, you would have to have a way to combine the surround channels with your LF and RF channels. You would most likely have to do it in the analog realm. Possibly use two 2 into 1 RCA's to combine the outputs and then feed the summed signal to an outboard amp and then to the speakers.

I was thinking the AVR routes any rear effects to the front speakers when rear speakers are not present. Am I incorrect in this?

I suppose it's possible, but would be receiver dependant. You'd have to check your owners manual to see if it has that feature. I'm sure it could be done in the receiver if the manufacturers firmware sets the receiver up to have that feature as an option. I've never looked for that option however.

PWK's original Master System consisted of 2 Khorns with a Cornwall centre, with a blended L+R signal going to the centre.

I heard that it was a Heresy center, or at least they marketed some that way in the late 50's or early 60's. In fact, pretty sure I read somewhere that this is the origin of the Heresy line, that they then started making them in pairs. I know someone who purchased what was claimed to be an original center channel Heresy, including the wiring diagram of how to set it up with only a 2 channel amp. Cane grill and the whole bit.

PWK's original Master System consisted of 2 Khorns with a Cornwall centre, with a blended L+R signal going to the centre.

I heard that it was a Heresy center, or at least they marketed some that way in the late 50's or early 60's. In fact, pretty sure I read somewhere that this is the origin of the Heresy line, that they then started making them in pairs. I know someone who purchased what was claimed to be an original center channel Heresy, including the wiring diagram of how to set it up with only a 2 channel amp. Cane grill and the whole bit.

You're right, the Heresy was the world's first centre speaker, and it originally came in centre or main models, with two different crossover setups, and possibly some other differences. However, as I understand it, PWK started to feel that more output was needed to keep up with the Khorns, so he started using the Cornwall as a centre, with both horizontal and vertical configurations available.

I'm not sure whether the original setup with the Heresy centre was called the Master System, or if that name was first used with the Khorn-Cornwall-Khorn set.

Heresies still make a great centre speaker. I'm using a Heresy III as a centre in my system.

in HT receivers, if you turn those channels off (not just disconnect the speakers) it SHOULD reroute the signal to the front main L/R's. Should work, someone try it with a really discrete recording or movie and tell me how it works out.

M

Of course that's the way it works. I don't have a center speaker but that doesn't mean I don't hear any of the information that's from the center speaker mix. My receiver knows I don't have one because its turned off in the system menu so it routes the center info to both L and R front mains. Same is true if you don't have surround speakers.

Nothing fancy needed, just turn any surround speakers off in your system menu and you'll be fine.

In my other than Home Theater area I am currently running an Outlaw 1050 HT Receiver (older model) with KG 5.5s set to large and no other speakers...sounds nice and those KGs get down pretty low (I miss the sub but the Home Theater area is for that)...I will add a Center as soon as I buy the wall mount for the TV...

Before the Outlaw 1050 I ran those KG 5.5s with a 2 channel Nakamichi TA-2A STASIS Tuner/Amp...sounded nicer than ANY television speakers...

Bill

Sure it's possible, I have a 3.1 SetUp. My wife doesn't like surrounds, so what are ya gonna do? She doesn't like the sub either, but I snuck that in on her. I have an RC-62, FR-82s and an RW-12d. My Dennon knows that I don't have side or back speakers, so it sends those signals to the two fronts. I verified this with test signals.