"New" (to me) Khorns

itlldue

Thought I'd show you my newest acquisition.

When I went stereo shopping in 1979, I had pretty myuch decided on buying my Sansui AU719/TU717 setup, and went speaker listening. I stumbled into a stereo shop in Sacramento that was a little too upper end for my wallet, but I went in for a look. In the back room they had a set of Khorns set up for demo. They were way to far out of my price range, but I never forgot the sound. I swore some day I'd own a pair. I spotted these for sale for $1800 on a semi-local CL. I waited a week, then asked if they were still for sale. I told the owner that although the asking price was fair, the most I would spend is $1000. After a few days my offer was accepted. The owner preferred that they go to someone who would use them so we made the deal. Two hour road trip one way to get them, but well worth it.

They have the normal occasional scatch, but nothing serious. I'm curious about a few things. First, they are "OL", Oak Lacquered. Most that I've seen were a single piece front, where these have "panels". Is that common or not? Also, according to the database, in 1989 they switched to the AK3 crossover. These are serial number(s) 891225, 8912206, 8912207, and 8912208. The labels are hard to read because they're faded so bad, and since the numbers aren't stamped in them, I wonder if the 8912225 is a typo? Since these appear to have been built in the first week of 89, it's interesting that they have theAK2 crossover instead of the AK3. Makes no difference to me. They're something I have always wanted, and these have a home forever now.

Here they are:

Posted Image

See: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/103886.aspx for complete serial data and codes.

The reason they appear paneled is because the pieces of veneer that made up the sheet that covers the bin are/were "bookmatched", as in the patterns repeats itself. Normally it's not that striking. If you look at them upside down, the dark ones will be light and light ones dark.

AK2 is not bad, the 3 was better (by most accounts). Listen to them for a couple months and then talk to Bob Crites and others about "upgrading" to 3.

After 1985 (IIRC), they started serial numbering the tops and the bottoms, so each "pair" has 4 serials.

The only way.... to make the veneer on the front appear more "even" would be to remove the lacquer, lightly sand and re-apply a stain, etc. You will still, with oak, see that veneer sheet boundary. It's a real pain and not really worth it as they appear to be in very nice condition.

Hope that is of some assistance.

The reason they appear paneled is because the pieces of veneer that made up the sheet that covers the bin are/were "bookmatched", as in the patterns repeats itself. Normally it's not that striking. If you look at them upside down, the dark ones will be light and light ones dark.

I really like the "bookmatched" look. Those are beautiful!! Very Clean. I am sure you have looked at them upside down and inside out. Congratulations!

Wow! A beautiful pair of Khorns! I think I've been in that "High End" speaker shop in Sacramento and I can't afford much in there, now.

Thanks for the story and the great picture. Sorry, I can't answer any of your questions. But I am sure someone can.

Dennie

Wow! A beautiful pair of Khorns! I think I've been in that "High End" speaker shop in Sacramento and I can't afford much in there, now.

Thanks for the story and the great picture. Sorry, I can't answer any of your questions. But I am sure someone can.

Dennie

If you were in Sacramento back then, I bought my Sansui setup (AU719, TU717, SE7, and SC1330) at Lombards on Arden Way. That's the system currently powering the Khorns right now.

Dennie

If you were in Sacramento back then, I bought my Sansui setup (AU719, TU717, SE7, and SC1330) at Lombards on Arden Way. That's the system currently powering the Khorns right now.

I moved to Sacramento in 1968 and barely remember Lombards. I don't think I ever stopped in. I was thinking FXAudio on Howe Ave. I've been in the "Back Room" a couple of times for short Demo's. But I think they knew I wasn't going to buy these...........

attachment.php?attachmentid=32314&stc=1&

Dennie[;)]