Stereo Vs. Mono-A Battle Breaks Out over Beatlemania

thebes

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Back on topic thebes. The early original monos are collectible so the current marketeers play into that by creating a new mono collectible. It's simple baby boomer crass. People who want to listen will more than likely get the stereo version. Mono on a cd?

Nope. Stereo and mono mixes were very different (the mono is not just the sum of left+right channels ). More people who really want to listen will get the mono cds. Same with the old mono lps. They sound better (and different). How much better (or better at all) is a personal opinion. I really like what I've heard so far.

I happen to own most of the original LPs in both stereo and mono and all the MOFI LPs. The stereo Rubber Soul LP was originally issued pure right and left. I also have some Japanese pressings from the 80s and 90s. I think it's a toss-up between the MOFIs and the other Japanese versions. Abbey Road in particular sounds great on both. The Beatles Love Songs LP took some of the early songs that were pure left-right and remixed to give some soundstage. Norweigen Woods comes to mind. Although not the best pressing, it's nice to hear a version with some center vocals.

I look forward to reviews of the LP reissues. I don't think I'll spend the money although I could probably sell my UHQR copy of Sgt Pepper to fund both the stereo and mono versions. If I had to choose, I'd definitely pick the stereo version. Old Blue Notes sound better in mono but The Beatles are a different animal.

Has there been an announcement that the remasters are going to be available on vinyl? Havent seen that but it certainly would make sense. I got my stereo CD set yesterday and it is wonderful. Only listened to a few cuts on each of the disks though Sgt Peppers. As I said they sound great but truth be known a little unnerving. Unnerving in that the songs are so familiar and they still are but there are subtle and noticeable differences that make the familiar a little jarring if that make sense.

Josh

I just love this sentence:

"Remastering" means, in this case, using current technology to
finalize the recordings so that they sound optimal for modern ears.)

Wonder where I get me some of them thar "modern" ears all the youngins are a talkin about. Mebee Professor Thump can fix me up with a pair.

The sad thing is the two guys who wrote these articles are the music reviewers for one of the most prestigious newspapers on the planet. I get the feeling, though, that they own nothing better than an Ipod and a Bose radio. Makes you wonder if they have ever really heard any music outside of a concert hall, bar or club with less than a six-pack in them.

Ya know, come to think of it. When's the last time you read a music review, not a gear review, that actually mentioned recording quality, mastering, whatever. They will talk to death about the lyrics, history of the player/band etc. who they sound like, but nothing, never, anything about weather the damn thing sounds any good at all.

OT, ferget the Stones, they had six great songs and one good album, and all they ever knew was repetition, repetition, repetition.

All you Beatles fans can be a Walrus, but me I'll be happy standing in the middle of Tobacco Road.

I just love this sentence:

"Remastering" means, in this case, using current technology to
finalize the recordings so that they sound optimal for modern ears.)

Wonder where I get me some of them thar "modern" ears all the youngins are a talkin about. Mebee Professor Thump can fix me up with a pair.

The sad thing is the two guys who wrote these articles are the music reviewers for one of the most prestigious newspapers on the planet. I get the feeling, though, that they own nothing better than an Ipod and a Bose radio. Makes you wonder if they have ever really heard any music outside of a concert hall, bar or club with less than a six-pack in them.

Ya know, come to think of it. When's the last time you read a music review, not a gear review, that actually mentioned recording quality, mastering, whatever. They will talk to death about the lyrics, history of the player/band etc. who they sound like, but nothing, never, anything about weather the *** thing sounds any good at all.

OT, ferget the Stones, they had six great songs and one good album, and all they ever knew was repetition, repetition, repetition.

All you Beatles fans can be a Walrus, but me I'll be happy standing in the middle of Tobacco Road.

wow thats deep....

OK Thebes. You asked for it. Which is the one good stones album?

No rock band can even approach the jazz masters of their same day, so we won't go there.

This is good its like the old school version of arguments my buddys and I have but with older bands. I have mixed emotions on the subject I guess I dont care about the recording or if its pop or not, just if it makes me move...wait this could be complicated..cause I also am about meaning, storys, etc.....

I bought the individual stereo remasters that were originally released in stereo yesterday. I may buy the mono set a little later. They do sound great. I would have liked hdcd or sacd versions.

I hope they master the vinyl directly from the analogue tapes rather than from the digital remasters.

If only I had some brains when I was young. My much older brother had all the first run german pressings that he got when my dad was stationed in Germany. He would play them once to record them to reel to reel and store them. In my early teens while he was away at college, I got a hold of the lps and ruined every one with my first turntable which had a really old bad ceramic stylus mounted in an old mono cabinet hifi. Sad.

My brother was cool rather than killing me he took me out and i spent my paper route money on my first real stereo. Technics turntable, receiver, and bose 501 speakers. End of ramble.