Death or Taxes

thebes

I've just reviewed the disjointed and rather confusing screed visiting upon our current President sole responsibility for every tax leveled by this Republic since it's inception. This has lead me to slightly rearrange Ben Franklin's famous nostrum from "death and taxes" to death or taxes". A subtle difference you say, ah but the devil's in the details I say.

Me?

Why my votes decidedly in the taxes category, since I've often found that death is the ultimate limitation on any question.

Now normally at this time I would invite sage commentary by the Forum's leading lights, luminaries, hangers on, and the vox populi in general. However, I have observed that our hard working moderator is on vacation and am therefore reluctant to initiate a contretemps, and further divide this great nation.

Death!

Taxes!

The debate rages on.

But no, it does not, for I have just launched the first self-locked thread in Forum history. That's right, this thread is self-locked and you may not reply. So keep your powder dry, bide your time, and save your vitriol for my upcoming thread on:

What truly is Americas favorite sport:

Baseball, football or Roller Derby.

Stay tuned.

Ok, I'll allow the Texas exception to the self-locked thread.

Texas is a big state and probably has a lot of death and/or taxes, and no and/or is not a recasting of the question.

Which you can't answer anyways because this is a self-locked thread.

Careful now Russ. You are bordering on commentary (kinda funny commentary at that) and that is also not allowed in a self locked thread.

I've just reviewed the disjointed and rather confusing screed visiting upon our current President sole responsibility for every tax leveled by this Republic since it's inception. This has lead me to slightly rearrange Ben Franklin's famous nostrum from "death and taxes" to death or taxes". A subtle difference you say, ah but the devil's in the details I say.

No country upon earth ever had it more in its power to attain these blessings than United America. Wondrously strange, then, and much to be regretted indeed would it be, were we to neglect the means and to depart from the road which Providence has pointed us to so plainly; I cannot believe it will ever come to pass.

George Washington, letter to Benjamin Lincoln, June 29, 1788

much to be regretted indeed would it be, were we to neglect the means and to depart from the road which Providence has pointed us to so plainly

Er, just what was that road that Providence has pointed America to? Without any context, that statement is so non-specific that it could be used to justify almost anything.

much to be regretted indeed would it be, were we to neglect the means and to depart from the road which Providence has pointed us to so plainly

Er, just what was that road that Providence has pointed America to? Without any context, that statement is so non-specific that it could be used to justify almost anything.

I knew a girl named Providence--and she was known to point from time-to-time.

Death

no wait taxes...taxes!!!

Close call! Glad you made the right choice.

(Not to mention liability issues associated with encouraging people to make such a choice.)

All I can say is I' m happy this is a self-locked thread, thereby freeing my fellow Klipschers from committing themselves one way or another.

By the way is Arkansas anywhere near Texas? I'm suspicious. There could be a trend going on here.

Sorry about that last post (only if anyone took offence). With Amy on vacation what I really meant was gun control, er religion, er maybe politics or really rather the interaction between gun control politics and religion and the fallacy thereof since there is only one true religion. And it says nothing much about gun control except as regarding the political aspect of paying taxes with or without representation and therefore taxes on guns, and of course religion. Wait, did I mention Klipsch? Ahh, there it is.