maybe I'm just getting old, but I need to mellow out my Klipsch HT

t-man

Frist off, I've owned nothing but Klipsch speakers for 20 years. I've built many HT systems for friends/family all around the KG line, and we all love them. Right now, I have 3 KG 5.5 speaks up front, 2 KG1 in the rear (no room for rear ported speakers or floor standers), and an SVS sub. To be honest, I rarely turn the sub on, b/c the KG 5.5s have so much bass it's sick. Well, it's time to find new speakers for a smaller space. The KG 5.5s are just too darn big for me anymore since I'm getting rid of my front projection setup and going with a 60" lcd in the corner of the room. Yep, I said it - the corner of the room! Talk about suck for an HT, but my interests in extremely loud HT have gotten away from me a bit, and my wife is an aesthetics junky.

So I need some smaller bookshelf units to put next to the TV. I don't know what the heck to do about rears, but I'll figure that out once I get a set of fronts to build around. Any good recommendations for nice sounding bookshelves (used route preferred)? I have a good sub, so don't need super low frequencies - just nice comfortable sound that I can still crank up a bit when I need to(My KGs are growing a bit "harsh" to me as of late). Are those flat panel speakers any good? I've been out of the market for so long, I don't know what's good anymore (:

Thanks for any recommendations/help.

T-man

• Moderators

Yes apparently you are getting old, sorry.

" I've been out of the market for so long, I don't know what's good anymore (: "

It's still like it was in the past, there have been no big breakthroughs. What about your electronics for the Kg's, what are they ? How small do you want to go, how much $ ? How big is the room., if the Kg's sounded better would there size still be a problem ?

We need to know a little more to give an idea in the right direction to get the sound your looking for.

Thanks for the response - Yea, I'm not the loud rocker I used to be (: Still hard to go with anything but Klipsch, so I'm sticking with them.

The room is a rectangle and has a door so I can close the whole thing off. - About 15x24 in size. The room is sort of utilized in 3rds. Two thirds of the long end for HT, and the other 3rd for the kid's crap. Room partitioned with one of the couches parallel with the short walls. TV to go in corner facing joining corner of the two couches (does that make sense)

I have a Denon 5.1 receiver (at least it aint just Pro Logic - I'm not that old). It has 65Wx5 I think. Nothing too spectacular, but that's why I buy Klipsch for the efficiency. Speaker components are original. I'd use the KG 5.5s, but they are way too deep to fit due to the fire place on the short wall.

This room is so goofy with a corner TV, I've even considered one of those 2.1 solutions. Can't imagine it sounds any good, though...and it would be a waste of my SVS monster sub I'd like to continue to use.

Thanks for the response - Yea, I'm not the loud rocker I used to be (: Still hard to go with anything but Klipsch, so I'm sticking with them.

The room is a rectangle and has a door so I can close the whole thing off. - About 15x24 in size. The room is sort of utilized in 3rds. Two thirds of the long end for HT, and the other 3rd for the kid's crap. Room partitioned with one of the couches parallel with the short walls. TV to go in corner facing joining corner of the two couches (does that make sense)

I have a Denon 5.1 receiver (at least it aint just Pro Logic - I'm not that old). It has 65Wx5 I think. Nothing too spectacular, but that's why I buy Klipsch for the efficiency. Speaker components are original. I'd use the KG 5.5s, but they are way too deep to fit due to the fire place on the short wall.

This room is so goofy with a corner TV, I've even considered one of those 2.1 solutions. Can't imagine it sounds any good, though...and it would be a waste of my SVS monster sub I'd like to continue to use.

Budget? If I can find good used speaks and keep it under 1000.... Then I can sell of my KGs (but I don't want to.....it took me so long to find the ones I wanted in perfect shape)

i just did a 2.1 for a friend. i used RB-61's and was amazed how good they sounded. they were more than happy with them and was also impressed at the sound. it's reference series so i don't know if you like that type of sound. you could go with the smaller KG series that people use are rear book shelf speakers. i guess that would be the best choice since you like KG.

I own some KG .5s for my computer setup and while they are good you would absolutely need a subwoofer with them. If I were you I'd look into some nice reference bookshelfs to put next to the tv. I love my RF-5s so I would imagine the Rb-5s would be a good bet. They should put out a good bit of bass down into the 30s and definitely should appeal to the wife more than the KG series. I havent heard the new reference line but something like the rb-61 or rb-81 should also fit the bill nicely. Good luck

There is a used pair of RB-5s on ebay for 350 buy it now. New RB-61s on ebay for 399, though. I prefer the look of the older reference with the dust caps but that is entirely up to you. RB-5s are just slightly more efficent at 96 db/w to 95 db/w and I would think have a little more output being a 8" woofer instead of the 6.5.

i am pretty sure sounddistributors has the RB-61's for less. best guy to go to. call him up, his name is Erik. like i said i was shocked how nice they sounded. i was using a Denon receiver in case you were curious.

I have the 61's and multiple pairs of RB 5's and IMHO, there is no comparison, the 5's are a better choice and can be had for 200-300 for a very clean pair. The fact that you are trying to do this in a corner shouldn't present a problem with the rear ported 5's. On second thought, you could bribe your wifes friends into telling her it will look like crap in the corner, and keep what you have.[:D]