The 2010 Picky Report

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FRIDAY AFTERNOON:

On our way out to the Klipsch factory for the working plant tour, we noticed that the tens of thousands of FEMA trailers from Hurricane Katrina that were sitting here at the Hope Airport back in 2006 are still sitting here. A few have been removed, but many appear to have aged greatly and fallen into disrepair...

post-10177-13819598205452_thumb.jpg

post-10177-13819616332702_thumb.jpg

This is just a teaser for the moment, folks: Here we are arriving at the Klipsch Factory for our afternoon, working plant tour. Plenty more phtos will be coming folks, but I need to pack my bags so we can check out of our hotel and get on the road back to Dr. Who's place in the Chicago area. We've got a 14 hour drive ahead of us today. More photos will be posted tomorrow, after we get back a sleep a bit...

post-10177-13819598206722_thumb.jpg

post-10177-13819616334022_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the great reporting Picky, although I was beginning to think it was all about the tent (I guess it is for quite a few hours).

I'd be interested to know what size trailer was used to haul the KP600's and what the load order was. Did Steve put some of the cabinets in the truck- that looks like a 4x10 unit that will NOT accomodate a MCM stack, I've tried.

M

fyrpwr (center) warns Jay (left), Customsteve01 (obstructed from view) and Michael Hurd to get a good grip because this is one of the heaviest pieces; the Klipsch KP-680-SW subwoofers with two 18" drivers....

All good experienced help from previous outings. Actually the KP 650 LF (middle cab in the stack) is the heaviest component- two 15" drivers but a lot more cabinet material to create the manifold and horn (patent to R. Delgado on that one).

Klipsch KT-680-SW Subwoofer back....

I see that Dave, Bill H, or Steve has made the modification from the original EP4 and EP8 connectors (mil-spec), to Neutrik Speakon (Rock and Roll spec). Does anyone have information as to whether the original wiring was changed out, also the XLR connectors in the HF pack, were they left in place? One of the engineering specs on the KP600 setup is that each driver (aside from very HF motors) was individually accessible via test point so you could check to see if each driver was working correctly. This would also speed driver repair as you'd always open the correct hatch. This is why 4 conductor cabling and plugs were used in cabinets that had two drivers, even if they were wired in parallel.

Dr.Who says..."MMMMmmmmm...Horns!" LOL

Really nice job on those cabinets Steve. I mentioned to Bill and CCH that your horns appear to be from a different mold or material as they appear much smoother than any of the others. Could you post a thread of the refurbish steps you took?

Michael

I see that Dave, Bill H, or Steve has made the modification from the original EP4 and EP8 connectors (mil-spec), to Neutrik Speakon (Rock and Roll spec). Does anyone have information as to whether the original wiring was changed out, also the XLR connectors in the HF pack, were they left in place? One of the engineering specs on the KP600 setup is that each driver (aside from very HF motors) was individually accessible via test point so you could check to see if each driver was working correctly. This would also speed driver repair as you'd always open the correct hatch. This is why 4 conductor cabling and plugs were used in cabinets that had two drivers, even if they were wired in parallel.

Michael,

Steve changed out the EP4 and EP8 connectors for the Neutrik.

Roger

Dr.Who says..."MMMMmmmmm...Horns!" LOL

Really nice job on those cabinets Steve. I mentioned to Bill and CCH that your horns appear to be from a different mold or material as they appear much smoother than any of the others. Could you post a thread of the refurbish steps you took?

Michael

Michael,

Steves KP-600s, and mine, both have the rough texture, flat finish horn lense surface that yours have, Steve has just painted them, just like he replaced his KP-600 handles with ones off of MWM bins, and used stainless screws. Kevin Harmons set is the one that has shiny gloss jell coated horns from the Klipsch factory and brand new factory cloth grills with minty orriginal KP-600 badges.

Roger

Thanks for the updates, Picky!!!

It appears that the tent erection went up in a much safer safer manner than in 2006.

No tractors, Trey not having to climb poles, not having to tie the tent to a stage, and no torrential downpour after it was up.

Thanks again, Picky and I'm bummin that I was unable to attend.

JJ

Thanks for the wonderful write up and pictures Glenn! Can't wait to see the rest.

Steve - those KP 600's look awesome. I bet they sound as good or better than they look.

Trey - even though I couldn't attend, thanks for all your hard work in putting together one heck of a show - on top of your part in the Pilgrimage.

My thanks, too, to Glenn for his fine pics and especially for ID'ing the people. Lotta good work there!

I wish I'd been there too, to connect names with people/avatars and hear Heritage and Palladium setups. Every bit of it always very worthwhile.

Well after driving home from Hope to eastern Iowa last night, I got some rest and am back up for the rest of my Sunday.

What a great experience I had at the pilgrimage and it was so nice to get to see you all again! I thought that the sound of the PA at the show was absolutely stunning. Crystal clear, tight punch, it sounded REALLY good. I went out all the out out past the concession and restrooms and it still sounded so clear and Klipsch-like. Amazing.

Thanks to Trey Cannon, Jim Hunter, Steve Phillips, the plant management team that gave us tours, the other Klipsch employee from Indy that ran sound in the KHorn/Palladium room (I didn't catch your name), and everyone else who helped make this such a great event for all who attended.

Jim's work on the Klipsch Archives was very informative and fun to see. He's really in his element digging into the historical details, and its going to be something special for the ages when he completes his work.

At the PWK "artifact" auction, I placed the winning bid on a Heresy midhorn that PWK had done some experimentation on with sound dampening coating, It'll be a nice conversation piece on top of my '79 Heresy's from now on!

We were given an opportunity to enter Paul Klipsch's office up in the Wounded Buffalo engineering building, that was a special experience.

We heard Jubilees in one room, and in another room we heard 60th Anniv KHorns next to Palladium P-39Fs (flagship). I was amazed at the performance of the Palladiums, they sounded very accurate and pure, while the KHorns imparted its own "live performance" sound onto the presentation. They both sounded great, but to me the 39s took the "exceeding expectations" blue ribbon (OK, tied for first with the PA at the park concert)

The plant tour was magical for me, it was really cool to see the place where most of my Klipsch loudspeakers were born. It was interesting to see the sets of Khorns at the ready (it was said that they try to have a pair of Khorns in each of the 3 main finishes built up to some level, ready to be finished, to expedite delivery when orders come in). There were several Cornwall cabinets built up and awaiting finishing and assembly--It was said that all of the Cornwalls were spoken for, ie there was someone out there who had placed an order for each set and was awaiting delivery. Also saw a few Heresy III cabinets awaiting final finish and build. There weren't any La Scala II's in any stage of production, they said that they were built to order and weren't prebuilt like KHorns. They were building RF-7 classics during the friday live plant tour, I was amazed to see the way they layout the 4 sides of the cabinet, lining them up perfecly flat and square, then they apply tape to the joints to hold them true while they filip over the whole "page" and apply glue and bracing, then they fold the whole thing together and the edges stay true while the glue dries. The tape is removed after the glue dries and the edges look perfect. Very cool. I am getting close to ordering cornwall III's or La Scala II's after going through the plant tour, I want to get custom veneer too, maybe zebrawood...

I also really enjoyed seeing the Klipsch museum across the road from the plant, Jim did a great job of telling stories for each item. He said that the web video of the museum is now up online so I need to watch that pretty soon!

A side note, we ate BBQ ribs at the Big Jake's BBQ restaurant and I thought it was ideal! The ribs are perfect and the sauce is right there too, which makes for magic tastiness!

I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but those are the things that are standing out right now. You all take care, safe travels. I really enjoyed see you all again and can't wait til we can do it again!

A special thanks to Fred Klipsch and the other folks at Klipsch who decided to bring back the pilgrimage this year after a year off in 2009. Each and every one of us appreciate how special it is for you to welcome us into your organization each year.

Kimball