Seems to be snowing!

Coytee

Good thing it's today since it's Saturday. The snow isn't really sticking on the roads although it is covering the ground. Kind of a wet slushy snow. It's good that it's snowing today because even though there is none sticking on the roads, they would need to call school off and there would be a major run on the grocery stores (still may be for all I know since I've not been in couple days).

You know the game....you go to the grocery to get a cupcake mix only to find the shelves are now almost barron because everyone is stocking up in case they're stuck in their homes for the next 3 months.

Coytee, I know what you mean by the grocery rush and school closings. It is the same way just north of ya in Lexington. I have to laugh because I remember growing up in Iowa when we would routinely get 8-12 inches during a SNOWFALL and school would be DELAYED 2 hrs at the most. It had to be a major ordeal for them to cancel school back home. We got about 1 inch here this morning but I bet school would have been cancelled, especially since it was the first snow of the season.

We got about 1 inch here this morning but I bet school would have been cancelled

Heh...exactly!

I know that I'm not in the snowbelt here...ok... I can live with that. What really struck me as funny once (meaning very absurd) is they actually cancelled school for the upcoming day on the mere FORECAST of snow. What I mean is... the day might have been Wednesday and they were forecasting 1/2 - 1 inch of snow on Thursday.... so on Wednesday, prior to the first flake falling.... they went ahead and cancelled school

Kind of a stupid side story: I used to have a Mazda Miata. Not necessarily known for being rough/tough and slugging it out in nasty conditions???

Was winter time here in Knoxville and I was at work. Wife called... said was snowing here at home (25 miles away) and I better come home "now" at noon. I laughed it off... she said my "northern arrogance" was going to get me.

I of course, laughed even more.

She called at 2:00...snow was sticking, I'd better run home NOW... I ignored.

To cut to the story, I left work at 4:00 like I always do. Headed down the road, mainly a 2 lane winding road in the country. I probably passed 20/25 vehicles that were not only on the side of the road, many of them had slid off into the ditch and MANY of them were big bad a** trucks. I just puttered on by them realizing there was nothing I could do to pull them out. I wanted to 'toot toot' my horn to say "hey big tough guy... stuck in the ditch with your 2 or 4 wheel drive truck.... how's it feel to have a wimpy Miata motor on past you?" [6]

I fought the urge to rub it in their noses after all, I still had 15 miles to go and the closer I get to home, the more rural it is.

I got all the way to the base of my 1/8 mile long gravel driveway, sliding some, being cautious some... but making it none the less. I turned to go into my driveway and could NOT make it any further. I was now stuck and the gravels were too slippery with the snow/slush on them.

I was going to tow my car home with my backhoe then realized... pffft... I can just leave it there and get it out tomorrow when all the snow melts which of course, it did.

I will admit some peverse pleasure seeing the faces of some of these truckers with their 2 or 4 wheel drive trucks stuck in the ditch and my little Miata just puttered on by.

Dont send any down here- hate the stuff. No snow removal equipment to speak of here- people drive like idiots.

We had a few inches up here in Banner Elk but it was warm enough that not too much ended up sticking on the roads.

Most people seemed to go about their business as usual.

We drove over to Bristol and back through Johnson City.

Less snow once we got out of the mountains.

-Josh

Snow turns people into idiots here- city of about 1 mil- we get 1-3 snows a year.Very little slag or removal equip. people drive like fools- hundreds of car wrecks every time. Everybody rushes out and empties the food stores- no bread- milk or beer left to buy. We generally lose power- overhead electric lines. Schools close. Huge mess.

My son lives in Boone. We have fished al over the banner Elk area and surrounding counties. Beautiful place.

• 2 weeks later...

Send some up here! I've been hoping to christen my new (to me) snowblower...

Probably my best CL acquisition ever: $50 for the correct OEM snowblower attachment for my Ariens tractor, complete, including wheel weights and tire chains, with only one season on it. [:o] The seller did not want to pay his mower mechanic to put it on and take it off, and finally got tired of tripping over it and sold it after 10 years [;)]