My turn to build JC's DBB

Rudy81

• 1 year later...

Time to resurrect an old thread. It looks like I'm inheriting these cabinets and I have no idea where to start in choosing woofers, HF horns and drivers (I'm thinking a 2-way system is suitable to start?), and crossovers. It looks like Rudy was into active crossovers, but it seems a bit out of my league - after all, I still haven't set up my lil'mike cinema F-20 sub with a BFD. So I'm assuming I can create a passive crossover?

is there a tiered approach I can take to making these speakers, like say .. "budget", "quality but affordable", and "annual bonus"? keep in mind I've had a crash course into DIY audio with my home theater sub, but that Carl held my hand the entire way.

I had the P. Audio 4525 2" horn in my top hat for the DBBs.....FYI.

I don't think they are available any more, but at least you will be able to find the dimensions of the horns that were in there at one time.

This picture was what it looked like originally.

As far as woofers, give Dave Harris or Bob Crites a shout. They can also help you with 2" drivers and crossovers....it'll be fairly easy.

post-10337-13819853470904_thumb.jpg

after some late night window shopping..

would the Faital HF200 drivers mate well to the Goldwood GM-450PB 2" High Frequency Horn? And would that combo go well with Bob Crites' CW1526 woofers (or CW1526C, not sure which is needed)? Or do I need the same Eminence Kappalite's that were in here previously? And then a custom passive crossover that presumably Bob can make?

It's gonna take me some time to buy everything, but I'd like to figure out what my component targets are. These ideally will be in my possession for quite a while, so I don't mind buying more expensive options that will last. I'm leaning towards passive crossovers just so that I have a lower cost of entry to enjoying these, as it relates to the number of amps and source components.. Active xo's very well could be in the future..

I have owned those drivers and they are excellent choices. The HF200 is just outstanding for the price.

Ever since the guys talked me into going active, I have never looked back. Give it some thought now and you will be glad you did. Going active will provide much more flexibility for you than a passive crossover.

For passives you could all so contact Al, and see what he recommends. Some of his crossovers can be built for a lower cost via diy.

it's easy to assume that everyone knows everyone around here. Can you be more specific about who Al is and how to reach him? :P

You might want to go 2 way with Dave's ElipTrac400 & a 2" driver

& one of Al's AP12-500 networks I use a B&C DE750TN16 with those(these have a great sound )

some have great success with the

B&C DE85TN as well 
Dave has a kit that can save a wad if you assemable the horns yourself
 http://mysite.verizon.net/res12il11/id110.html

Al's link http://www.alkeng.com/klipsch.html

I have bought many networks from Al, he has made custom networks for me as well

here's AL's website , you can call Al , he's more than happy to help , very freindly,very nice,easy to talk to

For passives you could all so contact Al, and see what he recommends. Some of his crossovers can be built for a lower cost via diy.

it's easy to assume that everyone knows everyone around here. Can you be more specific about who Al is and how to reach him? :P

Sorry about that, I hope fastslappy was able to answer your question. Al is very nice to talk to and very helpful.