FYI: Kingsford "Competition" charcoal

oscarsear

So I run low on BBQ briquettes. I am at Costco and there's the double pack of the 'new' Kingsford Competition Briquettes for "searing and slow cooking, made from REAL hardwoods". I've used Kingsford for years and really did not buy it expecting much different. I use soaked wood chips (I mix cherry and hickory) for smoking anyway. Besides it was all Costco had. I have used them twice now. Just so you know they burn really, really fast. I mean from ignition to ready of a big pile in under 10 minutes on a windless day. Then, as a matter of course, they burn out fast. Your BBQ window of opportunity is fleeting unless you plan to replenish. I have no idea who at Kingsford decided they were good for slow cooking unless you have no problem using an entire 25 lb bag, or two (I am sure that Kingsford thinks that's a good idea). In a way they are more performance predictable and the taste is fine (nothing special). If you get some just be prepared. They burn a lot different than their regular product. If you use a chimney style starter they'll be ashes in minutes.

Thanks for the heads up. I had a Costco coupon and almost bought them before I realized how expensive they were compared to regular Kingsford charcoal. I think I'll stick to the old tried and true!

And yes, I do use the chimney starter which might be the best bbq invention since the original weber grill!

I experienced the same fast burn problem this week. Yep, double bag from Costco. I thought my sense of time was messed up, because when I went out to dump the charcoal out of the chimney, it had burned down by 50%! I'll have to locate the regular charcoal. Costco also offered the Match Light version. I've never used that, fearing there might be some weird chemical smell or taste it would impart. Home Depot usually has good deals on Kingsford...

For slow smoking I've found a product by afire which is 100% natural coconut charcoal.

Glad to hear you are using "natural" coconut charcoal. I shudder to contemplate the arcane and sickening acts you would perform while using "unnatural" charcoal.

So where are they getting this coconut charcoal from? Have Gilligan and Skipper gone into business, utilizing a product developed by the Professor with financial backing from the Howell's, promoted by Ginger and with back office operations carried out by Mary Ann.

Sadly the tree cover's now gone, erosion has set in, and they were forced to vacate their tropical isle.

Nice going OT.

Someboby gave me a bag of "natural charcoal" last year. I immediately ditched the Kingsford. My kamato will easily start without fluid and cook pork- Boston butts, Tenderloin or baby backs to perfection. I statred searing my steaks on the Weber side burner in a black iron pan and finishing them up at 450 in the oven. I have not used charcoal for cooking steaks since- after 30 years of using kingsford.

The natural black wood chip charcoal is worth the difference in price IMHO.

I hope to upgrade to a Green Egg for pork and chicken as soon as I can find one that somebody is growing tired of.

Basically, yeah. You can read all about it here:

www.afireinc.com

The idea was to get ginger and mary ann dependent upon my, well, umm, cooking.

I went to that site and they say that their product "can be" sustainable. Gee, that's pretty close to be eco-freindly.

Oh that reminds me, I once had a job as a cocunut cracker. The job consisted of sitting under a tree, and well I'm sure you can figure it out from their.

• Moderators

I hope this innocent Kingsford warning doesn't turn into a macho bbq bragger's thread.

That's what I was hoping for, but NO pictures please, I can't take it, I will be up looking for food.

If you use a chimney style starter they'll be ashes in minutes.

Yep , they work better lit the old fashion way . Still you can get your meat cooked but you have to replenish to do anything else . Man I have to get a gas grill . Love the flavor charcoal provides but would definitely dig the convieniance of gas . I would still have a traditional grill as well . Posted ImageMmmm , bark ...

Charcoal is nice but propane is just too convenient I use gas all the time now, made burgers tonight, some T bone steaks the other day, the gas grill is always ready to go. [:)]

The force is very powerful in my gas grill, I must obey..........