So my wife found a guy in our garage today

wuzzzer

No kidding. I do always lock our house, even if I'm outside doing yardwork or anything else. Our entrance door is on the side of the house and you can't see it from the back yard. Unless you're on that side of the house.

I do the same thing!!

Some people think a crimal would not enter your house while you are in the yard but what some people don't understand is criminals don't follow our rules.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I certainly agree that home security including the dog is a very good idea. There are plenty of bad people out there.

OTOH, I had some experience defending cases in what I'll call the several misdemeanor courts in Chicago in the late '70's. Once was the morning call at the courtroom for the lock up at 9th and State. The morning court call was all the intoxicated homeless who got taken in overnight by the cops. The police just write a number on the guy's hand and put him in the drunk tank.

In the morning the fellows get a sandwich and taken to the courtroom as a group. They get a warning and are put back on the street. Many are mentally ill. You may have seen a scene from Lower Wacker drive in a Batman movie with the bums. It is like that and worse.

My thought is that the guy has a long sheet and is sleeping it off in a garage because he has never done anything bad enough to put him in jail for any length of time.

There are organizations in Chicago which try to help these poor souls. Most of them don't get with the program. it is, I believe, mental illness at the root. They are probably harmless.

Again, there are bad people out there. A good friend in the New York area had her home broken into in her absence. It was chalked up to druggie kids looking for money. Lord knows what would have happened if she had walked in on them.

A young lady was raped in the next yard of the home I grew up on Long Island. Guy with a knife and she had a hand wound from fighting him off.

A guy mugged my father in Brooklyn.

I was hit on head in Lincoln Park years ago and ran away. Now there have been a string of muggings in Lincoln Park a few blocks away from me -- all at 4 a.m.

Oh yeah, a guy going into the El at 4 a.m. got his wallet ripped off by a transvestite the other week. Transvestite was caught.

You can't assume that anyone is just a drunk passed out and harmless. But in urban areas, there are plenty.

Wm McD

You can't assume that anyone is just a drunk passed out and harmless. But in urban areas, there are plenty.

Wm McD

very true. my dad was a cop out here in southern california. while on patrol, he sees a guy laying on the dirt shoulder of the road. he obviously stops, knowing that if the guy is alive, he needs some sort of help. as he walks up to the guy (laying face down), the guy pops up holding a 2"x4" and hits my dad square in the mouth and knocks out nearly all of his teeth. I was a kid at the time and all i can remember is Dad saying that the guy was lucky that my dad had a partner on patrol with him that night. Sadly, dad passed away when i was 18 so i never got to ask him if they took the "long" way back to the jail that night [;)]

Dad had a heart attack at age 44 and died at 45. State compensation doctors had the audacity to say that being a police officer was not a "high-stress" occupation. Mom had a battle with them regarding his pension; but, eventually won.

There are organizations in Chicago which try to help these poor souls. Most of them don't get with the program. it is, I believe, mental illness at the root. They are probably harmless.

I live downtown and see lots of street people. There are far more here in the coastal West than back in Ontario, because they won't freeze to death in the winter. In Toronto, a few frozen street people are found every winter.

Most seem to have mental health issues, so they're mostly unemployable and therefore poor. The street dealers turn them onto drugs, then they have mental, financial and addiction issues. Some stay drug-free, but they're still living on the street. It's not surprising that some become desperate.

Some housing has been provided, but really helping would call for a big financial commitment from the government when money for schools and hospitals is already tight. Even if money were available, there's no one solution to help every street person, so it's not easy to solve the problem.

They get a warning and are put back on the street. Many are mentally ill. You may have seen a scene from Lower Wacker drive in a Batman movie with the bums. It is like that and worse.

My thought is that the guy has a long sheet and is sleeping it off in a garage because he has never done anything bad enough to put him in jail for any length of time.

You can thank our useless ex-governor Big Jim Thompson for the vast majority of this problem.

It's a widespread problem. When the new anti-psychotic drugs came out, in the 1970s I think, governments around the world decided that mentally ill people could medicate themselves and would no longer need to be kept in mental institutions. For the first few years, the former patients tended to live in rooming houses near the institutions, so they could easily get their meds, but over time more and more of them wound up living on the street.

It's become very clear that mentally disturbed folks are not organized enough to medicate themselves and need more care than they're getting, but once the money left the institutional programs and went to other programs, it never came back. Since goverment budgets almost never have a surplus, re-opening or expanding mental hospitals would mean shutting down programs that are more popular with the voters, so it would be a tough sell.

Ironically, it would be less expensive to re-house those who need it, because they tend to come in frequent contact with police and the rest of the justice system, as well as needing hospital treatment, often on an emergency basis. That's expensive and diverts police from dealing with actual criminals and keeps emergency rooms busy with problems that arise because of living on the street.

However, those costs are mostly carried carried by municipal governments, leaving provincial/state and federal governments off the hook.

Helping the helpless is the right thing to do, but it will take pressure from the voters to persuade the governments to start taking proper care of these unfortunates. Meanwhile, they eat and sleep where they can, while the larger society seems to wish they would all just disappear.