Fish chowder

greg928gts

I just made a huge fish chowder and I thought I'd share my recipe.

Greg’s Fish Chowder

3 lbs. haddock filet – previously frozen is fine and it’s cheaper ($5 per pound)

3 lbs. potatoes

3 – 4 stalks of celery

1 large onion

5 strips of thick cut bacon

2 - 10oz. cans of condensed cream of potato soup

1 quart light cream

48oz. chicken stock

1 stick butter

Freshly ground pepper

Oyster crackers

Dice potatoes and boil them in the chicken stock in a very large pot for 10 minutes or so, until about half cooked, then turn the heat down to simmer

Dice celery and onion and set aside

Fry the bacon strips until extra crispy and reserve the fat in the frying pan

Sautee onion in the bacon fat for a few minutes

Chop bacon into fine pieces

To the simmering pot, add bacon bits, onion, celery, and turn heat off to cool slightly

Add the quart of light cream and the cream of potato soup and turn the heat back up to get a good bubbling simmer – mix well

Cube the fish (3/4” – 1” pieces, and some big chunks are good) and add to the simmering pot and continue to simmer for 10 – 15 minutes until fish is cooked through

Add the stick of butter while the fish is cooking and add a generous amount of freshly ground black pepper and gently stir

The need for salt will depend on personal taste and/or what type of chicken stock was used

It may be necessary to add a little milk to “loosen” the soup up a little

Don’t forget the oyster crackers!

Makes a lot! Invite friends.

• Moderators

Never had fish chowder before but looking at the ingredients I would like it, I have tried claim chowder before and it was ok, could use a little spice, but everything can imo.

I seen something on TV the other day saying lobsters were cheap right now, they are never cheap unless you live where you do, I always said one day i want to boil some like crawfish, spicy. [Y]

Funny thing- A couple of times recently I have seen Large Lobster tails in the market for like 5 bucks which is really dirt cheap. People were grabbing them up. I love lobster but rarely eat it because of the $$$$$$. Lately I have been keping an eye out for it

I am the designated wine buyer for 10-15 of my friends and business contacts. I have several wholesalers who will call me when they have excess. We run the sale thru a resturant so its legal.I pay cash so the dist does not have to wait on payment. Been doing this since 2004. Never have I seen prices drop like this. I have seen discounts from 30-70%. The wine market is getting clobbered by this recession as well.

There is a popular dish in SC made with catfish that looks similar to yours.delicious.You will see it for sale around the Santee Cooper area.