"End-All' Amps for KHorns

StickMan451

I've always used VTL 125 Mono-blocks on my 1988 Khorns. During that time I have tried many other amps but never found anything that could make me change from the 125's. They are EL-34 based with 65 watts a side. I like everything about the VTL's but I've often wondered if there is another set of mono-blocks out there that could best them; something with a little more slam, a little more depth, a little more width, a tad bit more sweetness, and so on.... Is there such thing(s) as an end-all "best" amp for the Khorns? My room is fairly large at 17w x 26L x 9h. I use a very nice tube preamp with phono, the Hovland HP-100.

Khorn owners; does the end-all Khorn amp exist?

There is no such thing. One man's trash is another man's treasure. It's all about you.

Have you tried any of the single-ended 300B or 2A3 triodes? Or any OTL valve amps?

I know...asking for the "best" always invokes that kind of response... I want something just like the EL34 125's only better in every way...

Yes, the smaller 1 to 10 watt amps just don't have the 'grunt' or 'ba$$'s' to play rock or big blues. 300B amps sound nice and clear, clean, but just a tad bit too sterile for my taste; they don't have the beauty of the EL-34's. OTL's have always sounded a little too lean for my taste and lacking in slam, punch, or grunt, even on Khorns...

Guest David H

My end all sound is has not necessarily been the amp, but rather the tubes. I prefer the sound of the EL-84 / 6BQ5's.

The Manley Mahi or Stinray, may be just right for your aural preference. Plenty of punch, clarity and detail.

post-24405-1381952590269_thumb.jpg

I've read that KT88 / 6550 based amps will give more slam than EL34 amps which excel in midrange. I've never heard a KT88 amp on KHorns.

I use a single ended 807 based amp (6 watts) on my KHorns and prefer that to a 100watt EL34-based amp I used to own. But I don't think there is a best or the end-all amp for anything. Too many variables - Listener preferences, types of music, room differences to name a few.

As artto said.... it's the ears, your ears. For me, for tubes, it's the 6L6 tube, but I have found out from experimenting that the 12AX7's in the pre section have a lot to do with how the power amp section is going to sound. You may have to play around with the pre-amp tubes a bit and see what shakes out on the EL-34's. Could be significant differences.

I like my Scott 208 6L6 amp allot but it lacks the bass weight and detail of the KT88 VRDs.

Going away from the 6DJ8 pre amp tube to my CJ with Mullards made for a deeper soundstage and a little more warmth without loss of detail.

I roll tubes only once or twice a year but think it may be a low cost method for improvement.

The VTL could use a recapping if it is a bit old. I am a beliver in audiophile grade capacitors for amps and networks if over 10 years old.

That's 3 in a row for the 6L6 (the 807 is basically a 6L6 with a top cap). So there's your Be All End All answer...OK, maybe not.

I do agree that rolling the preamp tubes changes the sound a lot. In my case with the 807s, much more change with the 6DJ8s / 6922s in the preamp section than the 807 power tubes. I've had good luck with reasonably priced NOS tubes.

Years ago I had an old Knight-Kit tube amp melt-down and burst into flames while I was out of the room -- that almost "ended it all" for me.

Seriously, though, give the Atma-Sphere OTL stuff a listen. It tends to be finicky, but when it works, it works really well. Though I've never auditioned Atma-Sphere with Klipsch, I've heard it tame some very nasty loudspeakers and actually make them listenable.

Greg

Sure read all about them here! http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/roadtour14/roadtour14.html

Komuro 212E Monoblocks

The
Western Electric 212E and the UK equivalent 4212E is a massive
direct-heated transmitting triode. Standing over 13" tall and 3 5/8" in
diameter. The small input tube is a 6463 high conductance twin triode. Komuro drives the 4212Es with a pair of triode-wired KT-88s.
The 4212E is a massive direct-heated transmitting triode. Standing over 13" tall and 3 5/8" in diameter.

Posted Image

Sure read all about them here! http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/roadtour14/roadtour14.html

Komuro 212E Monoblocks
The Western Electric 212E and the UK equivalent 4212E is a massive direct-heated transmitting triode. Standing over 13" tall and 3 5/8" in diameter. The small input tube is a 6463 high conductance twin triode. Komuro drives the 4212Es with a pair of triode-wired KT-88s.
The 4212E is a massive direct-heated transmitting triode. Standing over 13" tall and 3 5/8" in diameter.

tubeglow.jpg

I saw these at THE Show last year. Interesting, but I did not listen long enough for them to have any sort of impression on me.

• 2 months later...

this is a real enter of the dragon

if compared to usual set amps

which we all use to use for

powering horn based spkrs !

I would be happy to listen a bit more about the sound .

I never heard any amp using these triodes .

Also your Shindo pre is no usual encounter :-)

Could you write a bit more about the sound of them , synergy with pre ,overal impressions ?

txs

greg