MONOPRICE vs Monster Cable

mrogge

I just bought 300' of Carol Cable 12g outdoor low voltage wire. Therefore, if I'm going to speak out of both sides of my mouth, I would say that it's mandantory that you get the Monster Cable and waste invest the extra expense into Monster's Chrismas Party plans! [^o)]

I just bought 300' of Carol Cable 12g outdoor low voltage wire. Therefore, if I'm going to speak out of both sides of my mouth, I would say that it's mandantory that you get the Monster Cable and waste invest the extra expense into Monster's Chrismas Party plans! Hmm

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/086/086587p1.html

more likely cars, this article was from 2000

"Along with a look at their impressive line of new game odds and ends,
we received the grand tour of Monster's offices and factory floor,
where all their high-end stereo cables are made by hand, and in
particular got a look at their "stable," which houses their car audio
demo systems (also used to spice up regular sales meetings). Said
systems include a few Porsche 911s, two BMW M5s, two Audi TTs, and a
Mercedes SLK230 Kompressor (which has, incidentally, very comfortable
seats). There was also founder Noel Lee's Ferrari 360 in the parking
lot, but nobody got near that one.
"

The Monster Cable/Klipsch thing is what is known as "co-marketing". While one of the Klipsch engineers told me that Klipsch did in fact see very slightly less distortion from the Monster Cable product, this was completely inaudible. It was done simply for co-marketing reasons.

With 13 votes against the Monser PRICED cable I think I understand the direction I need to go. But in my research for lower priced alternatives I have come across Monoprice, Blue Jeans, generic 12/2, and many others. So if the price is the SAME... then how do I pick which cable to buy? Isnt there some science to the STRAND QUANTITY? Or is all of that snake oil?

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR REPLY. This is the first forum I have ever posted to where all the replies were straight forward and honest.

It's snake oil. If the wire gague is the same, buy the cheaper. If the price is the same, buy the one you like the looks of, or the one whose handling characteristics suit you. Or flip a coin.

With 13 votes against the Monser PRICED cable I think I understand the direction I need to go. But in my research for lower priced alternatives I have come across Monoprice, Blue Jeans, generic 12/2, and many others. So if the price is the SAME... then how do I pick which cable to buy? Isnt there some science to the STRAND QUANTITY? Or is all of that snake oil?

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR REPLY. This is the first forum I have ever posted to where all the replies were straight forward and honest.

Finer (more) strands should give you a bit better conductivity but unless you are running thousands of feet between amp and speaker it won't matter. The smaller strands tend not to 'puncture' (stupid obscenity filter !) your fingers as easily [8-|]

Used monster from the Shack after Reading Several articles that said it did not make a difference as long as it was the correct gage. Tried 12 gauge Romex, house wire, after reading that single stand is better - less "skin" friction, somewhat believable if you understand how water flows through pipes - did not hear a difference but it was easy to bend the cables away from other cables etc. so I kept it. Tried CV-4 from Audioquest, heard a huge difference more detail and practically removed Static/hiss from the tweeters. Warmer in the mids, more detail in the bass. I clamped both the Romex and CV-4 directly to the screws on the cross over eliminating a spade connector that the Monster Cable had due to be a stranded cable. Went back and but more to wire from the Cross overs to the tweeters and squawkers, heard a slight improvement in the Mids, warmer, also removed the blade connectors. Having RS-7s with Heritage in the front did not bother me until I replaced the heritage wire, now the rears sound too bright/harsh. I have read much from Roger R. from McIntosh, see equip. list below. If the switch box added a bunch of noise to the signal it my hard to tell the difference in cables hooked up to the switch box. I tried a switch box to hookup my CD player with variable outs direct my amp, it was much worse than direct to the amps so i ended just unplugging until i could afford a good preamp. I am willing to take a double blind test, off to buy wire for the RS-7s. . .