Am I nuts? RF-63 vs RF-7

Ouachita

I found a pristine set of RF-7s and purchased them - been comparing them with my RF-63s. I drive them with a Denon 2808 AVR home theater receiver.

These things are brutal - full force frontal attack. I'm not sure where the comments about the RF-7s needing tons of power because of the 2.8 ohm dip because these things will wake the dead. I'm talking pounding your chest - ear bleeding attacks. While they are night and day different than the RF-63 - I'm not sure I am going to be able to live with them - just too fatiguing of a sound.

Am I stupid? The RF-7s have much more cone area and larger box enclosure than the 63's - but the 63's just have a sweeter sound. An A/B test I'm sure 99% of people would pick the 7s - last night I went to bed my ears were ringing.

Picture attached.

post-39635-13819512496404_thumb.jpg

very funny write up.. lol

the pic you shown is a great comparison and the pic alone should be the answer. but we are all built differently and you need your ears to be the judge. if the 63's are a nicer sounding speaker to you then that is what you should get.

i am very biased though i totally love the 7 series and think the rf7 is the meanest looking speaker i have ever seen. i have always believed that even not connected the rf7 demands respect.

i have rc7 and have never found it bright, its connected to rotel rmb1075 power amp and listen at -35 to -20db normally. so i dont really listen at ear bleeding levels.

love your write up and great pic.

I've had two Denon receivers (3805 and 2802) with RF-7's and found them to not match up well. A seperate amp certainly helped but couldn't completely get rid of the shrill, stale sound that for me was ok for movies but blew for music. Just too fatiguing. YMMV.

• Moderators

The RF-7s have much more cone area and larger box enclosure than the 63's - but the 63's just have a sweeter sound.

That's the general idea I got just from reading a bunch of comparisons from different people over time.

OK I hooked the 7s back up - dang - gonna have to leave those hooked up for a while - mercy.

Not to let this take away from the 63s - because they are one fine set of musical instruments - but the 7s just have that slammin Klipsch sound we all love.

Plus the 7s match my RC-7 center and RS-7 surrounds.

So - the 63s are off to the Garage Sale forum.

I found a pristine set of RF-7s and purchased them - been comparing them with my RF-63s. I drive them with a Denon 2808 AVR home theater receiver.

These things are brutal - full force frontal attack. I'm not sure where the comments about the RF-7s needing tons of power because of the 2.8 ohm dip because these things will wake the dead. I'm talking pounding your chest - ear bleeding attacks.

You may not need a lot of power to get them loud, but having a good amp behind the RF-7s certainly does help. I was driving mine with a Denon AVR 3802, which I thought sounded really good, but I've since gottan a B&K Reference 200.7 amp. The detail and clarity was just unbelievable with the B&K. I thought the sound was so much cleaner and, shall we say, sweeter? I personally don't find the RF-7s fatiquing at all. I typically have my volume around -25 to -20 for listening to music, both from the CD and the music server. Certainly loud enough to rock out, but no so loud that I fell like I am blowing my ears out.

My 7's wore me out the first couple of weeks, but I think that was just me getting adjusted to the clarity of the highs. Now, I'm searching for more of the same, and I would suggest just listneing for a while and you will like what you like and what ever you decide will be right for you.

We have the RF-7s along with the RC-7 and RS-7s. I do find them a bit too bright sometimes with both movies and music. However, some movies and music sound great. You state that the RF-63 have a sweeter sound. How much sweeter is it? Night and day difference? You also state you found the RF-7 fatiguing. Do you ever find the RF-63 fatiguing?

You may not need a lot of power to get them loud, but having a good amp behind the RF-7s certainly does help. I was driving mine with a Denon AVR 3802, which I thought sounded really good, but I've since gottan a B&K Reference 200.7 amp. The detail and clarity was just unbelievable with the B&K. I thought the sound was so much cleaner and, shall we say, sweeter? I personally don't find the RF-7s fatiquing at all. I typically have my volume around -25 to -20 for listening to music, both from the CD and the music server. Certainly loud enough to rock out, but no so loud that I fell like I am blowing my ears out.

I absolutely agree, though I don't have RF7's but the same problems were apparent with my RF5's. If you want to get the best out of your speakers feed them a good healthy diet of WATTS, and quality. I no longer entertain listening to music with ANY H/T receiver. The difference since going with a strictly 2 channel, high power, quality set-up is a night and day difference. Every time I see a post like this I wish i could invite the forum member over to take a listen. I really can't believe I listened to my speakers for 5 years before going this way.

If you are listening to music loud enough so that your ears ring when going to sleep, than yes, you are nuts.

A lot of folks here debate the nuances of tubes, solid state, cables etc. etc - and then go on to destroy their hearing. - That is really nuts!

True..just cos' you have the watts don't mean you have to use em. it seems to me just having plenty in reserve is the key.

So what setup do you recommend? Is it OK to use my Denon as a preamp?

If so - what amp do you recommend that will give me the most bang for the buck?

My recommendation may not be the flavor that you like..you have to find something that works for you. If you don't like the sound you are currently getting from your Denon it would seem unlikely you will find it satisfying just by adding power. Personaly I have not heard a Denon H/T receiver that has turned me on, but again that is just my taste, others here swear by them. FYI, I use Harman Kardon for H/T, and Luxman for my 2 channel with a healthy real world 120 watts per.

So what setup do you recommend? Is it OK to use my Denon as a preamp?

If so - what amp do you recommend that will give me the most bang for the buck?

Actually, I am still using my trusty'ol Denon AVR3802 as a pre-amp, which I am finding, really works very nice as a pre-amp. So, yes, you could use the Denon as a pre-amp.

As far as amp recommendations? That is a tough one. As you can guess, I am quite partial to B&K (they do make a two-channel version of the Reference 200 (the Reference 200.2), but at around $1,500 or, it is not a cheap alternative.

There seems to be a lot of good talk about the Emotive amps on here. Seems Outlaw also makes a very nice amp, as well as Rotel.

I will go out on a limb here and recommend something. One of this type/line from this manufacturer.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Harman-Kardon-HK-560-Stereo-DC-Amplifier_W0QQitemZ260505333723QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVintage_Electronics_R2?hash=item3ca753efdb

I bought a similar one for $40 on the same site awhile back, and I can say it was the best value purchase in audio I have ever made. Very sweet sounding receivers that can be had for a song. These pair very well with klipsch products. Give it a try (not necessarily this one, it is just for illustrative purposes) if it's not right for you, it won't cost you much.

If the link stops working: It's an early 80's Harman Kardon HK series receiver.

Years ago I drove my RF7's with a Scott 233 and they sounded fantastic. The highs were smooth and silky. When I first bought the RF7 I was running with a Yamaha HT receiver and could not stand them. These speakers do not like cheap they need power even though efficient.

If I did it again I would bi-amp them with tubes on top to horns and SS to woofer with an active crossover.

Years ago I drove my RF7's with a Scott 233 and they sounded fantastic. The highs were smooth and silky. When I first bought the RF7 I was running with a Yamaha HT receiver and could not stand them. These speakers do not like cheap they need power even though efficient.

If I did it again I would bi-amp them with tubes on top to horns and SS to woofer with an active crossover.

We have a winner!