The Who: Best Superbowl Half-time Show Ever....imo

Daddy Dee

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great setlist. I thought Townsend and Daultry were out of sync quite a bit but hey, they ain't kids anymore! No way Daultry can still hit those notes. Not bad for a SB halftime show (mostly nostalgic). Was this the first British band to do it?

I thought the Stones did one.Good show,great stage.

Steve.

Come on, tell!

Lets just say that I've never seen so many talentless hacks parading around a stage like that, attempting "perform" anything that even resembled music (and to think these are supposed to be major recording stars!). No wonder pop music has gone down the toilet. That thing with Justin TimberFake and Janet Jackass at the end with the boobs was only the final straw (not like I've seen that part of women's anatomy, but during a superbowl game when there is some 130+ million watching?). I am so glad that the NFL told MTV after that, they will never be involved with another half-time show ever again. Look at the quality of the half-time shows since! There has been some really good ones, in the past few years. The one tonight with the The Who was definitly one of the better ones. I was also impressed with the Stones, Prince, and Paul McCartney as well, to name a few good ones since.

Steve,

Oh yeh. Thanks for reminding me. That was a real disaster.

One thing about the Prince show, and I have never been a Prince fan, That guy was a real showman. He played in the rain and I was more impressed than anytime I'd ever seen him play.

McCartney was awesome.

I think it was fun, but lacked in the music department and without the man on bass???? Drummer did OK, and it did have me pull out some old stuff and crank it up a bit.

Entwistle also experimented throughout his career with "bi-amping," where the high and low ends of the bass sound are sent through separate signal paths, allowing for more control over the output. At one point his rig became so loaded with speaker cabinets and processing gear that it was dubbed "Little Manhattan," in reference to the towering, skyscraper-like stacks, racks and blinking lights.

His "full treble, full volume" approach to bass sound was originally supposed to be captured in the bass solo to "My Generation". According to Entwistle, his original intention was to feature the distinctive Danelectro Longhorn bass, which had a very twangy sound, in the solo, but the strings kept breaking. Eventually, he recorded a simpler solo using a pick with a Fender Jazz Bass strung with LaBella tapewound strings. This solo bass break is important as it is one of the earliest bass solos (if not the first) captured on a rock record. A live recording of The Who exists from this period (c. 1965), with Entwistle playing a Danelectro on "My Generation", giving an idea of what that solo would have sounded like.ing some sound for sure.