Older Heresy speakers

rotorcraft230

I saw a pair of Klipsch speakers in the pawn shop and I'm not sure if they are Heresys. The lable on the back says Model 700 along with a large "H" ,
H-WO-12, the serial numbers are 1E209 and 1E210. He was asking 300 for the pair. Does anyone know what these are, early Heresys or something else? How about the year they were made. The cabinets have some light scratches on them and some deeper ones. Not perfect by any means. All the drivers work and theguy said they sound good. Not having herd them myself. What might the value be if I was to go back and negociate them? Thanks Mark

Well I picked them up. I had to think hard about them because when I opened up the back there was corrosion on the tweeter magnet and on all the wood screws. The production stickers are mostly all there and both are legible, all of the drivers are original and the crossover as well. I had a feeling that something was not going to work, and sure enough both tweeters are out. I was able to get them for 200 bucks even. Not really sure I made the right choice but I bought them so now I feel obligated to bring them back the glory they once had.

What would it cost me to put new diaphrams in them, I'm assuming thats the problem since I isolated them and ohmed then out and they are open (no continunity) Can I do it myself or do they need to go somewhere to have it done?

Second, do the crossovers need work as well? Is there a way to test them? Specifications of the crossovers?

I'm going to search the site and see what I can find out as far as restoring them, I just wanted to give ya'll an update on the speakers.

Thanks Mark

I don't know what crossovers you have but you might be able to get new caps and parts for your tweeters from Bob Crites, for about 100 dollars or so. If you are quick with a soldering iron or gun replacing the parts is no problem. Congrats on the new purchase, once you get those puppy's up and running sit back and enjoy. 200 for the speakers than about 100 for parts = 300 for a nice pair of Heresies is a good deal in my book.

duder

Budman,

Am I using an older list?

jerol

Jerol; You are using the correct "list"; there was an error on the "short list" that became the basis for the reference study on the S/N's. It related to the "A" and "B" and when they were used. "A" extended into and included 1963, thus pushing the letters one year. Also, "I" was not used, thus after 1970, the letters were correct. The study was checked by Klipsch employees before publishing/posting.

Budman,

Am I using an older list?

jerol

Jerol; You are using the correct "list"; there was an error on the "short list" that became the basis for the reference study on the S/N's. It related to the "A" and "B" and when they were used. "A" extended into and included 1963, thus pushing the letters one year. Also, "I" was not used, thus after 1970, the letters were correct. The study was checked by Klipsch employees before publishing/posting.

No effort was spared in making the current Codex the most accurate, detailed information possible for Heritage fans everywhere. No employees were harmed in creating the Codex except some of those early morning calls spun my brain around pretty good. I learned to show up at 8 am ready for some detective work, that's for sure.

M