Pretty cables for the working man..

Thaddeus Smith

I've enjoyed making some cables for my stuff and find it very therapeutic and sort of a creative outlet. My first batches were eyesores, but after some time with the materials I'm starting to end up with some nice results. The problem is that I've run out of devices to make cables for..

so I'm starting to consider whoring myself out to the masses to make cables for you, at the cost of materials and shipping. I'm not interested in starting a holy war for sonic qualities or perceived differences. I'd simply like to offer cables that of an aesthetically pleasing nature that are more expensive than bulk lamp cord and less expensive than monster. monoprice is king, but even their cables are pretty bland.

so a) is there interest/market for this ..B) what's the pain point on cost ..c) what else should I be thinking of? I'd probably go with high quality copper or some silver plated ohfc, but nothing exotic beyond that. speaker cables and interconnects would be my primary focus and would offer standard terminations. i also plan on having standard offerings, with the option of custom materials on request. review samples would be sent out prior to taking orders to generate some design feedback and credibility

feedback, please ..i don't want to drop $ $ on bulk materials without having any way to recoup costs.

good luck to you. i tried a simular offer and got almost no responces. i was going to make some real nice power cables, 95% braided shield, twisted (12 twists per foot), Oyaide connectors, all for around $60 including paypal and shipping. i think i had one guy who actually wanted 2 cables but that was it. to me it seems most people here don't care or don't believe that you can actually imporve your set up with some good wire and cables. it's a real shame in my opinion, i have actually brought people over and did blind tests. so far my cables have won hands down (that is over stock) but the point is, the different connectos have actually changed the sound, which is what they didn't think was possible. i think if there is a cable everyone should buy is the one i did for my tv. it's 100% shielded, and combined with my furman, you can see a night and day difference.

anyways, good luck.

"so I'm starting to consider whoring myself out to the masses to make cables for you, at the cost of materials and shipping. I'm not interested in starting a holy war for sonic qualities or perceived differences. I'd simply like to offer cables that of an aesthetically pleasing nature that are more expensive than bulk lamp cord and less expensive than monster. monoprice is king, but even their cables are pretty bland."

Well said, and in a funny, if but pleasantly sarcastic way!!! LOL

BTW: You will have a PM in a minute or two....

Might be interested someday. I'm not sold on exotic cables but always thought it'd be cool to make some really cool looking cables. Of course there's the rub .. I've always thought of cable upgrades for me to be more of a DIY thing to do someday... but if the cost was reasonable and I had money to burn, which I don't right now....

... but if the cost was reasonable and I had money to burn, which I don't right now....

man, that's the WHOLE country right now! that's the reason i don't invest in the supplys in hopes i break even! lol

i am considering making some tv and power cables soon. i've looked at the cost of it recently and it wasn't much. now to make them "pretty", i don't know mine have regular black teleflex over them. i would call that boring, but works great....lol

Personally, I don't believe in enhanced power cords, and monoprice speaker wire is fine by me. What monoprices lacks are decent RCA cables. Their premium $2 cables lack a bit of build quality. I wish they had a $5 to $10 version, but I wouldn't buy a $25 to $50 version (which is why I don't buy Blue Jeans Cables).

I'm going to give it a go and plan on sending out some review samples during the month of November. Send me a PM if you'd like to review one of the samples ..my expectation is that you will pay for shipping costs (less than $10), not resell the cables (they are free for you to keep or pass on to someone else), and provide some honest feedback/reviews here on the forum.

The following will be made available:

Pair of 1m interconnects - Groomlakearea51

Pair of 6ft speaker wire + choice of termination - USNRET

Single 1m RCA to Mini stereo jack - jamesV

Single 10ft headphone extension + choice of termination - jamesV

Still finalizing pricing and components, but they will be similar in materials to bluejeans at about 1/3rd the price.

Do you have any naked lady cables? Would be good for the bachelor that has everything.

i'm just enough of a smartass to try and figure out how to make this possible :P

You could do it the way they make those pens where you turn them upside down to get the girl naked. Using this instead of arrows for the correct direction of the cable. If the girl is naked it's correct if she's not the cable is not connected in the right direction. [:P]

You could do it the way they make those pens where you turn them upside down to get the girl naked. Using this instead of arrows for the correct direction of the cable. If the girl is naked it's correct if she's not the cable is not connected in the right direction. Stick out tongue

It is a good thing you didn't say "inserted correctly" or people could have drawn some pretty, well, ....... not the right idea?[6]

Do you have any naked lady cables? Would be good for the bachelor that has everything.

i'm just enough of a smartass to try and figure out how to make this possible :P

Would both ends be female?

Well "bi-wires" can be fun if the couplers are both female, however the ones with the male connectors are just plain scary! [:|]