New toy--Tubes are in the House!!!

kevinmi

Very nice indeed. nothing more cool than the glow of some tubes in a dark room. (well, a few things more cool; but, that's an entirely different topic).

have been tempted to buy a tube kit; but, i'm closing to a brain surgeon than an engineer, so I'm not too confident that i'd be able to put it together.

Big Stew, Bob's instructions are so easy to follow that even a shop rat like myself could follow them and come up with a working amp!

As far as the sound--You might have noticed that my Mac stuff is for sale in the Garage sale Forum. Absolutely sounds better than my SS amp, IMHO. I'm suprised I built something myself that sounds so awesome! Hats off to Bob Latino and his awesome amp kits! The pride knowing that you built it yourself has got to make it sound better! Plus I can proudly say that it's built in the USA, Baby! Just like the Silverados and Sierras I build! -Kevin

VERY nice!!!

What tubes are you running in it? I've had a couple of email conversations with Bob about tube choices and I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on one.

Right now I'm running JJ ECC81's on the VTA board, and the big tubes are Sovtek KT-88's. I had a tube rectifier, but had biasing issues so I went to a plug in ss rectifier, which I got from Bob also. I have Mullard tubes ordered for the board, and will probably buy some Gold Lion reissue Kt-88's to replace the Sovtek. I bought the tube kit from Bob, which had the 4 Sovteks, 2 jan 12AT7's and one JJ ECC81, plus the tube rectifier. If I had it to do over again, I would have probably just bought premium tubes from the get go. The amp sounds fine with the original tubes, but I'm curious about how premium tubes will sound. All my tube suggestions I've got from Bob also. He is very knowledgeable and helpful. -Kevin

Very nice job on that Bob Latino VTA. You will surely enjoy that for many years to come.

I have the same 60 wpc amp but mine was built built and wired by Bob himself. I got the auricap coupling cap upgrade and the power supply cap upgrade. It has been an excellent sounding and completely trouble free amp since the day I got it. Right now I am running 3 NOS Mullard driver tubes and Valve Art KT-88s, with a Sovtech rectifier tube. Very detailed, smooth, warm and extremely clean.....and man has the thing got some power.

Unfortunately, I have so much equipment that it gets very little use at the moment as it is not in my main system.

Guest davidness

I like what I see, and I went to Bob's website and looked at the kits. One thing I'm unclear about is the gold-colored transformers: Is this an option available on the kit?, did you paint them yourself? did you electroplate them?

Also, in addition, I'd love to have this kit but with a gold plated chassis. I wonder if one of those inexpensive 'green-gold' fluid kits would do the trick (you can see how little I know about these) and would allow me to apply a gold plating without covering over the screen printing?

I painted the transformet bells myself. they come black in the kit. Bob has instructions in the kit on how to disassemble and paint the transformers.

The Mullard tubes I got are the 4024 military spec that Bob recommended. I put them in last night and they sound wonderful!

post-28686-13819513122448_thumb.jpg