Grasshoppers

jwwrs

Thought I would ask about this since the forum covers such a wide range of the U.S.

Has anyone noticed a lack or total absence of grasshoppers this year? Also, honeybees. I'm not suggesting this has anything to do with the oil spill, but in the past, by this time of the year you would see grasshoppers and honeybees everywhere. When you have these benificial inscects dissappear you can bet your @ss that there is gonna be a problem further up the food chain. I have not seen a single grasshopper and very few honeybees this year.

I can remember when I was a child that going barefoot outside meant that you were going to get stung when stepping on a bee, probably several times during the course of the summer.

So, what about where you are? Any similar observations?

Randall

Thought I would ask about this since the forum covers such a wide range of the U.S.

Has anyone noticed a lack or total absence of grasshoppers this year? Also, honeybees. I'm not suggesting this has anything to do with the oil spill, but in the past, by this time of the year you would see grasshoppers and honeybees everywhere. When you have these benificial inscects dissappear you can bet your @ss that there is gonna be a problem further up the food chain. I have not seen a single grasshopper and very few honeybees this year.

I can remember when I was a child that going barefoot outside meant that you were going to get stung when stepping on a bee, probably several times during the course of the summer.

So, what about where you are? Any similar observations?

Randall

Lots of grasshopers here. I've noticed a rise in Mantises. They are really cool. Last year I saw one rip the head off a roach and eat it. Go MANTIS!

• Moderators

Yesterday I was outside by the tractor shed and seen a grasshopper, the strange part is it was being carried by a wasp, it was one of the big green grasshoppers and was bigger than the wasp. I had no idea they ate grasshoppers.

We do have a ton of frogs here, little green ones and bull frogs, it is so loud at night you can hardly talk when on the porch.

Had a hive put in a month ago. Cordovan Queen Bee. Very docile. You can get within 1 to 2 feet of the hive before they decide you may be a stranger. I had a huge stand of wild plum trees covered in blossoms recently. I did not see a single bee on any of the over 150 trees. That is when I decided our neighborhood needed some bee help. Not a bad deal. Another person takes care of the hive and we split the honey. Win-Win.

Have not seen any grasshopers.

Lots of fireants and scorpions tho.

Over the last year or so, there have been reports of bees dissappearing. Whole hives turning up empty.This can be bad for a lot of pollenation that still needs to take place with many of our crops. Researchers aren't sure why, just yet.

We have plenty of yellowjackets here... [:(]

Haven't seen any grasshoppers yet, but it's been too wet, probably.

Last year, I was working at a squadron of missile launch facilities in north-central Montana - no shortage of grasshoppers there. After a wind storm, a bunch of them were impaled on the barbed wire around one of the launch facilities.

post-17394-13819585225752_thumb.jpg

I do a lot less spraying on my property now (2-4-D), preferring to spot spray the dandelions instead of coating the entire lawn in poison. Partly this is for the health of my pets, but it has helped the insect and bird population. Especially butterflies, they must be very susceptible to sprays as nearly any spraying will deter them for weeks.

The frogs at Dtels are so loud that it sounds like dogs barking sometimes. Incredible stuff.

Haven't seen any fireflies yet, anyone have them yet?

M

• Moderators

I agree, Colter. I hand pull all my dandelions - can't stand the chemical stuff. Plus it is quite theraputic. [:)]

We rarely see crickets in our suburban neighborhood, but I have noticed a severe lack of fireflies (lightning bugs) over the past several seasons. Hopefully they are still found in great numbers in the country.

Fireflies appear in no where near the numbers. When I was a kid the neighborhood would look amazing. What you see no pales in comparison. Not sure what has caused this. The little girl next door to me used to wipe the lightning bug tales on her pants and teeth so they would glow. Ahhh she was so cool.

The grasshoppers seem to have moved out around here or are still dormant, if that's the right word; but I'm still hoping that the over abundance of rain the past two months is the cause of this.

As far as fireflies, the past several years had me wondering about them too. This year, however, has resulted in a vast resurgence of them. I live in town, but go outside at night and it's a true lightshow.

I guess since it seems that quite a few folks have spotted or have the grasshoppers and honeybees maybe it's just a natural insect thing. I hope that is the case. God knows, we ourselves cause enough (read basically all) problems with the enviroment.

Randall

I hand pull all my dandelions

Do you use a dandelion knife? They're a tool with a flat end with a notch in the middle of it to cut the root. You're right, it is sort of satisfying to remove all the dandelions from the lawns.

As for bees, we lost most of the ones on Vancouver Island over the winter (possibly due to Colony Collapse Disorder, as well as a number of other factors) and a recent law change was proposed to allow farmers to bring in bee species that are not native to the Island (we've got quite a few types that are only found here, apparently), but there's some resistance to the idea.

CBC News report about Island bees: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2010/03/09/bc-vancouver-island-bees-die.html

More info on CCD here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colony_collapse_disorder

As for grasshoppers, I've never seen any in the city.

• Moderators

Do you use a dandelion knife? They're a tool with a flat end with a notch in the middle of it to cut the root.

I use a weed puller that looks like a snake's tongue - is that what you mean? Doesn't cut the root, but rather pulls the entire thing out, roots and all. Love it.

I use no pesticides on my yard- spot spray with round up or weed be gone to kill the crabgrass and dandelions. I have grasshoppers- bees- wasps- yellowjackets- flies-misquitos- you name it

I dont even buy bait sometime when I go to the lake- catch those big green grasshoppers in the long grass beside the lake- bass love them

you want insects and bugs-- we got em- send me your address- i will send you all you want.

Bunnies love dandelions. Don't use round up or other herbicides because you will be drinking it later as it works its way into the water supply. Treatment can help eliminate these contaminants but the more is used the higher the cost of treatment therefore the higher the cost of water. Green can also be cheap.